Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jun 7, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #10,591 of 18,776
Awesome looking cans. One day ill mod mine outside of just cable after i get a second pair. How do you find the black scorpian cable as i couldnt a/b mine except through memory.

Thanks! I know you like the TH-900 a lot and am convinced the Lawton will amaze you.

Well, I was pretty sceptic about recabling which is why I had 2 pairs with Lawton type 5 wood. 
That way I could compare apples to apples and sell of the recabled pair in case I wouldn't like the recabling.
That's what I thought would happen. Turned out the other way though, the pair with the stock cable is up for sale now.

Just like the mods are an eye-opener when you compare them to stock the cable made me shake my head and wonder how this guy does it.
You don't even need to A/B them, just like the mods the recabling is easily heard. Mark has experimented for years with the Denons before he started to sell the mods. When it comes to cables, he just about tried them all before deciding on the Jena Labs wire.

My impressions:
We all heard how better gear can let you hear more in your recording, or things you didn't even know that were there.
I've heard it all before so nothing new there but what the cable does is open up another layer of depth in the sound.
You can't just only hear the picking of the strings on a violin, bass or cello anymore, it's like you hear the reverb and flavor the wood gives to it.
Hard to describe. Very detailed sound, very revealing, lovely on medium to well recorded material but not forgiving on poorly recorded of course, the more detail you get out of a component (phones, amp, dac, etc ...) the less forgving it will be.

All in all, my LA-900 combined with the Zana is the best I've ever heard and I've heard quite a lot.
I'll be comparing my gear with some other gear that interests me or deserves a second try IMO beginning of August at HiFi Lounge UK and end of August at CanJam London. Gear that's on my mind and consideration list is in my profile.

I hope to soon be able to compare the type 5 I have now to the type 1 that should be arriving here in 3-4 weeks. I first ordered it without the cable but quickly added a cable to the order this week. Says enough I suppose.

Jun 7, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #10,595 of 18,776
Awesome looking cans. One day ill mod mine outside of just cable after i get a second pair. How do you find the black scorpian cable as i couldnt a/b mine except through memory.

Thanks! I know you like the TH-900 a lot and am convinced the Lawton will amaze you.

Well, I was pretty sceptic about recabling which is why I had 2 pairs with Lawton type 5 wood. 
That way I could compare apples to apples and sell of the recabled pair in case I wouldn't like the recabling.
That's what I thought would happen. Turned out the other way though, the pair with the stock cable is up for sale now.

Just like the mods are an eye-opener when you compare them to stock the cable made me shake my head and wonder how this guy does it.
You don't even need to A/B them, just like the mods the recabling is easily heard. Mark has experimented for years with the Denons before he started to sell the mods. When it comes to cables, he just about tried them all before deciding on the Jena Labs wire.

My impressions:
We all heard how better gear can let you hear more in your recording, or things you didn't even know that were there.
I've heard it all before so nothing new there but what the cable does is open up another layer of depth in the sound.
You can't just only hear the picking of the strings on a violin, bass or cello anymore, it's like you hear the reverb and flavor the wood gives to it.
Hard to describe. Very detailed sound, very revealing, lovely on medium to well recorded material but not forgiving on poorly recorded of course, the more detail you get out of a component (phones, amp, dac, etc ...) the less forgving it will be.

All in all, my LA-900 combined with the Zana is the best I've ever heard and I've heard quite a lot.
I'll be comparing my gear with some other gear that interests me or deserves a second try IMO beginning of August at HiFi Lounge UK and end of August at CanJam London. Gear that's on my mind and consideration list is in my profile.

I hope to soon be able to compare the type 5 I have now to the type 1 that should be arriving here in 3-4 weeks. I first ordered it without the cable but quickly added a cable to the order this week. Says enough I suppose.

Thanks for the comparison, i thought i heard better depth and clarity but after ten weeks it was difficult to say absolutly. I will eventually buy another th900 which i love. Complete the full mod on my black scorpian and really would like to recable the new pair with double helix compliment three copper silver type 4 litz. Till then like what i got anyway. :ok_hand:

Jun 7, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #10,597 of 18,776

The nice thing of having two pairs is actually having one pair to look at when you listen to the other.  
biggrin.gif

Damn these things look good!

Jun 7, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #10,600 of 18,776
but think of the money you'd save which you could put towards a totally different can or your music collection

Users who are viewing this thread

Back