Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Aug 5, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #16,951 of 18,765
Lawton level 3, dampening, cups, angle pads. You could just dampen and try the angle pads, forget cable and cup upgrades

Aug 5, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #16,953 of 18,765
I've searched this thread for pad recommendations regarding treble fatigue, but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. So, I figured I'd make a post about it.

I've recently managed to get my hands on a pair of TH-900mk2 headphones for a good price. I've enjoyed Fostex's TR-X00 line of cans on Drop and haven't had any fatigue issues with them. But the TH-900s are absolutely piercing to me...I can't listen to them for more than about 5 minutes before having to take them off (I recognize that everyone has different reactions to the treble on these headphones...for me, they are unbearably fatiguing...I think only the Beyerdynamic DT-1990 Pro has elicited the same pain for me).

I've tried replacing the stock pads with ZMF Ori lambskin pads, which had a mild improvement. I then added a set of Dekoni attenuator ring into the pads...that made a huge difference and made the headphones far more pleasant for me. However, the bass now bleeds a little too much into the mids, and the treble range remains mildly fatiguing. I've heard putting a layer of toilet paper or paper towel between the rings and pads can help with the treble, but I haven't tried this yet.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good set of pads that can reduce the fatiguing nature of these cans for me? Other options I've heard are using stock TH-610 pads (which are a pricey experiment, since they're $90), YAXI leather pads, and Dan Clark Audio Alpha Pads (I've heard these are more neutral sounding than the ZMF Ori...with the attenuator ring and a layer of paper towel, I thought it might produce similar performance to the ZMF Ori pads but with less bass bleeding).

Thanks for listening!
You can try the foam pads: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...iscussion-thread.849965/page-25#post-13786031
They helped a lot of people to tame treble peaks on Pro 82 v1, should have similar effect on TH900MK2.

Aug 5, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #16,954 of 18,765
I use Dekoni Elite Sheepskin earpads, tamed the highs for me. YMMV.

Aug 17, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #16,958 of 18,765
For me 2 more efficient options:
1.Equalize them with a dsp like that one in roon or jriver or sonarworks
2.try to sell them!

RME ADI-2 DAC FS!

Aug 17, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #16,959 of 18,765
Sep 5, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #16,961 of 18,765
I've searched this thread for pad recommendations regarding treble fatigue, but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. So, I figured I'd make a post about it.

I've recently managed to get my hands on a pair of TH-900mk2 headphones for a good price. I've enjoyed Fostex's TR-X00 line of cans on Drop and haven't had any fatigue issues with them. But the TH-900s are absolutely piercing to me...I can't listen to them for more than about 5 minutes before having to take them off (I recognize that everyone has different reactions to the treble on these headphones...for me, they are unbearably fatiguing...I think only the Beyerdynamic DT-1990 Pro has elicited the same pain for me).

I've tried replacing the stock pads with ZMF Ori lambskin pads, which had a mild improvement. I then added a set of Dekoni attenuator ring into the pads...that made a huge difference and made the headphones far more pleasant for me. However, the bass now bleeds a little too much into the mids, and the treble range remains mildly fatiguing. I've heard putting a layer of toilet paper or paper towel between the rings and pads can help with the treble, but I haven't tried this yet.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good set of pads that can reduce the fatiguing nature of these cans for me? Other options I've heard are using stock TH-610 pads (which are a pricey experiment, since they're $90), YAXI leather pads, and Dan Clark Audio Alpha Pads (I've heard these are more neutral sounding than the ZMF Ori...with the attenuator ring and a layer of paper towel, I thought it might produce similar performance to the ZMF Ori pads but with less bass bleeding).

Thanks for listening!

A couple people have suggested the RME ADI-2 DAC, but that's actually the DAC that I'm running that still gives painful treble, lol. At home, I'm running that DAC into an SPL Phonitor X amplifier. I know I can EQ on the RME, but I'd prefer not to have to make heavy adjustments right out of the gate. I also want to be able to use these at work, where I'm not allowed to hook up a DAC to my work computer, so I all I can use is an Monoprice THX AAA amplifier and connect it to the line out on the sound card...yes, yes, I know the built-in DAC on the computer is terrible, but I have no alternative.

After toying around with two sets of pads, I want to offer my observations on them. To repeat, the stock pads made these headphones unusable to me...the treble is just too painful (Torq on the boards at headphones.com referred to it as "aural terrorism," which got a big chuckle out of me). I also found a bass to be a little sloppy and bloomy, with it bleeding into the mids.

I've tried out two pad combinations, both with the Dekoni attenuator rings inserted into the pads: ZMF Ori (lambskin) and Dan Clark Audio Alpha pads (lambskin). Both pads help with the treble, so I think it just depends on how treble sensitive you are (I'm pretty sensitive).

As I posted earlier, the ZMF pads don't cut it for me. The treble was still mildly bothersome and the bass still sounded bloomy. I think if you inserted some felt pieces into the ear hole, it would help tame the treble issue slightly (I briefly screwed around with Kleenex, which helped a bit), but probably at the expense of some clarity.

The Alpha pads, on the other hand, definitely did the trick for me! I hesitate to say these headphones have now become the perfect "fun" headphones for me, since I've only been in the headphone hustle for a couple years and I know I still I have lots to learn. At any rate though, I am incredibly happy with the sound signature now. The treble is quite enjoyable. The bass, while not stock levels, is still very elevated and punches hard. It's also very controlled now...it doesn't bleed into the mids and the decay is quick, so it doesn't feel sloppy at all anymore. The Alpha pads, given their obviously gigantic size, also create an even bigger sound stage than the stock pads, which I also like.

I can now wear these headphones at work for 8+ hours/day without a problem. If anyone is struggling to make this headphone work for them and doesn't want to change their audio chain or do surgery on the internals of the headphones, give the Alpha pads + Dekoni attenuator rings a try!

Sep 6, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #16,962 of 18,765
A couple people have suggested the RME ADI-2 DAC, but that's actually the DAC that I'm running that still gives painful treble, lol. At home, I'm running that DAC into an SPL Phonitor X amplifier. I know I can EQ on the RME, but I'd prefer not to have to make heavy adjustments right out of the gate. I also want to be able to use these at work, where I'm not allowed to hook up a DAC to my work computer, so I all I can use is an Monoprice THX AAA amplifier and connect it to the line out on the sound card...yes, yes, I know the built-in DAC on the computer is terrible, but I have no alternative.

After toying around with two sets of pads, I want to offer my observations on them. To repeat, the stock pads made these headphones unusable to me...the treble is just too painful (Torq on the boards at headphones.com referred to it as "aural terrorism," which got a big chuckle out of me). I also found a bass to be a little sloppy and bloomy, with it bleeding into the mids.

I've tried out two pad combinations, both with the Dekoni attenuator rings inserted into the pads: ZMF Ori (lambskin) and Dan Clark Audio Alpha pads (lambskin). Both pads help with the treble, so I think it just depends on how treble sensitive you are (I'm pretty sensitive).

As I posted earlier, the ZMF pads don't cut it for me. The treble was still mildly bothersome and the bass still sounded bloomy. I think if you inserted some felt pieces into the ear hole, it would help tame the treble issue slightly (I briefly screwed around with Kleenex, which helped a bit), but probably at the expense of some clarity.

The Alpha pads, on the other hand, definitely did the trick for me! I hesitate to say these headphones have now become the perfect "fun" headphones for me, since I've only been in the headphone hustle for a couple years and I know I still I have lots to learn. At any rate though, I am incredibly happy with the sound signature now. The treble is quite enjoyable. The bass, while not stock levels, is still very elevated and punches hard. It's also very controlled now...it doesn't bleed into the mids and the decay is quick, so it doesn't feel sloppy at all anymore. The Alpha pads, given their obviously gigantic size, also create an even bigger sound stage than the stock pads, which I also like.

I can now wear these headphones at work for 8+ hours/day without a problem. If anyone is struggling to make this headphone work for them and doesn't want to change their audio chain or do surgery on the internals of the headphones, give the Alpha pads + Dekoni attenuator rings a try!
Can you post a picture of them with the alpha pads?

Sep 6, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #16,963 of 18,765
Can you post a picture of them with the alpha pads?

Yeah, no problem! I tried taking two photos of me wearing them...sorry that one of them isn't great. My lady friend isn't around to help, and my cats are useless and refuse to do anything.

Attachments

• IMG_20200906_112949.jpg
    IMG_20200906_112949.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200906_112956.jpg
    IMG_20200906_112956.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200906_113012.jpg
    IMG_20200906_113012.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200906_113026.jpg
    IMG_20200906_113026.jpg