Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Nov 13, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #10,922 of 12,086
Haven't tried those, but I can tell you the Alpha pads extend the bass to a new level of awesome - tighter and with a bigger soundstage - and even tame the highs down to the point where "harsh" or "piercing" is a thing of the past. That said, sources play a big part here too - I drive mine with an ifi iDSD Micro and a Matrix HPA-3B balanced amp, both of which are slightly warm of neutral. A bright amp like the Jot might not be your best bet for these headphones if you're not a treble fan.

Before I picked up the Lyr2, I was running with the Jot and they sounded incredible. Still do but I prefer to run with a smoother warmer tube in the L2.
If I didn’t pick up the L2, I’d be happy as you can get with the modded PH and Jot.
There was no sibilance at all with the Jot unless the track was mixed that way. That’s the beauty with the Ori pads with driver dampening.

Nov 13, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #10,924 of 12,086
Has anyone applied the Lawton Tune-up or Lawton Angle Pads to their TH-X00? I'd be really interested to hear others' impressions on the changes in sound signature.

I recently applied the Lawton Tune-Up (minus the cup disk) and Lawton Angle Pads to my TH-X00 PH and the difference is staggering. The sound really opens up with increased clarity, soundstage and airiness. It's not nearly as in-your-face as stock and significantly less V-shaped sound signature to my ears. However the bass is decreased some and the visceral impact that stock provides is also decreased. It's still strong bass though and very accurate with much improved imaging (although that might also simply be due to the increased soundstage). Comfort is way better for me as well.

Beware that just adding the Lawton pads without the tune-up/Foam in the cups makes these headphones nearly unlistenable, as the treble is absolutely piercing. Overall I'm very happy with the changes and it has really turned these into different headphones with the advantage of easily being able to go back to nearly stock (although I probably won't remove driver tune-up pieces).

If you look back the last few pages there is discussion on the Tune-up kit. As for Lawton Angle pads versus other this is my experience/view on them:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00-review.788776/page-691#post-13594539

Nov 16, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #10,930 of 12,086
Oh no, another Earthside. Listen to the bass around the .55 second mark. Deep, hits hard, snappy, kinda shows what this HP can do especially modded.

Nov 16, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #10,933 of 12,086
Percussion, Electronia, and Strings

For me, the following:
1. Most anything from the O-Zone percussion group "la bamba" album, a very well mastered acoustic album that really shows the TH-X00 PH strengths, especially when modded:

Example track, "A Time for Jazz"

2. One of my favorite type of music is Vocaloid, which covers EVERY genre of music. AdyS is one of my favorite Vocaloid producers right now, love his style and the detail he puts into his music, really like the sound through my modded PHs.

Example tracks

"So What"
http://store.vocallective.net/track/so-what

"Desire"... mainly for dat nice beat
http://store.vocallective.net/track/desire

3. For Lawton modded PH, check out the track "Challenger" from Xenon-P 'REBIRTH -Return of Phoenix- album, speed drums that don't sound as good with a stock TH-X00 PH...(Youtube doesn't sound as good as the actual album...)

4. 'Dracula's Jam' from the YZYX album, 'TimeLapse E.P.' just plain fun romp with full range experience and dem high hats:

5. Oh, and for a modded TH-X00, definitely this:

6. And this is just a good metal/Japanese blend:

And

7. And I like Taylor Davis on the PH. Violin, chello, guitar, and piano all sound really great on the PH, especially with the Gustard X20 /H10 combo. I'd say the piano and bass guitar are the strongest match for the PH, but higher tuned string instruments still sound great.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #10,934 of 12,086
Good sub bass test tracks. Google these or just search YouTube to find them.

"The Way You Move" by Outkast. The first 808 boom is heard on any system outside of tiny speakers on older laptops. The second on any hi-fi system, or headphones, quieter if bass light. The third is very quiet on bass light cans and small bookshelf speakers. All three are equally audible on an ideal system.

"State Of Mind" by Goldie. This is a great, pioneering Drum N Bass album. About 40 seconds in the booms start. Three high booms you can hear on most smaller systems or bass light headphones. Then a lower boom that small speakers and bass light cans will miss. Again, equally audible on good systems.

"Weekend" by Kelis. About a minute in (and twice more later on) it goes into a bridge starting with "Here come the beats..." A series of higher sub booms I can hear on most playback systems, less if bass light. Then it goes to a 17 hz sub bass 808. It has very few overtones above it so you won't hear that one playing it on small speakers or bass light headphones at all. It will be barely audible on Sennheiser HD650. Even small subwoofers won't play much of it, I might hear the starting attack but no boom follows it. They say you can't hear below 20 hz. I can down into single digits, this is quite audible and it's clearly tonal, not just something you "feel". If a headphone plays this as loud as the first boom, you've got a winner, in the bass department. It is my # 1 test song.

Nov 17, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #10,935 of 12,086
Good sub bass test tracks. Google these or just search YouTube to find them.

"The Way You Move" by Outkast. The first 808 boom is heard on any system outside of tiny speakers on older laptops. The second on any hi-fi system, or headphones, quieter if bass light. The third is very quiet on bass light cans and small bookshelf speakers. All three are equally audible on an ideal system.

"State Of Mind" by Goldie. This is a great, pioneering Drum N Bass album. About 40 seconds in the booms start. Three high booms you can hear on most smaller systems or bass light headphones. Then a lower boom that small speakers and bass light cans will miss. Again, equally audible on good systems.

"Weekend" by Kelis. About a minute in (and twice more later on) it goes into a bridge starting with "Here come the beats..." A series of higher sub booms I can hear on most playback systems, less if bass light. Then it goes to a 17 hz sub bass 808. It has very few overtones above it so you won't hear that one playing it on small speakers or bass light headphones at all. It will be barely audible on Sennheiser HD650. Even small subwoofers won't play much of it, I might hear the starting attack but no boom follows it. They say you can't hear below 20 hz. I can down into single digits, this is quite audible and it's clearly tonal, not just something you "feel". If a headphone plays this as loud as the first boom, you've got a winner, in the bass department. It is my # 1 test song.

To add to these..

Objekt - Tinderbox
Great Dane - DVN3
Kryptic Minds - Badman VIP

Check them out on spotify/tidal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back