Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Oct 23, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #15,541 of 18,766
Depending on what one wants, a closed headphone upgrade from the TH900 may be:
- a more linear headphone, with better mids - this one should be easy
- one with more defined/better quality/more transparent bass as opposed to bass quantity (it's still a difficult call)
- better treble - this should be easy.

However, as a total package, I haven't yet found an upgrade from the TH900 with a closed headphone. For stock units, I think the Sony Z1R or Audeze XC might be a good upgrade. When modded, I prefer the TH900 over both.

A Denon 7200 may be an upgrade for its linearity, but IMHO needs mods for catching up with the TH900 in the bass and sound stage areas and it's still not perfect either. I guess many people would still choose my modded TH900 over my modded 7200, and vice versa - I cannot decide either.

ZMF headphones might also be upgrades, I haven't heard any of them, but based on reviews and private discussions I am not sure I want to check out that path at the moment; maybe in the future.

The Oppo PM-3 (with bigger pads) might be an alternative with no particular issues, but not really an upgrade.

The TH-X00 variants, TH610 etc didn't prove to be upgrades. I usually don't like Hifiman and Audeze sound, but you might explore them.

If you can include open headphones, these are IMHO better than the TH900 (not a complete list and not in order of quality): Stax L700, 007 Mk1, 009; Abyss; LCD-4; Focal Utopia, HD800S.
Thank you, that's everything that a heard and listen. I just found the th900 i little bit agressive, but i love the bass, i push them with a audio gd nfb 15.1, a tube amp would make this point better? Or some mod?

Oct 23, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #15,542 of 18,766
ZMF headphones might also be upgrades, I haven't heard any of them, but based on reviews and private discussions I am not sure I want to check out that path at the moment; maybe in the future.

I've been trying the ZMF headphones, since I've also been looking for a more balanced TH-900 since I sold mine. Both Eikon's and Atticus have great mids and are no doubt an upgrade over the TH-900's. The bass is a separate experience though. Atticus gets you that tight mid-bass slam at the cost of satisfying sub-bass rumble. Eikon is opposite in that it has satisfying sub-bass rumble, but not as much mid-bass impact as the Atticus.

From the impressions I've been reading of the upcoming ZMF Auteur, it seems it will have both impact and rumble, but with less quantity in overall bass.

Another headphone I've been looking at is the Klipsch HP-3, but not much helpful impressions there...

Oct 23, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #15,543 of 18,766
Thank you, that's everything that a heard and listen. I just found the th900 i little bit agressive, but i love the bass, i push them with a audio gd nfb 15.1, a tube amp would make this point better? Or some mod?

I guess you are referring to the treble issue; yes, that IMHO needs mods rather than an amp change, although there are big differences between sources and amps in this regard. I don't know the NFB 15.1, but a smooth amp (not necessarily tube) is definitely recommended. You'd need to figure out whether you hear the same/similar aggressiveness with different sources and amps; if yes, and you cannot find an acceptable synergy, then you could do some mods (there are 2 mods threads to check), but I'd recommend upgrading.

Oct 23, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #15,544 of 18,766
I guess you are referring to the treble issue; yes, that IMHO needs mods rather than an amp change, although there are big differences between sources and amps in this regard. I don't know the NFB 15.1, but a smooth amp (not necessarily tube) is definitely recommended. You'd need to figure out whether you hear the same/similar aggressiveness with different sources and amps; if yes, and you cannot find an acceptable synergy, then you could do some mods (there are 2 mods threads to check), but I'd recommend upgrading.
Hi Zolkis,

Which mods do you use yourself?

Oct 23, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #15,546 of 18,766
@jmk720 - it's been said here many times that the th900 responds well to a little eq. worth considering as an alternative to physically modding it.
I dont think that i will mod, iam really close to perfection to my ears, maybe eq would be better.

Oct 23, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #15,547 of 18,766
I heard three different ZMFs and its totl does sound good. In many ways it sounds pretty similar to the th900 but the hp is so heavy.

Oct 24, 2017 at 2:47 AM Post #15,548 of 18,766
Hi Zolkis,

Which mods do you use yourself?

Read it up here. In addition, I've been up late and have done some mods on the D7200 too and they converge with the ones worth doing on the TH900.

But according to earlier agreement in this thread, let's please discuss mods in the mods threads and keep this one for the stock TH900.
I would like to note that when I post opinions that include my TH900, in order to provide context I must say my modded TH900, since that's what it is, and sounds different (IMHO better) than the stock one, which is no slouch either. I do not intend to say "modded TH900" for advertising mods, and I do not make mods for others.

Also, it is right to say that first please try to EQ, especially if you don't have a truly high end rig and don't listen to natural instrument recordings too often. IMHO mods sound cleaner, but indeed the TH900 responds well to EQ and it's so much more convenient than mods - plus, with a lot of kinds of music, there is not that much smearing due to EQ.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #15,549 of 18,766
I wanna re-terminate the stock cable to balanced, because I'm a cheap ass. There's a thick and a thin pin on each connector for the TH900MK2. Does anyone know which one is + and - ?

The two - wires don't merge at the Y for some stupid reason do they? They discretely run the length of the cable and both terminate at the sleeve, right?

edit: nevermind I'm dumb I'll just use the ohm meter before I cut the cable.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #15,550 of 18,766
I wanna re-terminate the stock cable to balanced, because I'm a cheap ass. There's a thick and a thin pin on each connector for the TH900MK2. Does anyone know which one is + and - ?

The two - wires don't merge at the Y for some stupid reason do they? They discretely run the length of the cable and both terminate at the sleeve, right?

edit: nevermind I'm dumb I'll just use the ohm meter before I cut the cable.

It is opposite of HD6xx wiring, therefore the thicker pin is (+) and thinner pin is (-). You may want to save 12 inches cable or so from the 6.3mm connector so that you can wire a female XLR connector on the opposite end. This will give you a matching SE adapter if you ever need.

Nov 2, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #15,552 of 18,766
It is opposite of HD6xx wiring, therefore the thicker pin is (+) and thinner pin is (-). You may want to save 12 inches cable or so from the 6.3mm connector so that you can wire a female XLR connector on the opposite end. This will give you a matching SE adapter if you ever need.
Worked out EXCELLENTLY! At first I had a lot of trouble with the solder, abandoned it and ordered a Silver Dragon from Moon Audio. Then while I was waiting for it to arrive, I thought maybe it was because of the cheap $4 iron I was using and got a higher watt one. Soldering was so easy after that. So I geared it all up and looked up where the wires go in my amp manual, good to go. I still had that Silver Dragon coming tho and was like "ok, I wanna upgrade to silver one day anyway; this is still cool, and it'll be a professional solder job." It arrived, I used my continuity tester on it, and they had the polarity reversed! I'd advise anyone who bought a cable from them (or any cable manufacturer) to test the pins and make sure it's not wired up to be a Sennheiser cable, because stupid stock boys just look at the connectors and go "derp this looks like the one."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back