Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Oct 4, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #1,951 of 18,776
If these amps can truly improve the bass of the SR-009 to extend as deep as the TH-900s (which I doubt), then maybe one could live with just the SR-009 setup.

Hey anakchan, I am seriously considering the sr-009, but was quickly put off by the lacking in bass from what I read around here. As I have not listen to one yet, how is the bass qty really like? Is it on par with say hd800 quantity? Or more to LCD-2 ? I hear the quality is superb, better than even the th900, just wonder about the qty.

Oct 4, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #1,952 of 18,776
Quote:
Hey anakchan, I am seriously considering the sr-009, but was quickly put off by the lacking in bass from what I read around here. As I have not listen to one yet, how is the bass qty really like? Is it on par with say hd800 quantity? Or more to LCD-2 ? I hear the quality is superb, better than even the th900, just wonder about the qty.

I listened to a pair on a Eddie Current Electra amp - bass was not lacking at all - it was actually some of the best I had experienced even a little more present than with the TH900s which have great bass. If some have mentioned the bass is lacking it must be amp/source dependent; as I've only demo'ed them on the EC I dont know how they would sound on a different amp, but lacking bass - they are not.

Oct 4, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #1,954 of 18,776
Quote:

The bass performance just fine in quality and quantity on the 009 with my stax 007t/ii amp, well integrated and natural and providing a fine foundation. 
Subjectively, I find the bass is a somewhat more evident and more nicely resonant on the 009s than on the Senn  HD800s.
The TH900s' bass has more impact, though, and the LCD3 bass goes a bit lower.
But I never listen to my 009s and say these are bass-light or not full or wimpy at all or lacking in any way. It is a very satisfying bass, nice and controlled and with lots of detail.
The bass on the 009s is much better than it was on my old Stax SR007 (Omega 1) phones.

Oct 4, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #1,955 of 18,776

Originally Posted by Ahzari /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I listened to a pair on a Eddie Current Electra amp - bass was not lacking at all - it was actually some of the best I had experienced even a little more present than with the TH900s which have great bass. If some have mentioned the bass is lacking it must be amp/source dependent; as I've only demo'ed them on the EC I dont know how they would sound on a different amp, but lacking bass - they are not.

Yes just to clarify my statement in the previous page. I mentioned that the TH-900 has a deeper bass, but that doesn't mean the SR--009 is bass-light, or has no bass at all. There's definitely a decent acceptable amount of quality bass in the SR-009 (and as such more than the HD800). But I believe the question is can the SR-009 driven with the right amp can "outperform" the TH-900's bass in depth, quality, & texture.

As such, the question I have for Ahzari is with the Eddie Current Electra, how would you describe the differences in bass of the SR-009 vs the TH-900 (and with which amp for the Fostex?) with regards to the 3 factors mentioned above and any other additional yet-to-be-mentioned points. Please don't take this question the wrong way, it's not a challenge but it's truly for my curiosity too.

Oct 4, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #1,956 of 18,776
Quote:

Yes just to clarify my statement in the previous page. I mentioned that the TH-900 has a deeper bass, but that doesn't mean the SR--009 is bass-light, or has no bass at all. There's definitely a decent acceptable amount of quality bass in the SR-009 (and as such more than the HD800). But I believe the question is can the SR-009 driven with the right amp can "outperform" the TH-900's bass in depth, quality, & texture.

As such, the question I have for Ahzari is with the Eddie Current Electra, how would you describe the differences in bass of the SR-009 vs the TH-900 (and with which amp for the Fostex?) with regards to the 3 factors mentioned above and any other additional yet-to-be-mentioned points. Please don't take this question the wrong way, it's not a challenge but it's truly for my curiosity too.

To be honest I cant give too much description on the Eddie Current Electra with the 009 as it was a few months ago and i spent little time with it - I just mentioned the combo because something specific I remember about it was the awesome bass; though a bit boomy.. Unfortunately besides saying I think both the TH900 and the 009s have excellent bass I can't say much. The amp I am using with my TH900s is the WA6SE with GE 6FD7s drivers and Sophia Princess 274B Rectifier (great combo to my ears). 

One note- since I demo'ed the EC Electra I believe some changes have been made to make it more balanced (less skewed towards the bass), the initial unit I was able to listen to was not the final product (but close to it).. If I were going to make a purchase though it would be either Eddie Current or Woo Audio with the 009s.

Oct 6, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #1,957 of 18,776
I'm really tempted to get my hands on a Fostex TH-900 but I don't think I'll be able to afford one any time soon. Probably wishful thinking here, but are there any headphones which are, say 80-90% of what the TH-900 is but significantly cheaper?

Oct 6, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #1,958 of 18,776
Quote:
I'm really tempted to get my hands on a Fostex TH-900 but I don't think I'll be able to afford one any time soon. Probably wishful thinking here, but are there any headphones which are, say 80-90% of what the TH-900 is but significantly cheaper?

Denon AH-D7000 or ATH-W3000ANV, maybe?

Oct 6, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #1,959 of 18,776

Denon d7000 and signature pro. Denon sound closer. Sig pro sound close but mid more forward.

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #1,960 of 18,776
Quote:
Denon d7000 and signature pro. Denon sound closer. Sig pro sound close but mid more forward.

+1, id you can get your hands on a D7000.. none of the major retailers I know of have any left in stock, will likely have to buy used.

Oct 7, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #1,961 of 18,776
The W3000ANV sounds nothing like the TH900.

Avoid the D7100 at all costs. IMO it is a sonic atrocity.

The D7000 and Signature Pro are closer as others have mentioned. The former falls short of the TH900 in terms of its overall tonal balance, whereas the latter falls short in terms of its spatial abilities (imagining, separation) and overall refinement.

Apparently Denon released an updated version of the D7000 just prior to its discontinuation which is said to be a marked improvement over the earlier models. Also, you may want to consider looking for a used pair of Lawton Audio modded Denons if they're being sold for a reasonable price. These mods tend to add refinement to the Denons by taming enclosure interference and smoothing out the FR a bit.

Oct 7, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #1,962 of 18,776
MF, after reading your lengthy impressions (thanks for sharing BTW), it seems to me you prefer the TH900 over the W3000ANV. But, do you feel they are technically superior headphones, or do you just happen to enjoy one's signature more because of preference?

Oct 7, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #1,963 of 18,776
Quote:
MF, after reading your lengthy impressions (thanks for sharing BTW), it seems to me you prefer the TH900 over the W3000ANV. But, do you feel they are technically superior headphones, or do you just happen to enjoy one's signature more because of preference?

Just my two cents, they are very differently voiced and neither is really technically better than the other. But my preference is strongly for the W3000ANVs. I guess I got sick of the rich D7000 sound which the TH-900s share a family resemblance with (though hit all notes much better than the D7000s ever did). The vocals on the W3000ANVs are a thing to behold. Listening to them right now and the Waillin' Jennys and loving what I'm hearing.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the TH-900s and if they isolated better than the D7000s (which is to say they don't isolate), I'd be very tempted to pick up a pair if I didn't have an incoming SR009/SR727II arriving next month.

Oct 7, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #1,964 of 18,776
Quote:
Just my two cents, they are very differently voiced and neither is really technically better than the other. But my preference is strongly for the W3000ANVs. I guess I got sick of the rich D7000 sound which the TH-900s share a family resemblance with (though hit all notes much better than the D7000s ever did). The vocals on the W3000ANVs are a thing to behold. Listening to them right now and the Waillin' Jennys and loving what I'm hearing.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the TH-900s and if they isolated better than the D7000s (which is to say they don't isolate), I'd be very tempted to pick up a pair if I didn't have an incoming SR009/SR727II arriving next month.

Very interesting. Thanks for the insight Peter. Where did you try these out? I'm wondering if there's a store where I can get my hands on the ATs as well. I can't decide between the two.

Oct 8, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #1,965 of 18,776
bay bloor audio in toronto has denon ah-d7000 brand new still in stock. i was there 3 weeks ago when i bought a pair of grado gs1000i wich are the worst cans at that price i have ever bought. they sells those d7000 699,99. first pair of grados and last pair of grados ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back