Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jun 1, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #10,561 of 18,765

"Audiophile works only with good recordings while 99% of music are badly recorded"...I wouldn't go that far but I get your point.

but seriously if u r into darkwave, synthpop or metal u know i did not exaggerate alot 

Jun 1, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #10,562 of 18,765
Maybe for those genres it is but not for ALL recorded music.

Jun 1, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #10,563 of 18,765
Just got back from a two week vacation, had nothing but Koss porta pros playing off my Note 2.
Listened to th900 as soon as i got back, my god goosebumps all over again, I missed these headphones!

Jun 1, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #10,564 of 18,765
  Just got back from a two week vacation, had nothing but Koss porta pros playing off my Note 2.
Listened to th900 as soon as i got back, my god goosebumps all over again, I missed these headphones!

I still have my Porta Pros bought back around 2001 from Future Shop. Still have the original retail box and receipt! I used to think they were so darn good, and I guess for the price they are actually fairly decent, but yes after years of better headphones it is nice to come home to something like the Fostex.

Jun 1, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #10,565 of 18,765
u should see how bad recording sound on audeze, its baaaaaaddddddddddd that sometimes i just want to smash it on the floor and go beats all the way :)

i think we need to find a new terminology instead of audiophile, as audiophile works only with good recordings while 99% of music are badly recorded so i think we need a new term, a new forum, so heapdhone companies can help with our struggle to be able also to enjoy badly recorded music

if i was an aritist and the sound engineer or mixer recorded my album in such a bad way i would give him a taste of my fist in private parts

beats might see you right - seriously

Jun 1, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #10,566 of 18,765
  u should see how bad recording sound on audeze, its baaaaaaddddddddddd that sometimes i just want to smash it on the floor and go beats all the way :)

i think we need to find a new terminology instead of audiophile, as audiophile works only with good recordings while 99% of music are badly recorded so i think we need a new term, a new forum, so heapdhone companies can help with our struggle to be able also to enjoy badly recorded music

if i was an aritist and the sound engineer or mixer recorded my album in such a bad way i would give him a taste of my fist in private parts

I don't know dude, about 99.99% of posters here who own Audeze would disagree with you completely, and based on my limited time with a few LCD models I wouldn't agree either. Now assuming you mean hot, overly loud recordings when you say bad well then the warmish Audeze house sound should improve these recordings. Perhaps if you're talking about really muddy recordings with slurred bass and rolled off highs, okay, sure then the Audeze sound would make those recordings worse sounding.

Now I imagine you were exaggerating to make a point when you said you would go Beats and that you felt Beats were superior audio devices for audio playback over Audeze, well I don't know what to say to that, it just defies logic. I actually am not a Beats hater at all, I typically stand up for the newer better sounding Beats, but to claim that they are better than any Audeze offering is difficult to take seriously, so I assume you're joking.

Jun 2, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #10,567 of 18,765

I don't know dude, about 99.99% of posters here who own Audeze would disagree with you completely, and based on my limited time with a few LCD models I wouldn't agree either. Now assuming you mean hot, overly loud recordings when you say bad well then the warmish Audeze house sound should improve these recordings. Perhaps if you're talking about really muddy recordings with slurred bass and rolled off highs, okay, sure then the Audeze sound would make those recordings worse sounding.

Now I imagine you were exaggerating to make a point when you said you would go Beats and that you felt Beats were superior audio devices for audio playback over Audeze, well I don't know what to say to that, it just defies logic. I actually am not a Beats hater at all, I typically stand up for the newer better sounding Beats, but to claim that they are better than any Audeze offering is difficult to take seriously, so I assume you're joking.

wo wo hold on my friend of course i was sarcastic about beats :wink:

now two regular people heard the audeze without bass boost on high end dacs and amps and they felt it sound not musical, and sharp, harsh at times and also said where is the bass

Those 2 people then simply turned their backs and did not buy them

So now with really great recorded music the audeze lcd2 will sound good, but with music recorded only decently I feel i need to eq the hell out of it, by reducing freq 4khz and up, also increase bass from 20-80 hz by at least 6db
and that is with alo mk3 B turned bass boost all the way and ifi dsd micro as a dac

Now the question is, do I like the audeze, well sometimes i love them, and sometimes I look at them with a look that I want to smash the hell out of it, but then I come back to my senses and start cursing the recording studio or label 

Now by all means, I am a very critical person, and I heard some other decent headphones like hifiman, HD800, ATH, Denons, and all the LCD lines and to be honest each has its own short coming, do I blame headphone companies, yes I do but I curse recording studios for putting out crappy quality recordings, and I wish those studios would all be shut down for good, as they do artists so bad. 

Jun 2, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #10,569 of 18,765

now two regular people heard the audeze without bass boost on high end dacs and amps and they felt it sound not musical, and sharp, harsh at times and also said where is the bass

So now with really great recorded music the audeze lcd2 will sound good, but with music recorded only decently I feel i need to eq the hell out of it, by reducing freq 4khz and up, also increase bass from 20-80 hz by at least 6db
and that is with alo mk3 B turned bass boost all the way and ifi dsd micro as a dac

Now the question is, do I like the audeze, well sometimes i love them, and sometimes I look at them with a look that I want to smash the hell out of it, but then I come back to my senses and start cursing the recording studio or label 

Now by all means, I am a very critical person, and I heard some other decent headphones like hifiman, HD800, ATH, Denons, and all the LCD lines and to be honest each has its own short coming, do I blame headphone companies, yes I do but I curse recording studios for putting out crappy quality recordings, and I wish those studios would all be shut down for good, as they do artists so bad. 

Thanks for the clarification brother. Actually, it is the label executives who force the engineers to master that way, as well as the artists. I have read about this and engineers are honest and say unless you're a superstar with a platinum reputation that can call the shots, if you want work, you brick wall the **** out of things because that is what they are told to do and they got bills to pay so they cave. Sad reality. **** trickles down so start at the top to find the guilty parties.

Jun 2, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #10,570 of 18,765

Thanks for the clarification brother. Actually, it is the label executives who force the engineers to master that way, as well as the artists. I have read about this and engineers are honest and say unless you're a superstar with a platinum reputation that can call the shots, if you want work, you brick wall the **** out of things because that is what they are told to do and they got bills to pay so they cave. Sad reality. **** trickles down so start at the top to find the guilty parties.

There are fantastic recordings out from artists that will not see the top 100 ever. There are very good recordings from bands back to the late sixties. Some alright recordings in the fifties, the fourty's and earlier can be a struggle, for example why is Alan parsons project so well done yet my favorite 70 bands like genesis or Bowie not so much... Nowadays I find most recordings in most genres quite good indeed, and I don't buy popular music that much at all.
Now concerning th900 I like them in all types of recordings. There is no benefit of listening to a lessor can IMO.

Jun 4, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #10,571 of 18,765
Briefly AB'ed my TH900 against the HE1000 yesterday. Both phones are driven by my paw gold (th900 on low gain and he1000 on high gain) because I simply cannot find a proper amp that could drive both phones to my usual listening volume.

Soundstage: Surprisingly I did not feel a significant improvement in soundstage when switching from th900 to he1000. I actually preferred the more natural soundstage portrayed by th900.

Bass: th900 wins hands down. He1000 is not lacking in bass, but th900 goes deeper, and engages you with the rumble.

Mids: switching back to th900 from he1000 I asked myself, does th900 really have mids??? Compared to the smooth yet detailed hifiman-signature mids, th900 does have a recessed mids. Not only vocals but also electric guitars sound more forward and vivid from he1000.

High: he1000 has a better extension (instrument come to my eyebrows when listening to th900 now comes to my forehead), yet less fatiguing than th900. He1000 has a precise imagining similar to hd800 but probably because of the excellent mids, the highs does not sound forward, aggressive, or prominent.

Overall: as a proud th900 user, I do feel the he1000 IS an upgrade from th900. However, due to my music preference, I weight the bass over everything else and still enjoy the unique, speaker-like soundstage from th900.

Jun 4, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #10,573 of 18,765
Overall: as a proud th900 user, I do feel the he1000 IS an upgrade from th900. However, due to my music preference, I weight the bass over everything else and still enjoy the unique, speaker-like soundstage from th900.

Not to mention, at $3000 those differences are bought at an extremely high premium. For those with quite a bit of disposable income, or for those that value headphone listening the most perhaps it is a good investment. However, if you equally enjoy speaker listening (as I do) I think spending $3000 on speakers is a much better investment as you can share the music with others, plus I think selling used speakers at that price point will be easier as the market of better speaker users is sure to be much greater than headphone users willing to spend that kind of money.

Jun 4, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #10,574 of 18,765
Briefly AB'ed my TH900 against the HE1000 yesterday. Both phones are driven by my paw gold (th900 on low gain and he1000 on high gain) because I simply cannot find a proper amp that could drive both phones to my usual listening volume.

Soundstage: Surprisingly I did not feel a significant improvement in soundstage when switching from th900 to he1000. I actually preferred the more natural soundstage portrayed by th900.

Bass: th900 wins hands down. He1000 is not lacking in bass, but th900 goes deeper, and engages you with the rumble.

Mids: switching back to th900 from he1000 I asked myself, does th900 really have mids??? Compared to the smooth yet detailed hifiman-signature mids, th900 does have a recessed mids. Not only vocals but also electric guitars sound more forward and vivid from he1000.

High: he1000 has a better extension (instrument come to my eyebrows when listening to th900 now comes to my forehead), yet less fatiguing than th900. He1000 has a precise imagining similar to hd800 but probably because of the excellent mids, the highs does not sound forward, aggressive, or prominent.

Thanks for that. This is exactly what i would like as a compliment to th900, and i love th900. I would like that mid and high accentuation. Meanwhile the V suits me just fine with most genres, the hugo applying nice bass extension to est as i type

Jun 4, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #10,575 of 18,765

Honest and well worded mini comparison.

Great to see our beloved 900 holding strong against the latest FOTM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back