Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jul 7, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #16,936 of 18,776
well 1/5 the cost so .....
And way more comfortable , 5 yrs using mine outdoors on the go.
20200707_083333(0).jpg
20200707_083520.jpg

Jul 7, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #16,937 of 18,776
6 years for myself and 4 as la900

Jul 16, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #16,943 of 18,776
I have a listing
Sold my Ananda now I'm looking for these.. I either find a sale too late or they are way over priced. Let me know if anyone plans on listing theirs sometime soon :)

I have a listing PM me

Jul 29, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #16,945 of 18,776
Went ahead and ordered a unit from Amazon for approx 500 EURO. Probably getting scammed...

Forgot to update the thread regarding my experience:
The deal on amazon.de which pops up now and again, is probably a scam. I tried to buy the headphones. After the order was placed, the sum of money was reserved on my credit card. However the purchase never went through. My money was refunded. I did not get any explanation other than that they had problems charging my card.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #16,946 of 18,776
Just got the TH900mk2 but when plugged into the XI Audio Formula S headphone amp, I get loud constant hissing even when the amp volume is all the way down to 0, on both high and low gain.

When I plug the TH900mk2 into my Auralic Vega G2 headphone out directly, no problems. Why is it happening with the Formula S amplifier? Never had that issue before with my other headphones (800S, 1266TC)

Aug 5, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #16,947 of 18,776
Just got the TH900mk2 but when plugged into the XI Audio Formula S headphone amp, I get loud constant hissing even when the amp volume is all the way down to 0, on both high and low gain.

When I plug the TH900mk2 into my Auralic Vega G2 headphone out directly, no problems. Why is it happening with the Formula S amplifier? Never had that issue before with my other headphones (800S, 1266TC)
XI Audio Formula S was specifically designed for the Abyss:
"Note from Joe@ABYSS:The Formula S amplifier was specifically designed for the ABYSS AB-1266 Phi CC and comes as a highly recommended mate to appreciate the headphones resolution and musical abilities. Given it's power and gain the Formula S will work it's magic on any full size high-performance headphone. "

TH900MK2 is a lot easier to drive than your other headphones, maybe that's why it picks up the noise?

Aug 5, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #16,948 of 18,776
Ouch that’s mean amount of floor distortion from the amp.

Aug 5, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #16,949 of 18,776
I've searched this thread for pad recommendations regarding treble fatigue, but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. So, I figured I'd make a post about it.

I've recently managed to get my hands on a pair of TH-900mk2 headphones for a good price. I've enjoyed Fostex's TR-X00 line of cans on Drop and haven't had any fatigue issues with them. But the TH-900s are absolutely piercing to me...I can't listen to them for more than about 5 minutes before having to take them off (I recognize that everyone has different reactions to the treble on these headphones...for me, they are unbearably fatiguing...I think only the Beyerdynamic DT-1990 Pro has elicited the same pain for me).

I've tried replacing the stock pads with ZMF Ori lambskin pads, which had a mild improvement. I then added a set of Dekoni attenuator ring into the pads...that made a huge difference and made the headphones far more pleasant for me. However, the bass now bleeds a little too much into the mids, and the treble range remains mildly fatiguing. I've heard putting a layer of toilet paper or paper towel between the rings and pads can help with the treble, but I haven't tried this yet.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good set of pads that can reduce the fatiguing nature of these cans for me? Other options I've heard are using stock TH-610 pads (which are a pricey experiment, since they're $90), YAXI leather pads, and Dan Clark Audio Alpha Pads (I've heard these are more neutral sounding than the ZMF Ori...with the attenuator ring and a layer of paper towel, I thought it might produce similar performance to the ZMF Ori pads but with less bass bleeding).

Thanks for listening!

Aug 5, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #16,950 of 18,776
I've searched this thread for pad recommendations regarding treble fatigue, but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. So, I figured I'd make a post about it.

I've recently managed to get my hands on a pair of TH-900mk2 headphones for a good price. I've enjoyed Fostex's TR-X00 line of cans on Drop and haven't had any fatigue issues with them. But the TH-900s are absolutely piercing to me...I can't listen to them for more than about 5 minutes before having to take them off (I recognize that everyone has different reactions to the treble on these headphones...for me, they are unbearably fatiguing...I think only the Beyerdynamic DT-1990 Pro has elicited the same pain for me).

I've tried replacing the stock pads with ZMF Ori lambskin pads, which had a mild improvement. I then added a set of Dekoni attenuator ring into the pads...that made a huge difference and made the headphones far more pleasant for me. However, the bass now bleeds a little too much into the mids, and the treble range remains mildly fatiguing. I've heard putting a layer of toilet paper or paper towel between the rings and pads can help with the treble, but I haven't tried this yet.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good set of pads that can reduce the fatiguing nature of these cans for me? Other options I've heard are using stock TH-610 pads (which are a pricey experiment, since they're $90), YAXI leather pads, and Dan Clark Audio Alpha Pads (I've heard these are more neutral sounding than the ZMF Ori...with the attenuator ring and a layer of paper towel, I thought it might produce similar performance to the ZMF Ori pads but with less bass bleeding).

Thanks for listening!

One possible thousand dollar mod is the RME DAC. The good news is that it works with all headphones and is non-invasive. I use it for my TR-X00s and Sennheiser 800s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back