Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Sep 21, 2017 at 7:15 AM Post #15,481 of 18,761
Which tube amplifier would you prefer using with unmodified TH900? Zana Deux S or Woo WA7TP?
I expect it to be warmer with these amps. Later on , I may sell TH900 to buy Focal Utopia. So the new amplifier had better match well with Focal Utopia as well..

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #15,482 of 18,761
My vote is for the deux

Sep 21, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #15,484 of 18,761
The Mjolnir 2 with WE396a tubes should also be on your list. That and a Bimby or Gumby is a great combo. I have both the TH900 and the Utopia, and they both work well with that combo.

Sep 22, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #15,485 of 18,761
Just reporting back to say that I ran the headphones from a Peachtree nova150 and they were still screechy on the music I listen to normally. HOWEVER: I put on some well-recorded Jazz, as well as David Bowie's last album, Blackstar, which is kind of a jazzy fusion mix... and they really came together with that genre of music. The bass because huge but not overpowering, just strong enough to feel in your soul. Cymbals went right where they should have been. Bowie's gasping death rattle sounded in-your-face and disturbing, as it should be. Made me kind of second-guess my decision to sell 'em... but hey I just don't listen to jazz that much.

Sep 22, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #15,486 of 18,761
150 hrs burn in. Yes I daid it, dont kill me.

Sep 22, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #15,487 of 18,761
I don’t find my la900 boomy but it is a bass cannon to me. The entire low end thumps but don’t mistake this as boomy bass. Its charecteur albeit distinct, is not exaggerated for effect. Don’t look for more than it is and expect some recess that needs the high end to counter the thump. I’m still using hpa8 and seems like a good fit till ch TT 2 is realeased and I’ll sell the 8 and slide over TT 1 to la900.

Sep 22, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #15,488 of 18,761
I don’t find my la900 boomy but it is a bass cannon to me. The entire low end thumps but don’t mistake this as boomy bass. Its charecteur albeit distinct, is not exaggerated for effect. Don’t look for more than it is and expect some recess that needs the high end to counter the thump. I’m still using hpa8 and seems like a good fit till ch TT 2 is realeased and I’ll sell the 8 and slide over TT 1 to la900.
i tried them with 10db boost below 50hz, it was a lot of fun

Sep 24, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #15,489 of 18,761
Which tube amplifier would you prefer using with unmodified TH900? Zana Deux S or Woo WA7TP?

I'm using WA7TP with Lawton level 2 modded TH900mk2. I have warm Mullard tubes in the power and I'm using Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable. This set up sounds quite warm to my ears, piercing treble is totally gone.

I use to run these phones with Schiit Lyr2 and that set up was too bright even with the Lawton level 2 mod.

With the stock tubes WA7TP sounded bit too bright with the Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable, but with the Mullards on the power it sounds very good to my ears.

Sep 26, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #15,490 of 18,761
Does someone know the diameter of earpads used for the TH900? I'm looking to get the TH900 Dekoni replacement pads for another headphone, but I don't see the dimensions of the earpads anywhere.

Sep 28, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #15,491 of 18,761
Just reporting back to say that I ran the headphones from a Peachtree nova150 and they were still screechy on the music I listen to normally. HOWEVER: I put on some well-recorded Jazz, as well as David Bowie's last album, Blackstar, which is kind of a jazzy fusion mix... and they really came together with that genre of music. The bass because huge but not overpowering, just strong enough to feel in your soul. Cymbals went right where they should have been. Bowie's gasping death rattle sounded in-your-face and disturbing, as it should be. Made me kind of second-guess my decision to sell 'em... but hey I just don't listen to jazz that much.

(Edit: Nevermind, you already sold the headphones...)

(Edit 2: Nevermind again... Decided to sell again. Guess I can't resist new headphone announcements...)

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #15,492 of 18,761
Okay, the tubes definitely make a difference! I'm able to get that mid-bass slam I got from the Lawton tune-up kit without the lower-treble spike.

Edit: Schiit Loki does an amazing job being a hardware EQ for the TH-900. Prefer it over digital EQ now, since I can get too carried away and frustrated trying to get each slider perfect...

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #15,493 of 18,761
it has been said here before and also at another headphone forum that the th900 benefits from tube amplification

Sep 29, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #15,494 of 18,761
it has been said here before and also at another headphone forum that the th900 benefits from tube amplification

I know, but I wasn't expecting how much of a change it makes. It's just past experience with tubes showed very little change in sound (used to have a Valhalla 2). The Ember now doesn't make a big change in the Atticus imo. It's more subtle, so there are probably other factors that play a role (like synergy). That's why I bought the Liquid Carbon a while back, because I didn't see the hype over tubes. My bad.

Oct 7, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #15,495 of 18,761
With my recent addition of Utopias, I still can't let the TH900 go. I had removed the Lawton mods because I was prepping the TH900 for sale on classified. Of course I had to give everything a thorough listen before selling. I agree with @ctaxxxx that stock TH900 with the Lawton pads are the way to go. It's not as razor sharp as with internal Lawton mods. When I listen with my iCan Pro at full tube mode, it's a great dynamic, fun sound. I still just need a touch of EQ at 6 kHz at -2 dB but that's it. I'm definitely keeping these because at moderate volume, they do a decent job of sound isolation that my Utopias can't do. Plus, when in the mood just for rocking good time, TH900 delivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back