Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Oct 10, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #1,982 of 18,776
What Amp will suit TH900 most? 
jecklinsmile.gif

Oct 10, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #1,983 of 18,776
Quote:
What Amp will suit TH900 most? 
jecklinsmile.gif

Since TH900 is low impedance (25 ohms) and high sensitivity, look for an amp with low output impedance. Most solid state or hybrid amps have low output impedance compared to tube amps. If you really want tube sound, definitely avoid OTL amps and go for low output impedance tube amps like Eddie Current's Zana Deux SE or Super 7, or Yamamoto Soundcraft HA-02. For fairly-priced and decent hybrid amps, there are Schiit Lyr (although I think its high power output is overkill for such sensitive headphones), Red Wine Corvina or Apex Peak/Volcano. For solid-state amps I enjoyed TH900 with Sugden Masterclass HA-4, Luxman P-1u, and Burson Soloist - the last of which I personally own.

Oct 10, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #1,984 of 18,776
Quote:

Since TH900 is low impedance (25 ohms) and high sensitivity, look for an amp with low output impedance. Most solid state or hybrid amps have low output impedance compared to tube amps. If you really want tube sound, definitely avoid OTL amps and go for low output impedance tube amps like Eddie Current's Zana Deux SE or Super 7, or Yamamoto Soundcraft HA-02. For fairly-priced and decent hybrid amps, there are Schiit Lyr (although I think its high power output is overkill for such sensitive headphones), Red Wine Corvina or Apex Peak/Volcano. For solid-state amps I enjoyed TH900 with Sugden Masterclass HA-4, Luxman P-1u, and Burson Soloist - the last of which I personally own.

Add Woo Audio WA6 / WA6SE / WA5LE to list of options for low output imp headphone amps.. all of which have low and high output settings that range from 8-600 ohms.

Oct 10, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #1,985 of 18,776
Quote:

Honestly it's pretty hard to say, as both are so different as others have noted. I'd characterize it like this:

The TH900 excels over the W3000ANV in terms of spatial reproduction (imaging, separation, etc.). It has a definite U-shaped coloration, but it's been refined to the point where it sounds great with a wide variety of genres IMHO. Still, not everyone wants a U-shape all the time. Fortunately, those who feel the bass is too emphasized on some tracks can adjust it with EQ easily, as the bass is very clean. Unfortunately, the midrange suckout isn't as easily fixable to my ears, and if one is particularly sensitive to this, then it doesn't matter how refined the TH900 is in other areas. Still, I'd say overall the TH900 is fairly adaptable and more versatile in that it varies more on a track by track basis.

The W3000ANV on the other hand is going to impart more of its unique presence on one's music. Its most apparent coloration is timbrel, the [in]famous Audio-Technica mids. This isn't really something you can EQ away if you don't like. However those who do like it are treated to an experience quite unlike anything any other flagship headphone currently on the market can give. Compared to the TH900, the midrange presentation is better. Its bass has plenty of impact and is tight, textured, and well-controlled (sounds rather lewd... : \ ), but I feel the TH900 trumps it there hands down. I think the TH900 is more refined up top as well. Overall, I think the TH900 is more consistently ahead of the W3000ANV with respect to a wider array of criteria, but the W3000ANV does somethings better and in some respects provides an experience you can't find anywhere else. For better or worse.

So as much as it may sound like a copout, it's really something that depends on one's priorities. For me, the TH900 is the better headphone. I love both however.

OK great info. This is the response I expected to see. Thanks MF.

Oct 12, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #1,987 of 18,776
Hmm TH-600.  Same as the 900 sans Japanese laquer?  Interesing development.

Oct 12, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #1,989 of 18,776
Quote:
I heard from my local shop that this one will release around next feb around 1k2

I wonder if the specs will be the same.

Edit : To answer my own question, most likely specs will be different.  Very unlikely that besides the obvious cup diffs I cant see Fostex taking any limelight from their current statement hp (TH-900)

Perhaps along the same idea as the Sig Pro / Sig DJ variance.

Oct 12, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #1,990 of 18,776
Quote:

I own both W3000ANV and TH900, and I enjoy both of them very much. IMO the TH900 has superior imaging, clarity, and very importantly bass texture, but only when you have a high end source like Weiss or Zodiac Gold.
With other souces that I had like the iBasso DX100 or W4S DAC2 etc.., I sometimes preferred the W3000ANV over TH900 as the treble of TH900 may sound harsh and the superiority I mentioned above isn't that obvious.
The two phones does have very different signature, the W3000anv has warmer and more forwarded mids.

BTW, this is my first time actually joined a headphone discussion, I spent on average one hour a day on headfi reading posts but never talk.

I have both the W3000ANV and TH900 phones also, and I agree both are great, with the W3000ANV's super smooth just-liquid-enough mids/vocals, very sweet highs, and solid well integrated bass that doesn't call attention to itself but
provides a firm foundation. The W3000ANVs are more relaxing than the TH900s, and sometimes exactly what I want to hear. I once had the ATH-W5000s and found them weird and squirmy with a sharp upper midrange (and quickly sold them)
and was therefore surprised how much I liked the W3000ANVs, and I feel they are a bargain, because to me they are right up there with the TH900s in their ability to satisfy, and they are phones that are sure keepers for me.
I love phones with a balanced even signature top to bottom with addictive vocals and no spikes at any frequency, and the W3000s fill the bill in all these areas.

I think I agree with MuppetFace a lot these days.

Oct 13, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #1,991 of 18,776
Quote:

Honestly it's pretty hard to say, as both are so different as others have noted. I'd characterize it like this:

The TH900 excels over the W3000ANV in terms of spatial reproduction (imaging, separation, etc.). It has a definite U-shaped coloration, but it's been refined to the point where it sounds great with a wide variety of genres IMHO. Still, not everyone wants a U-shape all the time. Fortunately, those who feel the bass is too emphasized on some tracks can adjust it with EQ easily, as the bass is very clean. Unfortunately, the midrange suckout isn't as easily fixable to my ears, and if one is particularly sensitive to this, then it doesn't matter how refined the TH900 is in other areas. Still, I'd say overall the TH900 is fairly adaptable and more versatile in that it varies more on a track by track basis.

The W3000ANV on the other hand is going to impart more of its unique presence on one's music. Its most apparent coloration is timbrel, the [in]famous Audio-Technica mids. This isn't really something you can EQ away if you don't like. However those who do like it are treated to an experience quite unlike anything any other flagship headphone currently on the market can give. Compared to the TH900, the midrange presentation is better. Its bass has plenty of impact and is tight, textured, and well-controlled (sounds rather lewd... : \ ), but I feel the TH900 trumps it there hands down. I think the TH900 is more refined up top as well. Overall, I think the TH900 is more consistently ahead of the W3000ANV with respect to a wider array of criteria, but the W3000ANV does somethings better and in some respects provides an experience you can't find anywhere else. For better or worse.

So as much as it may sound like a copout, it's really something that depends on one's priorities. For me, the TH900 is the better headphone. I love both however.

I agree and would add that the TH900 sounds more dynamic, if that makes sense.

Oct 13, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #1,992 of 18,776
Quote:
535944_447373245299659_154146440_n.jpg

In this pictures, Fostex TH600 & TH900. 
Pick it up from Facebook.

Is that a Fostex headphone stand? I love my TH900, but not the headphone stand that came with it because it was too weak and wobbly. Are those headphone stands for sale too? I would like to know where I can buy one, and for how much.

Oct 13, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #1,993 of 18,776
Would my DACport (1 ohm output impedance) probably be enough for a TH-900? I want to get the headphones, but the budget is tight (which means spending as little as possible). No way I can see myself spending over 2k which it would probably be if I wanted to upgrade other components in my chain.

Scratch that for the moment.. Truly can't afford these at the moment unfortunately.

Oct 13, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #1,994 of 18,776
I visited the Fostex booth at the RMAF. If I understood correctly, the TH600 will have three changes relative to the TH900: Magnesium cups, new 1 Tesla motor (but same diaphragm), and a 5N copper cable. Voicing of the preview TH600 was said to be unfinalized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back