Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Nov 22, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #10,967 of 12,086
I bought the rings when I got the Dekoni pads and preferred them without the rings. It's all personal preference but look at the link in my signature, you can compare stock pad frequency response to the Dekoni pads. In reality bass is about the same between the two, the stock pads don't get a good seal on my flat plate coupler.

Nov 22, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #10,969 of 12,086
@svartr they are different. The Massdrop version is required to maintain a similar tuning to stock.

9935965_l.png

Nov 22, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #10,971 of 12,086
So the Dekoni sheepskin pads made specifically for the X00 as marked on the box are the only pads that will maintain a similar tuning to stock?

I also wonder if there's anyone in the headfi community that knows how to install detachable connectors like on the TH610. There are so many detachable connector options out there at the moment that I don't even know which is best. I've heard some mods causes the cups to sit further out increasing the gap or even involves drilling a hole on the inside of the cup. I'm looking for a connector that utilizes a twist to lock mechanism and doesn't stick out the hifman SMC style connectors.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #10,974 of 12,086
So you mean to say there are non mass-drop dekoni sheepskin pads out there?
there are Dekoni TH-900 ear pads and they fit X00 but they are changing stock sound. Look at the graph on the top of the page - green and blue are Dekoni TH-900 ear pads (that can be purchased directly from Dekoni) while red is massdrop dekoni X00 pads
That's why i'm waiting for another earpads drop.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #10,975 of 12,086
Hi guys,

I only recently learned about the Lawton mods for the THX00. It's quite expensive (from my view) so before I pull the trigger I'd like to ask people who have installed it if the difference is significant? Or am I better off saving the money towards another set of cans?

My biggest gripes with the THX00 so far are the earpads and the bass. The earpads are uncomfortable after a while and make my ears sweat. The bass is a tad on the heavy side for me but not a deal breaker.

Nov 23, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #10,977 of 12,086
So the Dekoni sheepskin pads made specifically for the X00 as marked on the box are the only pads that will maintain a similar tuning to stock?

I also wonder if there's anyone in the headfi community that knows how to install detachable connectors like on the TH610. There are so many detachable connector options out there at the moment that I don't even know which is best. I've heard some mods causes the cups to sit further out increasing the gap or even involves drilling a hole on the inside of the cup. I'm looking for a connector that utilizes a twist to lock mechanism and doesn't stick out the hifman SMC style connectors.
The only connector that will fit without cutting/drilling and will not stick out like the SMC connectors that I know of is the MMCX connector but the MMCX does not have a twist lock and was designed for and primarily used on IEMs. They are used on Shure headphones but these connectors are not very secure and are easily damaged from my limited experience with them on my SRH-1840. I've tried them on my SennGrado also but quickly changed them out for SMC connectors.
The person you might want to talk to is @PETEREK or some of the companies like Moon Audio that say they "hack" headphones.

Nov 23, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #10,978 of 12,086
So I can't convert to the E-MU or Th-610 connectors without altering the cups and frame.

Th610 connectors look a lot better than the E-MU pus the black matches up with the black x00 frame and ebony cups
Product_card_20170728114326.jpg

fostex_th610_04.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #10,979 of 12,086
I guess I should take this review with a grain of salt.
For his initial review of the x00 ebony, he states they are more lay back and sit somewhere between the mahogany and purple heart.
Then in the E-mu review states the E-mu are a more refined/laid back version of the x001 which matches the sound signature of the x00 ebony but then says out of the x00 trio, he hates the ebony but loves the other 2. What?? So contradictory.

Nov 23, 2017 at 1:51 AM Post #10,980 of 12,086
If you really want the removable connectors it might be easier to get the TH-610 and mod the driver (Lawton mod, and alternative pads) than trying to install the TH-610 connectors on to your TH-X00. FWIW I'd rather have the SMC connector over the HD6XX connector since its a more secure connection to me and seems to last longer (built a few cables for friends with HD600/HD650 since the cup side connectors were getting worn). I don't care for the 2.5mm jacks unless its implemented like in the HD700 where there is a keyed area that actually has some structure to support the barrel of the jack. The other jack that I've seen used in a TH-900 was the HD800 connectors but this will require cutting of the cups, frame and baffle.

I think you are placing too much of the differences in sound on the various woods since they all use the same driver so mods to the driver could/might be able to achieve some of the effect of the various woods. To me the bigger issue are the ear pads of the TH-X00 series and also with the TH-610 as to how one perceives these headphones, for me the stock ear pads were very uncomfortable and never fit right compared to the stock ear pads of the TH-600 and TH-900 which with some driver mods sounded quite a bit better than the TH-X00 that I had at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back