Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
May 31, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #10,546 of 18,776
  Feel mine too)) I have an issue with sibilliants when paired with Fostex TH-900.
frown.gif
God, this just drives me crazy...It's a problem audible only with some songs but in any formats (MP3, FLAC, DSD). The treble sounds so sharp that sometimes I can't even stand it.
triportsad.gif
  I do not really know if it's a problem of my DAP as I'm now "on the go" and can't try it with any other source. Guys, need your help or advice or whatever)

If you have a parametric EQ, try reducing 1500 Hz by -6 dB (Q=1), and 5200 Hz by -7.5 dB (Q=3.33). If simple EQ, again, find the closest frequency bars to these frequencies and tinker reducing them.

May 31, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #10,547 of 18,776

If you have a parametric EQ, try reducing 1500 Hz by -6 dB (Q=1), and 5200 Hz by -7.5 dB (Q=3.33). If simple EQ, again, find the closest frequency bars to these frequencies and tinker reducing them.

Thx. Actually, the EQ adjustments really works. But I prefer the original sound and I listen to different genres so isometimes it can be uncomfortable to adjust it from Rock to classical, for example.

May 31, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #10,548 of 18,776
  Thx. Actually, the EQ adjustments really works. But I prefer the original sound and I listen to different genres so isometimes it can be uncomfortable to adjust it from Rock to classical, for example.

We just need to accept that there are some very bad recordings and either listen to them at lower volumes if that helps, or just don't listen to them. That's what I do now, there is a ton of my collection that is so poorly recorded, or is hot mastered to the point where the music itself is just not rewarding enough to punish myself with, so I just don't bother with that material. I say who cares, it often seems to me that we cling to our old tunes like a security blanket and we'll try to adjust our rig to compensate for garbage recordings. I say stop listening to the music. If there are songs that the treble is so sharp it hurts, either turn it down, EQ it (which you don't like) or don't bother with it.

Once I stopped only liking my collection on hand it forced me to seek out new music and genres where I could find better recordings, and great musical content. That is how I discovered electronica which surprised me with just how enjoyable the music is, and how good it can sound. I love rock of all flavours, but so much of it sounds like ass (same with some of the old blues and jazz) and I have just learned to accept I don't like the recordings and only rarely will I listen to things that are punishing to hear. There are just so many artists and styles to discover that I won't waste my time trying to find a way to make a bad recording bearable; I mean come on, so much of this material (at least for me) I have been listening to for years so moving on isn't a big deal. I mean really, why limit myself to the same old tunes? Very boring.

May 31, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #10,549 of 18,776
Maybe I haven't been following this thread close enough, but this is the first I've seen of this issue. The screw broke off inside the cup? Did you get any pictures? Sorry if you already went over this but I looked really.

No pics, sorry. It seems to be a known issue, the screw that holds the bracket to the cups broke off. Not directly into the cups, but on each side there is a screw and a nut on the lower portion of the bracket, just above the cups.

May 31, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #10,550 of 18,776
Thanks for the disclosure I guess, but leave jazz and blues out of this. Don't care if Joe pass recordings are not as high quality as robert babicz. However I do agree after going head fi it's cost me thousands of song downloads from the 50 to present....:pensive:

May 31, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #10,551 of 18,776

We just need to accept that there are some very bad recordings and either listen to them at lower volumes if that helps, or just don't listen to them. That's what I do now, there is a ton of my collection that is so poorly recorded, or is hot mastered to the point where the music itself is just not rewarding enough to punish myself with, so I just don't bother with that material. I say who cares, it often seems to me that we cling to our old tunes like a security blanket and we'll try to adjust our rig to compensate for garbage recordings. I say stop listening to the music. If there are songs that the treble is so sharp it hurts, either turn it down, EQ it (which you don't like) or don't bother with it.

Once I stopped only liking my collection on hand it forced me to seek out new music and genres where I could find better recordings, and great musical content. That is how I discovered electronica which surprised me with just how enjoyable the music is, and how good it can sound. I love rock of all flavours, but so much of it sounds like ass (same with some of the old blues and jazz) and I have just learned to accept I don't like the recordings and only rarely will I listen to things that are punishing to hear. There are just so many artists and styles to discover that I won't waste my time trying to find a way to make a bad recording bearable; I mean come on, so much of this material (at least for me) I have been listening to for years so moving on isn't a big deal. I mean really, why limit myself to the same old tunes? Very boring.

I totally agree with you. But the point is that I have this issue with DSD. It was my first reaction to improve the quality but when I did so I found myself with the same problem. And that's what really makes me sad. As i think, it's either the question of pairing or break-in.

May 31, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #10,552 of 18,776
It's something cause to me it all sounds good. From Allan parsons project to wax stag. I also USB...?

May 31, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #10,553 of 18,776

The EQ works because these are frequencies peaks that are from the headphones. What you are saying is that you like the added treble from these peaks for certain genres. Which is fine, but I would recommend getting used to the EQ'd sound signature. That way you can just leave it with the same EQ as is always, with any genre. I personally think the search for ultimate sound is the search for ultimate neutrality.

May 31, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #10,555 of 18,776
I totally agree with you. But the point is that I have this issue with DSD. It was my first reaction to improve the quality but when I did so I found myself with the same problem. And that's what really makes me sad. As i think, it's either the question of pairing or break-in.

sibilance is in the recording to begin with but it can be accentuated by some cans more than others depending on their tuning/fr. if you're finding it unbearable with the th900 then maybe you should consider offloading it and finding a can that's more forgiving.

The EQ works because these are frequencies peaks that are from the headphones. What you are saying is that you like the added treble from these peaks for certain genres. Which is fine, but I would recommend getting used to the EQ'd sound signature. That way you can just leave it with the same EQ as is always, with any genre. I personally think the search for ultimate sound is the search for ultimate neutrality.

eq was worth a try but looks like enormal1 isn't satisfied with the overall change to the th900's fr. applying eq isn't a cure all. sometimes a can's sound signature just isn't for you. good luck with your search for "ultimate neutrality" btw. :wink:

May 31, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #10,556 of 18,776
Yes I did. I'm actually going to order more. The screw and the nut it goes into. Going to order a few of each since it took some time to get to me.

Good thinking ..... def a smart move.

sibilance is in the recording to begin with but it can be accentuated by some cans more than others depending on their tuning/fr. if you're finding it unbearable with the th900 then maybe you should consider offloading it and finding a can that's more forgiving.

Agreed ....hopefully its not the case Enormal1 and hopefully with some burn in time (driver and / or brain) and perhaps a DAC / Amp switch up the problem solves itself.

Give it some time, be patient.  If all fails perhaps its just not in the stars for you and the 900 and may be best you look at other options.

Keyword here......patience.  Live with it for a while.

Jun 1, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #10,558 of 18,776
u should see how bad recording sound on audeze, its baaaaaaddddddddddd that sometimes i just want to smash it on the floor and go beats all the way :)

i think we need to find a new terminology instead of audiophile, as audiophile works only with good recordings while 99% of music are badly recorded so i think we need a new term, a new forum, so heapdhone companies can help with our struggle to be able also to enjoy badly recorded music

if i was an aritist and the sound engineer or mixer recorded my album in such a bad way i would give him a taste of my fist in private parts

Jun 1, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #10,559 of 18,776
  u should see how bad recording sound on audeze, its baaaaaaddddddddddd that sometimes i just want to smash it on the floor and go beats all the way :)

i think we need to find a new terminology instead of audiophile, as audiophile works only with good recordings while 99% of music are badly recorded so i think we need a new term, a new forum, so heapdhone companies can help with our struggle to be able also to enjoy badly recorded music

if i was an aritist and the sound engineer or mixer recorded my album in such a bad way i would give him a taste of my fist in private parts

"Audiophile works only with good recordings while 99% of music are badly recorded"...I wouldn't go that far but I get your point.

Jun 1, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #10,560 of 18,776
It's something cause to me it all sounds good. From Allan parsons project to wax stag. I also USB...?

Same here, never had any sibilance or problems with the highs on any TH-900s I have.
It didn't come when they were modded (T5, increses detail and sounds more crisp) as well and now with the Black Scorpion cable which I find to be ultra revealing and adding another level of detail I still have no problem. 
Of course, playing Paranoid by Black Sabbath, especially the second half reveals how badly it was recorded. But I always said that there are better cans to play older, badly recorded rock with. L3000 and HD650 IMO and I hear good things from the RS1 for that type of music and recording as well.
Will be trying a T1 Lawton in a few weeks or a month which should sound better with rock but I can hardly imagine it will sound better with lesser recordings. We'll see.

And as Up Late said, sibilance, as well as any other artifacts I might add, are in the recording to begin with.
So now matter how you get the music, from mp3 up to DSD, as long as it's the same version from the same mater tapes you will hear it. It may sound less obvious when compressed though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back