Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Oct 23, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #10,786 of 12,086
@gadu , if you want the controls for your phone the easiest way is to mod your TH-X00 with MMCX jacks so you can get Shure replacement cables for IEMs which have the controls you are looking for. I did this mod for a friend but it was on a MDR-7506 and it works great. With the TH-X00/600/900 I've only used SMC jacks since its a better connector IMO than the MMCX jacks.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #10,787 of 12,086
@gadu , if you want the controls for your phone the easiest way is to mod your TH-X00 with MMCX jacks so you can get Shure replacement cables for IEMs which have the controls you are looking for. I did this mod for a friend but it was on a MDR-7507 and it works great. With the TH-X00/600/900 I've only used SMC jacks since its a better connector IMO than the MMCX jacks.

Interesting.

Also just curious, why do you say the SMC jacks are better?

Oct 23, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #10,788 of 12,086
Interesting.

Also just curious, why do you say the SMC jacks are better?
SMC jacks are screwed on while MMCX jacks are pushed on and do get loose over time. I also don't like the 2.5mm TRS jacks that many install on their TH-X00 since it requires some cuts to the baffle, frame and cups while the SMC or MMCX will fit without any mods to the baffle, frame or cups.

Oct 23, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #10,789 of 12,086
I'm in the minority, but I like the fact the cable is 'permanently' fixed on the TH-X00...it's a good quality cable with 1/4" connector, of just about perfect length that will last decades - the headphone chassis will break before the cable. I've lived with the AH-D200 with nearly a decade and the only cable issue I've had with them is the 1/8" connector being bent from use over the year... will definitely replace it with a 1/4" connector whenever I transfer the Fostex drivers over to a custom build I plan on doing with a different chassis.

Removeable cables come with issues of their own... like limited life span for the amount of times you can disconnect/reconnect before the connectors will need to be replaced (both cup and cable sides) - you can't just connect/disconnect every use and expect it to last more than a few years with something like a 500 connection cycle rating. You are also making a solid, non-bendable connection stick out further from the very bottom of the cups towards your shoulders, depending on the connection used that could be a very significant distance - they aren't like a Sennheiser HD700 where the connector is towards the middle of the cup/frame structure and can be left connected all the time when putting in a fitted case. You would have to disconnect a TH-X00 when putting it in a fitted case. For me that would be a minimum of twice daily (to/from work). There can also be more stress put on the chassis/cups with a tug force at an angle due to the acting lever arm from the connector which can also bend/break the male connection piece if done hard and often enough.

For my Fostex I am sticking with the stock cable - I have about a decade of experince with the design and it has proven to be robust and well implemented one.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #10,790 of 12,086
Ok well I got my pair a few days ago (fresh from Massdrop after my zip tie fiasco with BLINQ).
I've been doing a lot of listening with the Ori pads, have the Lawton DYI kit for driver dampening but wanted to do some listening before modding. I'll refrain from saying too much about sound until I've had an opportunity to do more listening.

First impressions:
Note: my source is my MB Pro, no amp. From Spotify with higher quality audio option toggled

Not going to lie I was SLIGHTLY disappointed on first listen. Probably because they've been so hyped up in my mind though. I've read that burn in isn't actually real but after listening for hours and hours... well I appreciate them so much more now (the logical explanation here, and im quoting koover, is my brain has gotten used to the SS). I listen to music while I work, so several hours a day, but with these headphones I found myself listening to music until like 2-3am after getting home (I'm sure part of it was excitement over a new toy, but still). When i find myself digging through old songs just to see how they'd sound at 2 am in the morning.. I'd say its a good thing.

When I compared them to other over ear headphones I had around (Bose QC25, Munitio Pro40, Beats Solo- on ear but whatever) it was a no contest also (as expected). The PH blew them out of the water.

There's even some songs I've saved to my library exclusively because they sound amazing on these headphones.

The Ori pads are certainly more comfortable than the stock pads. I have yet to cut out an attenuation ring like suggested in this thread which I heard improves bass. It does change the sound from the stock (bass, which is pretty THICC with stock pads, seems to have taken a slight hit in its raw power for example, but its more articulated/clean now for sure) and I haven't decided whether I like it more yet (have done most listening on Ori, gonna switch back to stock soon to recompare). I originally thought the Ori pads were just too deep so the sound seems to be coming from a bit further, which is slightly less preferable if you're listening in a non quiet environment as the stock pads have a more in your head sound. I can see that being a bit fatiguing for long listening sessions though.

I've definitely found them to be V-shaped, so the mids are bit recessed (I knew that going in and am totally okay with that). Great details, not a super wide soundstage but it contributes to the allure (sound feels like its just coming from your head in a good way).

A few more initial observations:

These are not very isolating. I have an AC running in my room that makes noise and putting these on barely, if at all, reduces the noise. You can hear whats going on around you if no music is playing and even slightly when music is playing. They obviously leak some noise too, not sure how much. I'll be using them in the office so I'll ask coworkers if they hear it. Was expecting it to be a little more isolating given it appears closed, but was not quite the case.

Portability: I had read that this would prob not the best pair for commuting. I have a 5 minute walk to work every day so thought it would be no big deal and ignored that. Well, it's definitely manageable but jesus the 10 foot vacuum cord monstrosity they include really is a hassle. I braided it () which helps but its a beast either way. Should probably invest in a good pair of IEMs for that anyways though.

Comfort/ Stability: Improved with a pair of after market pads (which change the sound, but maybe for the better depending on your tastes). They don't clamp too hard, which is ok, but they do tend to slide a bit forward and back if I tilt my head. Not enough to fall out but they do move around a bit. Not an issue unless you're trying to listen to them horizontally lol, and even then all you really need to do is adjust. It does adjust pretty nicely though and isn't TOO heavy. The headband isn't that uncomfortable IMO but if you're sensitive to that you may want to purchase something like (http://www.zmfheadphones.com/pads-and-cables/pilot-pad) for example since it's not that padded and you can feel the frame under it. Not too big a deal for me personally.

Aesthetics: They're pretty hot. Not in an urban, contemporary way like the Beats for example (admit it, they do look real nice). Only including because I did have a bit of a moment when unwrapping all the packaging and finally seeing these and just being like wow. The purple heart is real nice, but looks best in the light as can be pretty dark otherwise. The Ori Pads do make them look a bit weird on since they're so damn deep (like easily 2-3x as thick as the wooden cups themselves).

And this is probably fairly standard but I did find the lack of a mic with the track skipping/pausing thing a slight decrement. I do use these headphones to take calls and such and you'll have to rely on the mic in your computer or phone. All the cables I've used in the past have had them and it was convenient to have, but not a deal breaker in the slightest.

Will sound beter with an amp.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #10,792 of 12,086
I'm not super familiar but I thought a sensitive headphone like the TH-X00s that can be driven very easily won't benefit that much from an amp?

Not sure if I should spend on one.. and if I did i have no clue which I should get.
You are unsure that is normal. Im sure.

Oct 23, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #10,793 of 12,086
I'm not super familiar but I thought a sensitive headphone like the TH-X00s that can be driven very easily won't benefit that much from an amp?

Not sure if I should spend on one.. and if I did i have no clue which I should get.
Yes they can be driven easily with any phone.
But you won't get that transparency and clarity when paired with nice amp.
I use Burson Conductor and its day and night compared to headphone out of my PC. And my headphone out is pretty decent - MSI x370 gaming pro carbon.
Compared to amps like Creative X7 - Burson wins easily, its so transparent.

Oct 23, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #10,794 of 12,086

A good DAC/amp will help no matter the headphone. Without a good DAC/amp the sound is very muddy, the bass low and flabby, and detail lost...

I was using my DFR / Gustard H10 and Burson V6 opamp combo at work today with my modded TH-X00 PHs...quality and impact of bass beyond anything you could ever get out of a computer/phone headphone out along with detail and clarity along the entire range that would elicit the feeling of hearing a live performance... the DAC/amp/headphone combo absolutely brings you right into the music.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #10,795 of 12,086

Not to be flip but even the $40 (Amazon Prime price) Topping NX1s which is just a tiny amp only makes an audible difference. There are quite a few $100 or under amp or DAC/amp combos you can get to see for yourself without spending a lot.

Oct 24, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #10,796 of 12,086

I do understand it's more money especially after just buying a new set of HP's, but man what a difference it would be.
For $200 +tax/shipping, you can get a Schiit Magni 3 (amp $99) and a Schiit Modi 2 (Dac $99) and have a really good sounding set-up on the cheap. Read up on both as you wouldn't be disappointed I believe. They also hold great resale value too if you didn't like it, but I believe you probably would.

Oct 24, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #10,797 of 12,086

Without question the best investment I ever made in sound quality and downright musical enjoyment - aside from my TH-X00 (mahogany) - is a good dac/amp, in my case an ifi Micro iDSD. You can’t even compare the power, clarity, separation and detail you get from a good source and amp to something like and iPhone or iMac (or Macbook or Mac mini for that matter). Heck there’s even a noticeable difference between the ifi and my Cayin N3 DAP, which although inexpensive is fairly powerful with a great dac. Do yourself a favor and pair your PH with a good dac/amp - or at the very least a good amp - and you won’t look back. Even a simple Fiio or AQ Dragonfly will markedly improve you SQ.

Oct 24, 2017 at 3:55 AM Post #10,799 of 12,086

While I agree with the others that an amp will make a difference its not going to be a "night and day" difference since you will only be amplifying the sound from your MacBook headphone output which from my memory was okay. As an example I always ask friends that are not "audiophiles" to see if they can hear differences and most can't hear the difference between amps unless its badly miss matched like a planar (HE400i) with a OTL (BH Crack) compared to Lyr2. I think @koover has a better suggestion of the Modi2 + Magni3. But before buying anything else I would suggest listening to your headphones for a little longer and see if you can listen to other headphones and also try your TH-X00 with different gear to give you a better idea of what's out there. You might find another headphone that suits you better but if you still find the TH-X00 is your preference then start looking for a DAC/amp to improve the sound and don't forget the various mods that can be done which I think might have more of an effect on the sound than a new DAC/amp.
FWIW I've sold my TH-X00 but I do have a TH-600, had a TH-900 from a friend for a few months, and listened to a second mahogany and one ebony, didn't care for any of the TH-X00 variants due to the ear pads. I may get another TH-X00 in the future but will need to find ear pads that are comfortable to me without messing up the sound (I already tried the ear pads from my TH-600, friends TH-900, alcantara pads from my SRH-1840, Hifiman Focus and Focus-A and Dekoni TH-900 sheep skin).

Oct 24, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #10,800 of 12,086
OK,

There seems to be enough strong opinions about the benefits of amping that I guess I'll look into it.

On a side note, @koover I know you're an advocate for the driver dampening Lawton mod, along with a few others here. I have the DYI and am planning on doing it sometime later this week after more listening, but just wanted to get some impressions on how I should expect the sound to change?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back