Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Oct 12, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #15,511 of 18,763
I have the same thing with the HD650. I think I’ve got rid of it 3 or 4 times now, only to replace it later.

I love the TH900 as well. Great headphone and was surprised that the first one didn’t have removeable cables; especially at the price it was going for.

I was tempted by the second version as well as a result. Not sure I like the green though.

I see a lot of people going back to the 650s. I personally haven't touched mine since getting LCD 2 and th900.

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #15,512 of 18,763
I see a lot of people going back to the 650s. I personally haven't touched mine since getting LCD 2 and th900.

650 was my first headphone. Loved it then, still love it now. It just doesn't get the head-time it did before. I have so many other drivers to listen too, especially being so new to the TH900 which now monopolizes all my head-time.

I'm immersed in the TH900 SS and just can't get enough of it. To this point, this is the finest HP I've had the pleasure of listening to for my tastes. They're much more balanced then I thought they'd be. The bass though is very tight/fast/punchy and does go very deep especially in that insane sub bass.

Looking forward to chatting with everyone.

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #15,513 of 18,763
650 was my first headphone. Loved it then, still love it now. It just doesn't get the head-time it did before. I have so many other drivers to listen too, especially being so new to the TH900 which now monopolizes all my head-time.

I'm immersed in the TH900 SS and just can't get enough of it. To this point, this is the finest HP I've had the pleasure of listening to for my tastes. They're much more balanced then I thought they'd be. The bass though is very tight/fast/punchy and does go very deep especially in that insane sub bass.

Do you prefer the TH900 with your Lyr 2 or Jot? I'm using a Jot, Lyr 2 and Deckard.

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #15,514 of 18,763
Do you prefer the TH900 with your Lyr 2 or Jot? I'm using a Jot, Lyr 2 and Deckard.

By far the Lyr2. The Jot sounds great but it definitely has an edge, brightness to it. Couple that with extended highs on the 900, it can get a bit sharp.
I really like rolling my Holland PW tubes I just got. It really smooths everything out. It's a pretty warm sounding tube and it extends the mids a bit which really blends everything together so well. It just sounds so much better in the uppers and tames it a bit without losing any detail.

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #15,515 of 18,763
Do you find low level hiss a problem with tube amps? I have two amps here and with both, due to the low impedance of the th900, there is a very slight amount of hiss. Mind you, the room needs to be very quiet to hear it.

Oct 12, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #15,516 of 18,763
By far the Lyr2. The Jot sounds great but it definitely has an edge, brightness to it. Couple that with extended highs on the 900, it can get a bit sharp.
I really like rolling my Holland PW tubes I just got. It really smooths everything out. It's a pretty warm sounding tube and it extends the mids a bit which really blends everything together so well. It just sounds so much better in the uppers and tames it a bit without losing any detail.

I really struggled listening to my Th900 and x00 for extended periods of time when using the Jotunheim DAC. Found it to be very fatiguing. Much more pleasant running through Gumby. Still don't have much listening time with th900/Lyr 2. I'd say I've used my Deckard the most.

Oct 12, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #15,517 of 18,763
EQ it would make it work , so simple.

Oct 12, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #15,518 of 18,763
Do you find low level hiss a problem with tube amps? I have two amps here and with both, due to the low impedance of the th900, there is a very slight amount of hiss. Mind you, the room needs to be very quiet to hear it.

TBH, My hearing isn't what it used to be like. I do of Tinnitus and it can get quite sever at time. I probably listen at 85db most of the time to compensate for the ringing. I don't hear any hiss at all as it's a pitch black background even at low levels. My home is also kind of noisy too with kids, wife, dog, etc.
Attaining that deep silence I'm always looking for, just doesn't happen.
Maybe someone else can chime in.

Oct 12, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #15,519 of 18,763
It’s just something that’s very low level and tbh. I find normally that higher impedance headphones just work better with tubes.

I think many just don’t notice with ambient noise and then music covering it. Not just th900 but most low impedance headphones. They can be a bit too sensitive for some amps.

I’d have loved the choice of lead with my version in order to drive it straight from daps. That would keep hiss levels down as well.

Oct 12, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #15,520 of 18,763

I heard a hiss with th900 + valhalla2. It was there even though not that apparent

Oct 12, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #15,521 of 18,763
I heard a hiss with th900 + valhalla2. It was there even though not that apparent

Man, you guys have some stellar hearing. I guess having some hearing issues isn't a bad thing at times. No...wait, that's never good.
Now I'm really intrigued and want to find a way to get some dead silence.

Oct 12, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #15,522 of 18,763

Depends on the gain settings. Especially if it sounds like volume related hiss and doesn’t disappear when you touch the amp.

The Zana Deux SE is a tube amp that has inky black quiet backgrounds with the TH900. Meanwhile some of the more powerful amps out there, tube or solid state or hybrid, will give you hiss.

Oct 12, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #15,523 of 18,763
Man, you guys have some stellar hearing. I guess having some hearing issues isn't a bad thing at times. No...wait, that's never good.
Now I'm really intrigued and want to find a way to get some dead silence.

No, not at all.:beerchug:

I’ve heard so many amps and basically, once you hear it, you can end up listening for it. Low impedance headphones especially.

The hiss normally remains with volume off as well.

All electronics make noise of some sort. I’ve been fighting with all kinds of microphones for instance over the past couple of weeks in order to work out what preamp suits what mic. Hiss levels do vary, and it depends on how clean the output of your amps are.

Generally though, I think tubes work better with higher loads really. Headphones that need more voltage rather than current.

Of course there must be some that might be an exception I guess. You can actually lose it by sticking a bit more resistance before the headphone and hope that it doesn’t alter the frequency response of the headphone too much. I use attenuators to eliminate the hiss if it bothers me. Then you get the benefit of having more play on the volume pot and aren’t tracking right at the bottom.

It is a gain thing, and having less gain would help. I just stick attenuation in and it’s in effect eliminated.

Possibly I’m using overpowered amps to drive low impedance headphones.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #15,524 of 18,763

It is extremely low level, yes. In fact, in a room with sounds around like heating or whatever, you wouldn’t hear it. I need dead silence to detect it on my amps but that’s the nature of low impedance headphones. They are very sensitive to noise.

Oct 12, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #15,525 of 18,763
It is extremely low level, yes. In fact, in a room with sounds around like heating or whatever, you wouldn’t hear it. I need dead silence to detect it on my amps but that’s the nature of low impedance headphones. They are very sensitive to noise.

I was expecting the hiss and somehow hear it. If I was not focusing, I'll never notice the hiss. But it's bugging me sometimes and decided to get Liquid Carbon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back