Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jun 4, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #10,576 of 18,776
Not to mention, at $3000 those differences are bought at an extremely high premium. For those with quite a bit of disposable income, or for those that value headphone listening the most perhaps it is a good investment. However, if you equally enjoy speaker listening (as I do) I think spending $3000 on speakers is a much better investment...

i know it's the high end and all but i think that the price of totl cans and ancillary gear has got out of hand

Honest and well worded mini comparison.

Great to see our beloved 900 holding strong against the latest FOTM.

likewise

Jun 4, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #10,577 of 18,776
i know it's the high end and all but i think that the price of totl cans and ancillary gear has got out of hand
likewise

Indeed it has. Seriously, $3000 for a headphone that sounds better to some extent than headphones that cost less than half? I have heard that head to head the Ether is considered to compare to the HE 1000 very well. At $2000 I might have been in, even then not sure, but at $3000 not a chance for me. Way to much money for a headphone for me.

And yes I see the hypocrisy as some could argue for less than half of the cost of a TH900 I could have purchased headphones that give me most of the sound quality.

Jun 5, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #10,578 of 18,776
well, we all know that at the top end, we're just talking about small differences here and there...headphones might add a percent or two here, a different amp might add another percent there. so, it's not all that surprising that some find the differences to be small...to put a value on those differences, however, is a very subjective thing. some will gladly pay a couple of thousand bucks for a little better sound, some won't. that's what makes this hobby fun, IMO.

Jun 5, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #10,579 of 18,776
agreed - diminishing returns and all that. still can't help feeling that the pricing of totl cans in particular has become ridiculous. but to each his own, ymmv, yada yada.

Jun 5, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #10,580 of 18,776
  well, we all know that at the top end, we're just talking about small differences here and there...headphones might add a percent or two here, a different amp might add another percent there. so, it's not all that surprising that some find the differences to be small...to put a value on those differences, however, is a very subjective thing. some will gladly pay a couple of thousand bucks for a little better sound, some won't. that's what makes this hobby fun, IMO.

I think it isn't about who values these differences as much is it's about who can afford to pay for these differences. My resistance I'm sure, as are my attitudes, are tied to my financial reality which makes a $3000 headphone while not impossible, still quite foolish and irresponsible.

Jun 5, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #10,581 of 18,776
Yes to each there own, you are ether the target market or not. To lots of folks th900 is ridiculous price and unattainable.

Jun 5, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #10,584 of 18,776
yep. I don't tell my friends how much my headphones cost. I don't let them listen to any of them either...except the grado sr60.

And you shouldn't. The first time I did that (and that will also be the last time...) my girlfriend gave me a state-of-the-art bollocking and asked why I didn't donate that money to people in need. 
biggrin.gif

If she only knew what Sony Walkmen cost these days...
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 5, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #10,585 of 18,776
yep. I don't tell my friends how much my headphones cost. I don't let them listen to any of them either...except the grado sr60.

And you shouldn't. The first time I did that (and that will also be the last time...) my girlfriend gave me a state-of-the-art bollocking and asked why I didn't donate that money to people in need. :D

If she only know what Sony Walkmen cost these days...:evil:

I don't discuss price with friends. I did tell them the price of a USB cable I imported from Japan, never again. My wife and I have an agreement, it's old school but it works. We took the nod from the USA military and a "don't ask don't tell policy." We also have worked out light on off cues when listening and hand signals in communicating, but that's another story.:laughing:

Jun 5, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #10,586 of 18,776
And you shouldn't. The first time I did that (and that will also be the last time...) my girlfriend gave me a state-of-the-art bollocking and asked why I didn't donate that money to people in need. :D

If she only know what Sony Walkmen cost these days...:evil:

what's wrong with a bollocking from your girlfriend? oh wait, it doesn't mean what it sounds like. my bad.

Jun 5, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #10,587 of 18,776
what's wrong with a bollocking from your girlfriend? oh wait, it doesn't mean what it sounds like. my bad.

What does it sound like? Maybe there is a hidden message or insinuation that I fail to observe in my post? 
biggrin.gif

English is not my first language, but as far as I know the word "bollocking" has only one meaning.

I just looked it up. Apparently it also translates into "castration"...you don't want her to...? 
deadhorse.gif

Jun 7, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #10,588 of 18,776
On popular demand, some pics of my new Lawton. Sorry it's a week later than promised. 
Lots of reflections from the trees though. Hope you enjoy them anyway. :)

But first a pic of the Mun Ebony one which I put up for sale. This one is not recabled but has all the other Lawton mods.

And now the Marbled African Ebony one. This one is recabled.

Jun 7, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #10,589 of 18,776
On popular demand, some pics of my new Lawton. Sorry it's a week later than promised. 
Lots of reflections from the trees though. Hope you enjoy them anyway. :)

But first a pic of the Mun Ebony one which I put up for sale. This one is not recabled but has all the other Lawton mods.

And now the Marbled African Ebony one. This one is recabled.

Awesome looking cans. One day ill mod mine outside of just cable after i get a second pair. How do you find the black scorpian cable as i couldnt a/b mine except through memory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back