Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Oct 30, 2017 at 3:19 AM Post #10,846 of 12,086
The iDSD Micro BL is indeed intriguing.
I challenge anyone to compare the specs of the Micro iDSD (original or BL) against something like the Schitt stack (even uber), heck even a multibit, in terms of power, noise, format support etc. To my ears it goes toe to toe with the Chord Mojo, and is more versatile than either of the Schiit or Chord products. But specs aside, I let my ears do the listening, and the pure synergy of the ifi with the TH-X00 is what really makes it sing.

Oct 30, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #10,847 of 12,086
Indeed, I'm not on a rush since I think the dzero2 will still work with it for the meantime. I just wanted to know some decent dac/amp that can make the TH-X00 sing. If around 500-600usd, what can make this sing. Damn. I'll just try all decent suggestion rather than have no direction. The iDSD Micro BL is indeed intriguing.
Some of the amps in your price range that seem to pair well with the TH-X00, TH-900 (Lawton driver damping) & TH-600 (which I still have) were the Teac HA-501, Liquid Carbon, Polaris, G-109, and the headphone outputs of my Teac UD-301 DAC. The Magni3 is quite impressive for the $99 but it does have its limitations. I'm still waiting for a friend who ordered the CTH and LCX from MassDrop to get both in so we can do some comparisons and he is the owner of the TH900 with the Lawton mod.

Oct 30, 2017 at 3:39 AM Post #10,848 of 12,086
I challenge anyone to compare the specs of the Micro iDSD (original or BL) against something like the Schitt stack (even uber), heck even a multibit, in terms of power, noise, format support etc. To my ears it goes toe to toe with the Chord Mojo, and is more versatile than either of the Schiit or Chord products. But specs aside, I let my ears do the listening, and the pure synergy of the ifi with the TH-X00 is what really makes it sing.
While I've yet to use a Micro iDSD but I've used the Mojo a few times and didn't care for it with my TH-600 or my friends TH-900, it just sounded a bit "off" in the mids, what little was there. The Hugo while having the same specs as the Mojo just seems to have better synergy with the headphones I've tried it with and to me is a pretty good deal since its one of the few "portable" DAC/amps that to me will pair with a HD800 and HE560 and make both sound pretty good.
You have the right idea to "let your ears do the listening" but those are your ears and everyone else has their own ears.

Oct 30, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #10,849 of 12,086
As good as the hugo.

Oct 30, 2017 at 6:49 AM Post #10,850 of 12,086
Indeed, I'm not on a rush since I think the dzero2 will still work with it for the meantime. I just wanted to know some decent dac/amp that can make the TH-X00 sing. If around 500-600usd, what can make this sing. Damn. I'll just try all decent suggestion rather than have no direction. The iDSD Micro BL is indeed intriguing.

Why not try the Schiit stack first and see where you’d like go from there? The Magni 3 is an amazing value for an amp at $99. Find a used Modi Multibit DAC here for around $200-225 and then purchase the Lawton 1 Tune-Up kit for $45. You’ll still have wiggle room to buy pads since the originals are where most of the complaints come from. You’ll be at the $400 mark with a combo that can power almost all headphones except a few high end cans.

Personally they sounded amazingly smooth out of a Jotunheim+Mimby+Eitr, is fast, and has great slam. The Magni 3 is considered the Jots’ little brother.

Oct 30, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #10,851 of 12,086
Not my experience at all with the mahogany. Vocals are clear and smooth and the bass never encroaches on the mids - ever. Then again mine has alpha pads and the cable is balanced (although I mostly listen SE). Source is important - I find the ifi Micro iDSD has great synergy, and even better when combined with the Matrix HPA-3B amp. As always, YMMV.

Get the Lawton dampening installed (with better pads and custom attenuators) and you will realize how veiled/less detailed a stock one is in comparison. I'm not saying stock is really bad, but that a stock unit compared to dampened one with pads and custom attenuators is a VERY noticeable difference in sound quality. Once you hear the difference you won't want to go back to a stock one. I now have 2 TH-X00PHs; a used one I just got in this weekend which is 100% stock and my beloved modded one. Listening back to back, the stock one sounds like a blanket is placed over the drivers in comparison - bass is sloppier, with less extension, and bloomy sounding while the mids are more recessed and vocals MUCH more unintelligible and highs just not as energized, smooth, or clear. Overall sound of stock is also much more conjested and muffled sounding with less detail - with the driver housings dampened the headphone really opens up the sound, becoming more dynamic and REALLY noticeably improves detail and instrument separation.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #10,852 of 12,086
Woah! Recessed, muddy, harsh. I'm currently using a 7th gen i5 notebook as source and Ibasso dzero mk2 now. Been looking at the schiits. Have u tried those??
Get the Lawton dampening installed (with better pads and custom attenuators) and you will realize how veiled/less detailed a stock one is in comparison. I'm not saying stock is really bad, but that a stock unit compared to dampened one with pads and custom attenuators is a VERY noticeable difference in sound quality. Once you hear the difference you won't want to go back to a stock one. I now have 2 TH-X00PHs; a used one I just got in this weekend which is 100% stock and my beloved modded one. Listening back to back, the stock one sounds like a blanket is placed over the drivers in comparison - bass is sloppier, with less extension, and bloomy sounding while the mids are more recessed and vocals MUCH more unintelligible and highs just not as energized, smooth, or clear. Overall sound of stock is also much more conjested and muffled sounding with less detail - with the driver housings dampened the headphone really opens up the sound, becoming more dynamic and REALLY noticeably improves detail and instrument separation.

I couldn’t have said it better as I agree with every word.
When I first got the PH’s, they were solid and sounded really good. I didn’t know any better. But if you decided to do 1 mod and one mod only, do the driver dampening.
It’s on the cheap too as it’s $14 DIY.
I never thought they sounded poor but when I did the dampening and pad swap (that was $55) the HP went from really good to near great.
I believe the driver dampening on most bass heavy HP’s is going to improve’the overall speed and tightness. There so many dampening mods for every HP out there it’s enough to get your head spinning. My Sony MDR Z7 and AT 1000 woodies both have driver dampening on them and each improved exponentially.

For the PH’s, spend about $75 total on pads and DD and you’ll have a close to TOTL set of HP’s IMHO.

Oct 30, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #10,853 of 12,086
You'll struggle to better the ifi Micro iDSD for that budget. Heck you might even find the Black Label version on special for around 400, definitely used in mint condition. Pairs beautifully with my mahogany. And don't be fooled by the "portable" tag - just because you can use it with the built-in battery and it's relatively portable, this is definitely a desktop-grade amp and a top-tier dac with more power, features and quality than much bigger, less portable and more expensive solutions.

@Johnny Mac the Black Labels go on sale at Adorama for $380 regularly, check slickdeals, just FYI

Oct 30, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #10,854 of 12,086
I couldn’t have said it better as I agree with every word.
When I first got the PH’s, they were solid and sounded really good. I didn’t know any better. But if you decided to do 1 mod and one mod only, do the driver dampening.
It’s on the cheap too as it’s $14 DIY.
I never thought they sounded poor but when I did the dampening and pad swap (that was $55) the HP went from really good to near great.
I believe the driver dampening on most bass heavy HP’s is going to improve’the overall speed and tightness. There so many dampening mods for every HP out there it’s enough to get your head spinning. My Sony MDR Z7 and AT 1000 woodies both have driver dampening on them and each improved exponentially.

For the PH’s, spend about $75 total on pads and DD and you’ll have a close to TOTL set of HP’s IMHO.
+1 on the driver damping
even with my Lawton copy-cat dynamat attempt, the result is noticeable to my untrained ears

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #10,855 of 12,086
Just out of interest, is the Lawton DIY mod reversible? In other words, if I do it, but don't like the sound, can I undo it?

Oct 30, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #10,856 of 12,086
Just out of interest, is the Lawton DIY mod reversible? In other words, if I do it, but don't like the sound, can I undo it?

It's adhesive backed dampening material - with a little effort it should be removable from the driver frame surfaces without any damage to the headphone, but the dampening material would not really be reusable. Though honestly, it's hard to imagine anyone not liking a noticeable improvement in overall detail, clarity, and bass quality of their headphone.

Oct 30, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #10,857 of 12,086
It's adhesive backed dampening material - with a little effort it should be removable from the driver frame surfaces without any damage to the headphone, but the dampening material would not really be reusable. Though honestly, it's hard to imagine anyone not liking a noticeable improvement in overall detail, clarity, and bass quality of their headphone.
Thanks. Is it easy enough to order from outside the US (and how much is it for the damping mod only)? Do you have a direct contact at Lawton? Feel free to PM me this info if it's off topic. Thx.

Oct 30, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #10,858 of 12,086
Thanks. Is it easy enough to order from outside the US (and how much is it for the damping mod only)? Do you have a direct contact at Lawton? Feel free to PM me this info if it's off topic. Thx.

I have no direct contact information at Lawton, just send them the e-mail request and they will work with you from there. They should be able to give you worldwide shipping costs. Just make sure to tell them you have a TH-X00 and want the Tune-up Kit driver dampening pieces only; not the cup dampening pieces, and definitely NOT the Angle Pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back