Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 7, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #1,756 of 12,086
Looking like a not so great start for these headphones. A few that received them early are already trying to sell them. I haven't seen any "user" review that mentioned they agree with the expert review pre-drop.

Glad I'm the only one that bought it, I was recommending these to my brother and friend, both decided to go for the pm3 instead.

PM-3 is an excellent headphone and is a direct competitor to TH-X00 due to the latter's small earpads, quite similar to PM-3's. My ears are small so I don't have a problem. Comparisons between those would be interesting.

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #1,757 of 12,086
Looking like a not so great start for these headphones. A few that received them early are already trying to sell them. I haven't seen any "user" review that mentioned they agree with the expert review pre-drop.

Glad I'm the only one that bought it, I was recommending these to my brother and friend, both decided to go for the pm3 instead.

eh, the same thing happened with the K7XX as far as people selling them.  People get caught up in FOMO and then realize later they couldn't actually afford to spend $400 on headphones during Christmas.  Also, none of the "user" reviews have had these for more than a day, and there's max 10 total out of 2000 that have had them for even a day.  Heck, I just got my shipping notice 5 minutes ago.  Most of the complaints on this thread have come from people who have never actually even heard them.  

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #1,758 of 12,086

I've only seen one actual massdrop purchaser that's actually received, listened, and is selling them so I think you're over reacting a little bit.  (user lovetroniq). Correct me if I'm wrong. One more selling before he receives them and selling new, but that doesn't count. That's not a real impression. 

The two recent "tour" reviews were both very good (users onefatsurfer & sounsdgoodtome).  The first gent used words like "denon bass" "they are phenomenal" "these headphones kick ass."  The second gent gave them a good review too and even took them to his seattle meet where they all liked them too.   Are you just going to ignore these guys?  

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #1,759 of 12,086
Not sure why you guys feel the need to bash @DecentLevi.  It's like he personally attacked you and kicked your dog.  Now, I will say that his review was a bit thin since it was a pre-production unit and he only listened to it for a couple minutes, but honestly, if I put a pair of headphones on and absolutely hated the sound, I wouldn't sit there listening to them for an hour.

It's refreshing to hear from someone that hasn't drank the Kool-aid, even if it's not a popular opinion.

I'll have mine on Thursday... or Friday... UPS can't seem to decide.  If they're wonderful, I'll be thrilled, because $400 is a lot of money to spend on something most of us have never heard before and can't return if we don't like it.  If you're curious, you can look at my profile to see what I'll be comparing the TH-X00 to and the DAC/amps I currently own.  Nothing fancy.  All I really want the X00 to do is fill a need for some fun, bassy headphones.  I'm not expecting anything in particular and I'm hopeful that Levi is wrong.  I'm also an old-school car audio guy that's not afraid to use EQ to get the sound I want out of a speaker system.  If I can EQ these to get the perfect sound, then that's exactly what I'll do.

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #1,760 of 12,086

I've only seen one actual massdrop purchaser that's actually received, listened, and is selling them so I think you're over reacting a little bit.  (user lovetroniq).  One more selling before he receives them and selling new, but that doesn't count. That's not a real impression. 

The two recent "tour" reviews were both very good (users onefatsurfer & sounsdgoodtome).  The first gent used words like "denon bass" "they are phenomenal" "these headphones kick ass."  The second gent gave them a good review too and even took them to his seattle meet where they all liked them too.   Are you just going to ignore these guys?  

Similar to the early reviews, people who receive them during the "tour" would be less inclined to say anything bad if they want to be on the future tour especially from the same company. Not saying this is happening, but there's definitely a potential for more bias and glowing reviews in those cases. That's why people prefer user reviews, so much so now that companies pay for fake user reviews on places like Yelp, Amazon, appstores, etc. Anyways we've been beating a dead horse on this point, and with close to 2000 units sold to people who actually paid, there's more than enough data points to paint a clear picture for these. I think even by the end of today that picture will be much clearer.

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #1,761 of 12,086
  Not sure why you guys feel the need to bash @DecentLevi.  It's like he personally attacked you and kicked your dog.  Now, I will say that his review was a bit thin since it was a pre-production unit and he only listened to it for a couple minutes, but honestly, if I put a pair of headphones on and absolutely hated the sound, I wouldn't sit there listening to them for an hour.

It's refreshing to hear from someone that hasn't drank the Kool-aid, even if it's not a popular opinion.

I'll have mine on Thursday... or Friday... UPS can't seem to decide.  If they're wonderful, I'll be thrilled, because $400 is a lot of money to spend on something most of us have never heard before and can't return if we don't like it.  If you're curious, you can look at my profile to see what I'll be comparing the TH-X00 to and the DAC/amps I currently own.  Nothing fancy.  All I really want the X00 to do is fill a need for some fun, bassy headphones.  I'm not expecting anything in particular and I'm hopeful that Levi is wrong.  I'm also an old-school car audio guy that's not afraid to use EQ to get the sound I want out of a speaker system.  If I can EQ these to get the perfect sound, then that's exactly what I'll do.

I agree. And again we all have different preferences and usually on first listen would be highly dependent on what we're used to. For example, I finally got to hear the NightHawk and to me it was a grainy, unrefined mess. But I am used to resolving treblier headphones like the HD800. And the guy that owned the TH900, he expected these to be better and is now selling it. He compared it to the company's flagship and was probably biased towards that V-shaped sound after getting used to it. I've read plenty of comments here or on massdrop that this has been someone's first expensive headphone purchase. I would imagine these to be mind-blowing for anyone coming from say ATH-M50 or headphones around that calibur. So for many of those just starting out on this audio journey, I'm sure they will not be disappointed.

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #1,762 of 12,086

Similar to the early reviews, people who receive them during the "tour" would be less inclined to say anything bad if they want to be on the future tour especially from the same company. Not saying this is happening, but there's definitely a potential for more bias and glowing reviews in those cases. That's why people prefer user reviews, so much so now that companies pay for fake user reviews on places like Yelp, Amazon, appstores, etc. Anyways we've been beating a dead horse on this point, and with close to 2000 units sold to people who actually paid, there's more than enough data points to paint a clear picture for these. I think even by the end of today that picture will be much clearer.

Ha...I prefer SOME user reviews.   I don't know if I will like the sound signature, but I am certain that if project86 and purrin said they liked the THX00, then there is a very good chance that this headphone is quite good.   You gotta learn who you can trust.

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #1,763 of 12,086

Ha...I prefer SOME user reviews.   I don't know if I will like the sound signature, but I am certain that if project86 and purrin said they liked the THX00, then there is a very good chance that this headphone is quite good.   You gotta learn who you can trust.

I prefer large data points
wink.gif

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #1,765 of 12,086
  I should have them around lunch and be able to post an early review tonight. 

Looking forward to it... don't hold back!

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #1,766 of 12,086

wink.gif

And I prefer the impressions of experienced members who actually had the item reviewed for an extended period of time.   I usually ignore the rants of inexperienced members who only had a quick listen before determining that a headphone sucks. 
cool.gif

Dec 7, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #1,767 of 12,086
And I prefer the impressions of experienced members who actually had the item reviewed for an extended period of time.   I usually ignore the rants of inexperienced members who only had a quick listen before determining that a headphone sucks.  :cool:  

+1 on that brotha!

Dec 7, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #1,768 of 12,086

wink.gif

From a data visualization perspective, it would be interesting to track the distribution of the x00's around the world and correlate user impressions (in some sort of standardized fashion). Granted, the results would be heavily skewed in the direction of the US due to distribution barriers, but I'd be interested to see the data nonetheless. Do Texans, on average, favor the sound of the x00's more or less than Oregonians? What are the other demographic factors attributable to the purchase and enjoyment (or lack there of)? Do Americans favor the Fostex house sound more than Japanese? Germans? On on and on... 

I'm inclined to think that the enjoyment of sound is, at least somewhat, a cultural byproduct. It would be interesting to formulate a hypothesis and work with someone like MD, Fostex, and the end users to really put to test how much culture (I would begin with locality (perhaps the most recent three localities and whether the user rents or owns), income, race, gender, sex, age, educational level, profession, number of headphones currently owned, experience in the hobby, etc. as beginning metrics) influences our individual experience of sound. One could also put to test whether the technicalities of a headphone (e.g. the x00 v 900 via a blind sample) make a damn bit of difference on average and how much is placebo. 

Anyhow, I digress...

Edit: One could then correlate the end user impressions with those of experienced or 'qualified' reviewers and figure out how on point those reviews actually are with how the general populace interprets the sound of a headphone... 

Dec 7, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #1,769 of 12,086

And I prefer the impressions of experienced members who actually had the item reviewed for an extended period of time.   I usually ignore the rants of inexperienced members who only had a quick listen before determining that a headphone sucks. 
cool.gif

True, but how many people that hate a headphone would bother to write a detailed review of it?  I know I wouldn't.

Dec 7, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #1,770 of 12,086

True, but how many people that hate a headphone would bother to write a detailed review of it?  I know I wouldn't.

yep, I once tried to write a review of a headphone I hated, and basically it was maybe a paragraph of sort of describing the frequency response and ending with "this thing sucks, and I'm sorry I am not going more into detail, but I don't want to continue wasting my life listening to it any longer for this review."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back