Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Oct 25, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #10,816 of 12,086
I’m Just curious....does anyone read anymore?
Same questions over and over again with post upon post with answers. Lol
As @Phantaminum noted the same questions keep coming up on all threads, such as "what is the best amp for _______" "what is the best upgrade cable", or "how to get the most out of __________ headphone". All these repeat questions might be avoided if the search function were easier to use but then again it doesn't seem to work on my system.

@chimney189 , the TH-X00 can be sibilant/harsh for some and it will also depend on your current gear (DAC/amp), genre of choice, source files, how loud you listen, etc. If the LCD-2.2 has as much treble as you can handle then I wouldn't suggest any TH-X00 models but it you sometimes wish for a bit more sparkle in the highs then I'd say give the TH-X00 a consideration, note that some like me find the stock ear pads very uncomfortable and many of the suggested pads are $50 to $80 and they will affect the sound signature, as to if the effect is good or bad depends on the individual. I don't have much experience with the Lawton mods that many talk about but on a friend's TH-900 with driver damping mod only it a really nice overall sound but even then its not something I can use every day, just too much bass for some genres of music IMO. I do have a TH-600 and LCD-2f, have heard the LCD-2.2, LCD-3f and a few others, I've sold the TH-X00 mahogany, just to give you an idea of what I've heard.

Oct 26, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #10,818 of 12,086
Just putting this out there if anyone is thinking of getting some cups for their TH-X00:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/emu-paula-santo-artisan-woodcups

I have a second TH-X00 PH coming in (lightly used for about 1/2 price) and am in for a set of the raw ones to swap later after I've compared the modded to stock.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #10,819 of 12,086
Oct 26, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #10,820 of 12,086
Don't do it! Get this instead...:ksc75smile:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0T425L/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If I ever get my TH-X00 back I have these and they are supposed to be a drop fit substitute to make an open back TH-X00!

I have a 3D printer... can make my own custom open grilles if I want...

May experiment with that on the second TH-X00... still have a hard time believing it sounds good open... the Denon AH-D2000 did not sound as good opened.

Oct 26, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #10,821 of 12,086
Don't do it! Get this instead...:ksc75smile:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0T425L/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If I ever get my TH-X00 back I have these and they are supposed to be a drop fit substitute to make an open back TH-X00!

LOL. That sounds so damn interesting though. I can't even imagine what my TX-X00 Purpleheart would sound like if it were open back. It would think it would lose it's bass slam while changing the entire SS.

Wouldn't that make it pretty difficult to do? If it's pretty easy to do and can make these interchangeable with no sweat, why not? If that is the case, this seems like a pretty viable option. Two HP's for the price of one (well +$9) with completely different characteristics.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #10,822 of 12,086
Well there's a reason I put a smiley afterwards. I haven't had a chance to hear it as I just measured one side but the measurements look promising.

9935761_l.png

This is with stock pads, I think the Dekoni TH-X00 series sheepskin pads and some minimal back damping will make this an interesting option. I'll keep ya'll updated.

Oct 26, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #10,823 of 12,086
Wouldn't that make it pretty difficult to do? If it's pretty easy to do and can make these interchangeable with no sweat, why not? If that is the case, this seems like a pretty viable option. Two HP's for the price of one (well +$9) with completely different characteristics.
I know I saw somewhere, I thought this thread, somebody was showing changing cups and how they just left them off to make an open back version. Its quite simple to remove the cups. Tiny Phillips head screwdriver to remove the 4 screws inside the slots and the cups are off. No fuss no muss

Oct 27, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #10,825 of 12,086
This is true. The reason I got the speaker grills is to add some level of protection for the driver and also allow some back damping.
That's a great idea. Once upon a time I thought about getting a TH500RP and swapping cups with a TH-X00 but I never did it.
81qtMBEbkwL._SX522_.jpg

Oct 27, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #10,826 of 12,086
That's a great idea. Once upon a time I thought about getting a TH500RP and swapping cups with a TH-X00 but I never did it.
I had the exact same thought but ~$9 is cheaper than $500! I do believe someone did do this and that adding the cups to the TH500RP improved their bass as they are bass light.

Oct 27, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #10,827 of 12,086
I tell you what, I just got in a used Gustard X20U amp, and boy does it work well with the Gustard H10 and modded TH-X00 PH... really digging it! Much smoother sounding than DFR but with more impact and more detail and dynamics than the Schiit Bifrost... definitely what I was looking for! I think eventually I'll get the U12 and get more into the higher quality sound later, but for now straight from the USB to the DAC is really nice and a little more natural/analog sounding.

i-W8GWkgT.jpg

Oct 28, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #10,830 of 12,086

Users who are viewing this thread

Back