Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Nov 23, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #10,983 of 12,086
IMO, the sooner you stop watching/listening to Zeos, the better.
I don’t know the guy but I think that’s a little unfair. He may not be as ‘learnered’ as some of the more mainstream audiophile reviewers out there but then he never pretends to be anything more than a guy who loves his sound and has his opinions like everyone else. At least he’s thoroughly entertaining on most of his reviews, and I appreciate him calling bull when something really is bull.

He was spot on with his TH-X00 review for me. Maybe not so much the LCD fazor review, but he has his own views on what he enjoys. Much like the rest of us.

I’d rather watch his reviews over any of those dry, pretentious, big worded videos that pass off as respectable nowadays.

Nov 23, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #10,984 of 12,086
It's really annoying the Attenuation Rings aren't included with the dekoni sheepskin pads. I know some people don't use the ring and apparently doesn't change the sound however i dont want to risk ripping the pads. *Sigh* now i have to dish out $20 to get them shippping to Australia. What a pain arhhh

Nov 23, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #10,986 of 12,086
It's absurd dekoni charges $20 for two cheap plastic rings
Fungus - consider compiling all the things you have to say at a certain time into one post, for a total of 1-2 posts a day tops. You could have easily done that with your last several posts or at least the last two could have been combined. Just a suggestion. It makes it easier to read through these forums. No offense, just consider that.

Nov 25, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #10,987 of 12,086
I see that Massdrop has the Dekoni Audio Premium Earpadz for Fostex drop going again. I keep looking at the hybrid ones. But spending $55 on my $225 purpleheart just seems like a lot. Granted, I lucked into a crazy half price deal on the headphones themselves but sheesh, these are just earpads. It offends my ultra stingy, parsimonious upbringing.

Can anyone who's gotten these or the plain velour or the fenistrated sheepskin give impressions? I searched on hybrid in this thread and didn't find anything really.

Nov 25, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #10,988 of 12,086
I see that Massdrop has the Dekoni Audio Premium Earpadz for Fostex drop going again
Thank you for the news
It's absurd dekoni charges $20 for two cheap plastic rings
1 pair of pads+rings from massdrop gives me 8$ shipping to Australia which seams reasonable

Question - is fenestrated shipskin 'cooler' than shipskin?
My ear sweats a bit in stock pads and if fenestrated are cooler I'll buy both

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #10,990 of 12,086
I don't really see the X00 as bass heavy headphones. They don't nearly have as much midbass compared to other headphones/iem like my es3x, hd25 or even se215. My apple earbuds have a similar thump impact.
By midbass, I mean that thump that you get from hip-hop/electronic music and not the rumble associated with sub bass. The truth is midbass frequency makes up the majority of current pop songs. No doubt the sub-bass rumble is undeniably impressive on the x00 and beats all the headphones I've listed but this is a narrow range and it just isn't very common plus the X00 needs to be turned up pretty loud to actually feel it. So I guess for a better word, the x00 doesn't exhibit any mid-bass hump which is a good or bad thing. I find that most full-size headphones lack midbass compared to the majority of IEM and the x00 is no different.

Nov 27, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #10,991 of 12,086
I see that Massdrop has the Dekoni Audio Premium Earpadz for Fostex drop going again. I keep looking at the hybrid ones. But spending $55 on my $225 purpleheart just seems like a lot. Granted, I lucked into a crazy half price deal on the headphones themselves but sheesh, these are just earpads. It offends my ultra stingy, parsimonious upbringing.

Can anyone who's gotten these or the plain velour or the fenistrated sheepskin give impressions? I searched on hybrid in this thread and didn't find anything really.

I have the Dekoni sheepskin, hybrid and velour pads. The sheepskin and hybrids IMO do not alter the original sound signature. The velours do, the sound becomes a bit thinner, probably because there is more leakage through the velour. The hybrids do not leak in my opinion, due to the leather pad walls. They are my favorite over the sheepskins, because the comfort is even better than the sheepskin pads.

I do not use the attenuation rings. They make the bass more bloated on a headphone that already has a slightly bloomy bass.

Nov 27, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #10,992 of 12,086
The X00 shines in sub bass and detailed treble.

Nov 27, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #10,993 of 12,086
I don't really see the X00 as bass heavy headphones. They don't nearly have as much midbass compared to other headphones/iem like my es3x, hd25 or even se215. My apple earbuds have a similar thump impact.
By midbass, I mean that thump that you get from hip-hop/electronic music and not the rumble associated with sub bass. The truth is midbass frequency makes up the majority of current pop songs. No doubt the sub-bass rumble is undeniably impressive on the x00 and beats all the headphones I've listed but this is a narrow range and it just isn't very common plus the X00 needs to be turned up pretty loud to actually feel it. So I guess for a better word, the x00 doesn't exhibit any mid-bass hump which is a good or bad thing. I find that most full-size headphones lack midbass compared to the majority of IEM and the x00 is no different.

If you’re looking for mid bass try out the Atticus. You’ll feel kick drum in your chest. The other alternative is MrSpeakers AFO. Doesn’t slam as hard as the Atticus but gets damn near close.

The Fosties are a great compliment to either of those headphones.

Nov 27, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #10,994 of 12,086
Thanks for the recommendation but I've already got too many pairs of heavy mid bass headphones. I did tried mr speakers aeon closed but thought they were very flat sounding with almost no mid bass or any bass emphasizes for that matter.

Nov 27, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #10,995 of 12,086
Thanks for the recommendation but I've already got too many pairs of heavy mid bass headphones. I did tried mr speakers aeon closed but thought they were very flat sounding with almost no mid bass or any bass emphasizes for that matter.
Keep in mind planars need ALOT of power (typically more than 1W) to give them the headroom they need to shine, especially the bass. That said, Mr Speakers cans are not really known for their bass quantity.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back