Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Oct 3, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #1,936 of 18,776
The biocellulose drivers breaking down is theory at this point-  I guess it will some day as it has organic components but the drivers on 20 year old sets of R10's have held up admirably - I've seen it speculated that you have to worry more about other parts of the headphones (foam, damping, assembly, pads) breaking down long before the driver.

Oct 3, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #1,937 of 18,776
Quote:
I think MetalElvis meant the treble was uncomfortable not the headphones themselves... I ran my D7000s through tubes so the treble never really bothered me. The TH900s are very much like a excellent home theater system - everythings at its place, treble is smooth, mids are great, and the bass is excellent. So step up from the D7000s - yes definitely... gigantic step up? no not really, but once you pass the $500+ threshold $ and sound are no longer proportional - you get smaller increments of enjoyment for lots more $..

IMHO, the TH900s are absolutely a giant step up. They have much better ambiance, imaging, layering, depth, bass solidity, bass integration, liquid highs, natural detail, you name it. 
And I emphasize the word much in the above opinion. It's not even close. I need to sell my D7000s when I get around to it.

Oct 3, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #1,938 of 18,776
Quote:
IMHO, the TH900s are absolutely a giant step up. They have much better ambiance, imaging, layering, depth, bass solidity, bass integration, liquid highs, natural detail, you name it. 
And I emphasize the word much in the above opinion. It's not even close. I need to sell my D7000s when I get around to it.

Saw you pipe up in the 009 thread. Have you heard the 009?

Oct 3, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #1,939 of 18,776
Quote:

Saw you pipe up in the 009 thread. Have you heard the 009?

Apologies about jumping in here as I know your question is directed towards rgs9200m.

I have both the TH900 and the SR-009. IMHO the SR-009 is another giant leap forward. However at least in my mind, the two are also not necessarily comparable. Although for my hearing the SR-009 is more resolving and has greater soundstage, etc. the TH-900 also has a different signature such as a deeper bass. So I switch back 'n forth between the two depending on what I listen to.

My 2 yen worth.

Oct 3, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #1,940 of 18,776
Awesome reply. Thanks for the info, and for jumping in. Debating whether to sell TH900 to finance 009, but I'm inclined not to, as I want the variance. I love the bass of TH900, so I wouldn't want to give that up. I'll just have to save for longer.

Another giant leap forward? Oh my. 

Oct 3, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #1,941 of 18,776
I see you're on the other thread already about owning solely the SR-009 setup. I have only the SRM-727A amp of which I'm decently happy enough. Having said that I've not tried (nor would I be able to afford $$ and space) the larger 3rd party amps such as BHSE or LL. I've read that the SR-009 improves further with these expensive amps however, I don't know in what aspect. If these amps can truly improve the bass of the SR-009 to extend as deep as the TH-900s (which I doubt), then maybe one could live with just the SR-009 setup.

However, at least with my experience, I've yet to come across an amp that's able to change a headphone's signature such dramatically so I'm inclined to think that keeping the TH-900 (along-side to the SR-009) is the better choice. From a practical standpoint, it has also provided me flexibility to choose when to use open and when to used closed headphones.

Oct 3, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #1,942 of 18,776
Thanks AnakChan, you are confirming what I am already thinking. And with the SRM-727A the 009 is still a considerable leap up? I imagine I would start with something similar and perhaps move up later. Give me something to grow into. Hard to drop 5K on an amp that can only drive 'stats. 

The TH900 is a very fine headphone. And that bass, to me, is pure magic. I imagine it would still be my go-to for most electronic dance. But my experimental and classical music, which is my favorite stuff, I look forward to obtaining the 009 at some point. 

Oct 3, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #1,943 of 18,776
Quote:

First I'll just say it comes down to opinions.

I feel like the D7000 "leap" to the TH900 is the same feeling I got when going from the D2000 to the D7000s... very impressive but the signature was similar - its a natural step up to me since there is no other headphone that has the D7000s character while being better on every level.

To me a giant step up is going from Apple earbuds to D2000s or HD650s; not going from already excellent phones to better phones in the case of D7000s to TH900s. When head-fi'ers read something like "giant" they think the headphone being praised must be something unreal - then with heightened expectations they purchase a headphone that is superb but not quite audio experience noted in the thread. I like to try to keep things real and the only reason I mention this is because I've been one of those head-fi'ers before - reading overly exaggerated descriptions of  just how amazing or big of a step up a headphone was and being disappointed when I finally got my hands on them.

Note, I have sold my D7000s - I didn't see a point in keeping both as the TH900s are obviously better - how much better goes back to opinions but I like to keep praise to modest levels.

Oct 3, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #1,944 of 18,776
Quote:
Thanks AnakChan, you are confirming what I am already thinking. And with the SRM-727A the 009 is still a considerable leap up? I imagine I would start with something similar and perhaps move up later. Give me something to grow into. Hard to drop 5K on an amp that can only drive 'stats. 

The TH900 is a very fine headphone. And that bass, to me, is pure magic. I imagine it would still be my go-to for most electronic dance. But my experimental and classical music, which is my favorite stuff, I look forward to obtaining the 009 at some point. 

I also own the 009/SRM727II combo and comparing to my WA5-LE, Dark Star and all the other headphones in my collection (HD800, HE-6, D7000, DX1000, T1 W3000ANV) IMO yes, the 009/SRM727II combo is a considerable leap forward specially in detail, definition and soundstaging. They way the soundstage surround you is amazing.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Oct 3, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #1,945 of 18,776
I ment the D7000 are uncomfortable. The ear cups material does not feel nice to me and there´s no clamping at all, which make the headphones very loose in my head, just hanging in my head only with the headband which creates a hot spot on top of my head and the headband material isn´t softest. (My opinion Sennheiser has the best comfort, also Beyerdynamics are nice).

Also the D7000 treble is notoriously spiky and sibilant. I could maybe live with the uncomfortable design for short listening sessions, but the D7000 treble is a deal breaker.

But the TH900 still interests me. Please don´t tell me that they have similar kind of spiky treble than in the D7000?

Oct 3, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #1,946 of 18,776
Quote:
But the TH900 still interests me. Please don´t tell me that they have similar kind of spiky treble than in the D7000?

They don't have that spiky treble but comfort level between both is very similar. I suspect the TH900 will be uncomfortable if you already find the D7000 uncomfortable. They are more like LCD-2 and LCD-3 - same comfort level different phones.

Oct 3, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #1,947 of 18,776
anyone tried Jmoneypads on the 900? they fit?
popcorn.gif

Oct 3, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #1,949 of 18,776
Awesome reply. Thanks for the info, and for jumping in. Debating whether to sell TH900 to finance 009, but I'm inclined not to, as I want the variance. I love the bass of TH900, so I wouldn't want to give that up. I'll just have to save for longer.

Another giant leap forward? Oh my. 
I would NOT sell th900s for 009s or anything else. Upgrade amp, source, cables instead.

Oct 4, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #1,950 of 18,776
Quote:

Also the D7000 treble is notoriously spiky and sibilant.

Just curious-- compared to what? And what kind of amplification are you using? Just wondering if that might be partly responsible. For instance, as Ahzari mentioned, the Denons paired with some decent tube amplification, like the Woo WA6 or WA6 SE can be sweet. The treble becomes more 'sparkly' rather than 'spikey', IMO. More laid back and civilized/elegant, yet still fairly authoritative. Yes, SS amps can give the last word on slam and dynamics, but you can often pay a price for that in the top end, too.

I'm still surprised one might find the D7000's uncomfortable. They mostly disappear-- much more preferable than clamping, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back