Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jun 10, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #16,906 of 18,761
Okay in terms of quality of materials and cost, sure it's an audiophile headphone. It's sound signature is not. I own these still and love the headphone (great for EDM music) but to put them in the league of an Arya, and Audeze, or even say the Focal Clear, they don't match up. I've listened to a lot of headphones and I can tell you the Arya I picked up a few months back have basically put my Fostex into a box. A little EQ and the planar, despite being open, has one hell of a slam. I'd dare to say it rivals the Fostex without the V signature or the closed headphone design.

I've had the Denon D7000 and now the Fostex so trust me, I do like them. I'm not trying to piss on them. Audiophile should be a headphone that can cover a lot of genres but I find the Fostex is at home with bass heavy sound tracks and not much else.
fostex markets the th900 as its "first high-end headphone". audiophiles tend to buy high-end audio equipment. audiophiles have different sonic preferences and not all high-end audio sounds the same. this high-end audio forum is testament to that.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #16,907 of 18,761
Yea, "Audiophile" is a very loose term to begin with. I've heard A LOT of headphones over the years and I still use my TH-900 to listen to electronic music. Now I wouldn't use it to listen to much other music, but what it does well it does VERY WELL. I mean, you wouldn't take a Lamborghini Aventador rally racing, would you?

Jun 11, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #16,908 of 18,761
an audiophile is defined as a "hi-fi enthusiast", and arguing amongst themselves over what constitutes true "high-fidelity" sound continues unabated :wink:

Jun 11, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #16,909 of 18,761
Discerning listeners always regret selling th900 and Hd800S. Most will regret it and want to repurchase them.

Jun 11, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #16,910 of 18,761
Yea, "Audiophile" is a very loose term to begin with. I've heard A LOT of headphones over the years and I still use my TH-900 to listen to electronic music. Now I wouldn't use it to listen to much other music, but what it does well it does VERY WELL. I mean, you wouldn't take a Lamborghini Aventador rally racing, would you?

Loose term yes and like I said earlier it does EDM well. However, jamming EDM on the Arya makes me not miss the Fostex. If you ever get an opportunity to listen to them I must say they truly are endgame. So much so that I'm in the process of selling all my other gear. As for the car term, I use my R8 for everything, rain/shine/hpde events, etc. I prefer a one trick pony these days in most of my hobbies. Cheaper that way, relatively speaking. :sunglasses:

Discerning listeners always regret selling th900 and Hd800S. Most will regret it and want to repurchase them.

I don't know we'll see. It's why I am in zero rush to sell mine. I simply don't use them. If they sell, great, if not, they stay with me. :wink: If you, or anyone you know, wants a pair I have a set that's slightly modified (check out the listing for details).

Jun 11, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #16,911 of 18,761
Okay in terms of quality of materials and cost, sure it's an audiophile headphone. It's sound signature is not. I own these still and love the headphone (great for EDM music) but to put them in the league of an Arya, and Audeze, or even say the Focal Clear, they don't match up. I've listened to a lot of headphones and I can tell you the Arya I picked up a few months back have basically put my Fostex into a box. A little EQ and the planar, despite being open, has one hell of a slam. I'd dare to say it rivals the Fostex without the V signature or the closed headphone design.

I've had the Denon D7000 and now the Fostex so trust me, I do like them. I'm not trying to piss on them. Audiophile should be a headphone that can cover a lot of genres but I find the Fostex is at home with bass heavy sound tracks and not much else.

I think the th 900 works with any genre depending on taste. Not everyone has the same preferences.

Its not like us audiophiles can agree on a sound signature! :p

Jun 11, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #16,913 of 18,761
Loose term yes and like I said earlier it does EDM well. However, jamming EDM on the Arya makes me not miss the Fostex. If you ever get an opportunity to listen to them I must say they truly are endgame. So much so that I'm in the process of selling all my other gear. As for the car term, I use my R8 for everything, rain/shine/hpde events, etc. I prefer a one trick pony these days in most of my hobbies. Cheaper that way, relatively speaking. :sunglasses:

I don't know we'll see. It's why I am in zero rush to sell mine. I simply don't use them. If they sell, great, if not, they stay with me. :wink: If you, or anyone you know, wants a pair I have a set that's slightly modified (check out the listing for details).

I have an HE1000v1. Their subbass response for an open back headphone is incredible. I'd still listen to the TH900's over them though for most electronic music.

My TH900 and HD800SDR are two of my most venerable headphones I currently own. Not gonna sell em...

Jun 11, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #16,914 of 18,761
well they are all the HP i have so......

Jun 11, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #16,915 of 18,761
well they are all the HP i have so......

A very nice complimentary pairing if you only were to have two pairs of headphones.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #16,918 of 18,761
Can someone sum up the differences between the 900, 900 SB, 909?

Which model is the most liked?

I have a SUPER powerful headphone amp- an Audio-gd HE9? Is it to powerful for these headphones??

The th 900 are very good off that amp. The th900 is to my knowledge the most liked one, but that shouldnt matter too much. Its all about your personal taste at this point of quality.

Jun 15, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #16,919 of 18,761
Hi

I use ak120ii to push the th900 Sapphire, but honestly the sound is very hollow and weak. Recently, I saw sp200 and topping d90 which looks awesome. Anyone using them on th900?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back