Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by muppetface, Feb 13, 2012.
  1. BenF
    I have a bunch of cables terminated for Sennheiser. Should I avoid using them on TH900MK2?

2. BenF
    Abyss 1266 Lite (original, not "Phi") is definitely an upgrade, I compared them side-by-side in a store.

I still bought TH900Mk2, because I needed to a closed headphone (which turns out it's not), and 1266 is very amp-picky.
    It sounded perfect, yet boring from Oppo HA-1, came to life when I switched to Cayin HA-1AMk2.
    It's was still perfect, just not boring anymore.

Oppo HA-2 was used as DAC in both cases

3. bflat
  4. jmills8
    I use my TH900 on the go, 3 hrs a day. The Abyss impossible and 4K cost. Come on.

5. jmk720
    Guys i spend my weekend testing my th900 in different amps, like Marantz HD DAC1, Violetric V200, NFB 15.1 and the last one was the Fostex HP-A8, i liked more on the V200, but none of them push the th900 on my taste, is there any recomendation? I like so much this bass... I want a little more on the mids and calm down on highs. I think i am very close to my endgame! Thanks

6. Tompo88
    I have a Deckard, Lyr 2 and a Jotunheim. All connected to a gungnir multibit. I'd say the Deckard is my favorite of those 3. The gungnir also tames the highs better than the rest of my sources.

jmk720 likes this.
  7. Whazzzup
    end game thats funny

8. FastAndClean
    end game is a myth

9. jmills8
    It will end, either by choice, forced to , or from wisdom.

10. George Taylor
    Couldn't agree more. So, I have a couple of questions. First, the TH900 related one. Has anyone in the states tried finding out how much upgrading a set of MK 1's by Fostex, into basically MK2s, would cost yet? I'm curious, and if it's a realistic price I'd be interested in getting mine done. Second, and not really TH900 related. But Fostex related. I bought a pair of the T40RP's this week, and am really digging them. My question is, is there a forum thread for these cans here? Or even one for the line ( 20s through 50s)? I can't find one, unless you count the modding one. I'm not interested in modding, I just like reading other folks opinions/comparisons to cans I own. Sorry about going off topic, but I don't where else to ask and my searching using the tools of the site have been fruitless.

11. jmills8
    Lawton

12. Bonepark
    I have been using TH-900mk2's with Moon Audio Silver Dragon ver2. cable which is made for Sennheiser HD600. So the polarity is inverted. With my experiences this takes the sound more out of your head and up. Naturally this is subjective, but there is a difference.

One good way to test the difference is to use a dac/amp which has a switch for polarity. I use iFi micro for on the go purposes, it has this polarity switch. I have made tests with my friends who are not so deep into this hobby and most of them have said that it really sounds different. So it's up to you how big you find the difference and do you like it or not.

In my opinion this 'more open sound' is good for most of the recordings. Some recordings which have lot's of echo and naturally wide mixing, might suffer from this reversed polarity, but that is again my subjective opinion.

13. up late
    did you try eq? it is completely reversible.

14. mmlogic
    Here’s another candidate for TH900 amplification I don’t think has ever been mentioned here before: Niuniu Audio’s Designed For Grado.
    A headphone amplifier designed exclusively for Grado GS1000e, made by a Chinese DIYer/Grado headphone enthusiast, only sold on Taobao.
    I’ve been using it on TH900 for 2 months now and here’s what I think it does : Tame the over bright treble, make the vocal more present, and keep the bass well under control.

15. montanari
    An equalizer!