Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Oct 31, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #10,861 of 12,086
TH-X00 is such a great pair of headphones. I still give the X00 40% of my listening time while having the HE-1000 take 60%. Superb dynamic driver bass that provides a different signature to Totl plannar magnetic.

Oct 31, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #10,863 of 12,086
If you get the driver dampening pieces only (as recommended by many here) I only got quoted for $19 + S/H for DIY (which was super easy)
Just wondering, what do you gain/lose with the cup foam pieces that everyone seems to be leaving out now?

Oct 31, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #10,867 of 12,086
It not only reduces the perceived bass level and impact, but it also sounds like it shoves the bass further away from you in the mix, more into the background... it basically steps overboard in messing with the sound signature of the TH-X00, crossing over a line of acceptance so to say. The Lawton Angle pads do the same thing, make the TH-X00 something really different. If you basically like the bass level and sound signature of a stock TH-X00, the cup dampening will most likely be a big dissapointment.

The whole point of the TH-X00 is that beautiful Biodyna driver bass that is detailed, precise, and has huge extension, yet also is simultaneously incredibly heavy hitting/impactful and fairly upfront while absolutely working seamlessly with the mids and highs (which are beautiful and lovely as well). I was on the fence about applying the cup dampening until I heard Phantaminum's MH with the cup dampening applied... very weird and off sounding and just lacking the musical feel of even a stock bloomy unit with no dampening whatsoever applied. And once Phantaminum heard my PH with driver only dampening he was absolutely set to remove the cup dampening from his MH right then and there at the headphone meet... LOL

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #10,868 of 12,086
It not only reduces the perceived bass level and impact, but it also sounds like it shoves the bass further away from you in the mix, more into the background... it basically steps overboard in messing with the sound signature of the TH-X00, crossing over a line of acceptance so to say. The Lawton Angle pads do the same thing, make the TH-X00 something really different. If you basically like the bass level and sound signature of a stock TH-X00, the cup dampening will most likely be a big dissapointment.

The whole point of the TH-X00 is that beautiful Biodyna driver bass that is detailed, precise, and has huge extension, yet also is simultaneously incredibly heavy hitting/impactful and fairly upfront while absolutely working seamlessly with the mids and highs (which are beautiful and lovely as well). I was on the fence about applying the cup dampening until I heard Phantaminum's MH with the cup dampening applied... very weird and off sounding and just lacking the musical feel of even a stock bloomy unit with no dampening whatsoever applied. And once Phantaminum heard my PH with driver only dampening he was absolutely set to remove the cup dampening from his MH right then and there at the headphone meet... LOL
Very well described. Nothing and no-one must touch the quantity and quality of my Fostex bass! So what exactly does the driver dampening bring to the mix in that case? By the way, Mark quoted me $29 for the driver dampening only - seems a bit high?

Oct 31, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #10,869 of 12,086
Very well described. Nothing and no-one must touch the quantity and quality of my Fostex bass! So what exactly does the driver dampening bring to the mix in that case? By the way, Mark quoted me $29 for the driver dampening only - seems a bit high?

Full Tune-up kit is $45+ shipping, $29 seems reasonable for everything but the 4 cup dampening pieces.

Have previously described it thoughout this thread, but basically the driver dampening gives a noticeable improvement in detail, clarity, extension, and instrument separation. Lyric that were hard to understand will be much clearer and more upfront along with little drtails that weren't prominent before.

The earpads and custom attenuator are what determines impact and extension, and also provide a little improvement to detail and clarity.

With both dampening and pad mods the TH-X00 can go from a great mid-fi can to nearly Top-fi can level.

Actually listening closely right now between my modded PH and the stock PH I recently got in, there actually is a reduction in perceived impact with my modded PH due to pad differences, but the stock PH impact is like a wider swath of bloom versus the more focused and tighter punch of the modded PH. It is absolutely nothing like what the cup dampening does though. Putting stock pads onto my modded PH, and that stock boosted/bloomy sound is back along with more compressed/conjested feel to the sound... but detail, clarity, and instrument separation is better than 100% stock PH. Quality of the bass is MUCH better with the Jmoney V3 pads and custom attenuator, and the small reduction in perceived impact is more than acceptable - bass is still whompingly MASSIVE yet much better controlled and detailed than stock ever was.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #10,870 of 12,086
Full Tune-up kit is $45+ shipping, $29 seems reasonable for everything but the 4 cup dampening pieces.

Have previously described it thoughout this thread, but basically the driver dampening gives a noticeable improvement in detail, clarity, extension, and instrument separation. Lyric that were hard to understand will be much clearer and more upfront along with little drtails that weren't prominent before.

The earpads and custom attenuator are what determines impact and extension, and also provide a little improvement to detail and clarity.

With both dampening and pad mods the TH-X00 can go from a great mid-fi can to nearly Top-fi can level.

Actually listening closely right now between my modded PH and the stock PH I recently got in, there actually is a reduction in perceived impact with my modded PH due to pad differences, but the stock PH impact is like a wider swath of bloom versus the more focused and tighter punch of the modded PH. It is absolutely nothing like what the cup dampening does though. Putting stock pads onto my modded PH, and that stock boosted/bloomy sound is back along with more compressed/conjested feel to the sound... but detail, clarity, and instrument separation is better than 100% stock PH. Quality of the bass is MUCH better with the Jmoney V3 pads and custom attenuator, and the small reduction in perceived impact is more than acceptable - bass is still whompingly MASSIVE yet much better controlled and detailed than stock ever was.
Dude, these past 2 posts were like Poetry:)

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #10,871 of 12,086
I put fenestrated pads and tuning rings on my ebony TH-X00, replacing the elite sheepskin. It made the headphones sound thinner and quite harsh. Maybe the bass is more linear, but the hardness in the treble was palpable. Has anybody else experienced this? What a poor investment on my end....

Nov 3, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #10,872 of 12,086
The Dekoni fenestrated pads aren't good with any headphone I've tried as they reduce the bass too much because they leak too much air.

9935321_l.png

Nov 8, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #10,873 of 12,086
Has anyone compared Purpleheart to Meze 99 Classics. Is it going to be noticeable upgrade to it? I have been using Meze for last 6 months and I'm quiet happy with it. Wanted to see if it's worth upgrading to Fostex.

Nov 8, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #10,874 of 12,086
Has anyone compared Purpleheart to Meze 99 Classics. Is it going to be noticeable upgrade to it? I have been using Meze for last 6 months and I'm quiet happy with it. Wanted to see if it's worth upgrading to Fostex.

Quick answer cause I’m at work.
I own both. Different between the 2 in many ways. Meze is more balanced with excellent fast/tight/deep bass that’s excellent. Doesn’t bleed into mids or treble.
PH bass even better when modded. Meze faster then the Purplehearts unmodded. Meze is a much warmer sounding and less fatiguing SS as the treble is not as extended at the PH.
Ph very V shaped with extended treble and bass. But again, with driver dampening mod only, Purplehearts are an incredible HP.
The Meze have enough sparkle up top to still be detailed, just not quite like the PH. They are compatible to own both.
Personally, I’d NEVER get rid of either for any reason even even if I had to live out of a shopping cart. Little overboard I know but you catch my drift. :wink:

I could write paragraphs on both but back to work.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #10,875 of 12,086
Quick answer cause I’m at work.
I own both. Different between the 2 in many ways. Meze is more balanced with excellent fast/tight/deep bass that’s excellent. Doesn’t bleed into mids or treble.
PH bass even better when modded. Meze faster then the Purplehearts unmodded. Meze is a much warmer sounding and less fatiguing SS as the treble is not as extended at the PH.
Ph very V shaped with extended treble and bass. But again, with driver dampening mod only, Purplehearts are an incredible HP.
The Meze have enough sparkle up top to still be detailed, just not quite like the PH. They are compatible to own both.
Personally, I’d NEVER get rid of either for any reason even even if I had to live out of a shopping cart. Little overboard I know but you catch my drift. :wink:

I could write paragraphs on both but back to work.

Thanks for your response. So sounds like it would be upgrade at least in bass and treble area. Would love to hear more about difference between these two. I'm interested in finding more about modded Purplehearts too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back