Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jul 14, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #15,211 of 18,761
I was sort of hesitant to do the cord change as I have no experience in this area, but really did not like the piercing high end and just decided to do it. The bass is definitely tighter and more defined--I am happy so far--just unboxed them an hour ago.
I was told the Black Dragon was a better fit for me as I really wanted the high end tamped down. I am curious about the Silver Dragon--
If you do the Black Dragon cord--would love to hear your impressions of the Black versus Silver cords on the TH 900.
That's cool you have 2 sets to be able to compare.
I also have the TH 610--which I like very much but the 900 is a few steps up in sound quality---I love these headphones!
The silver dragon also softens the treble but it puses the focus on details, open sound, mids , then treble. Bass is still there but slightly smaller and tighter. Im a audiophile basshead and I like the Silver Dragon. I also added a Lawton cable onto my third th900 which is five times thicker than the silver dragon.
20170712_105134.jpg

Jul 14, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #15,212 of 18,761
Congratulations man! :D

I felt the same kind of change when upgrading my amp + dac - I think the potential is there for TH 900 to be a *perfect* reference can - it is almost there for me right now, however there are still some coloration (which I enjoy, personally).

I just purchased a Little Dot MK III from Massdrop--due early August. I am looking forward to hearing what this amp can do for the 900's.
I have a chord Mojo, Fostex HP V1, Cayin C5, FiiO A5--
My Players are---AK 120 II, Cayin I5, Bit Opus 1, Fiio X5 3rd gen---
Crazy fun hobby but super expensive as your ear develops and you just have to buy serious equipment.
I really am not knowledgeable when it comes to the home amp market--I want something really good but do not want to spend thousands more! Ungh-----

Jul 14, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #15,213 of 18,761
The silver dragon also softens the treble but it puses the focus on details, open sound, mids , then treble. Bass is still there but slightly smaller and tighter. Im a audiophile basshead and I like the Silver Dragon. I also added a Lawton cable onto my third th900 which is five times thicker than the silver dragon.

That's crazy! in a good way. 3 sets! I am "new' to the high end equipment, always have been a HUGE music collector and fan. I went crazy the past 6 months and spent $ 12,000 on equipment--constantly buying, listening, selling, upgrading...
I think I am finally happy with my 4 headphones and 4 iems--4 music players and 4 amps---( what the hell is the matter with me??)
I do realize the next step is amplification--at least for home--happy with my portables.
Cord upgrades is another area that I am unfamiliar with---but obviously it is super important.

Jul 14, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #15,215 of 18,761
That's crazy! in a good way. 3 sets! I am "new' to the high end equipment, always have been a HUGE music collector and fan. I went crazy the past 6 months and spent $ 12,000 on equipment--constantly buying, listening, selling, upgrading...
I think I am finally happy with my 4 headphones and 4 iems--4 music players and 4 amps---( what the hell is the matter with me??)
I do realize the next step is amplification--at least for home--happy with my portables.
Cord upgrades is another area that I am unfamiliar with---but obviously it is super important.

I stumbled upon this community 6 months ago.... My IEMs broke and I needed new ones... Bought the XBA H3, then started reading on head fi - got temped to buy something for home as well (had the m50s which I bought in 2011 at home) - got the Fidelio X2s... Kept reading.. Had to get D5K.. Then I had to get the TH 900 and a high end DACAMP as well.. I've spent way too much on this hobby already.. I might be buying a JVC Victor HP-DX1000 as well.. I mean what can I say.. Its expensive but it gives me oh so much joy.. Right now I'm enjoying some good beer, listenting to my favorite music and it just feels so good.. I've done a lot of other stuff.. I train BJJ, judo, wrestling.. Its the perfect compliment to that lifestyle.. NOTHING beats sitting down having a beer, listenting to awesome music through HiFi cans and reading / chatting with you guys on here.

Damnit I'm gonna cry :')

Jul 14, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #15,216 of 18,761
I stumbled upon this community 6 months ago.... My IEMs broke and I needed new ones... Bought the XBA H3, then started reading on head fi - got temped to buy something for home as well (had the m50s which I bought in 2011 at home) - got the Fidelio X2s... Kept reading.. Had to get D5K.. Then I had to get the TH 900 and a high end DACAMP as well.. I've spent way too much on this hobby already.. I might be buying a JVC Victor HP-DX1000 as well.. I mean what can I say.. Its expensive but it gives me oh so much joy.. Right now I'm enjoying some good beer, listenting to my favorite music and it just feels so good.. I've done a lot of other stuff.. I train BJJ, judo, wrestling.. Its the perfect compliment to that lifestyle.. NOTHING beats sitting down having a beer, listenting to awesome music through HiFi cans and reading / chatting with you guys on here.

Damnit I'm gonna cry :')
Music is my JOY and passion---I enjoy it sooo much--do not mind spending my hard earned money on it, Ihave a $ 5,000 stereo in my truck--a/d/s amp. McIntosh speakers, subwoofer, ect... killer sound. I actually listen to most of my equipment at the gym working out---most people have their crappy iphones and stock headphones or Beats---hahhaahah
I have my AK 120II into the Mojo listening to my Kaiser Encores--a $ 3,500 set up, or Cain I5/C5 into the Angies, ect...many combos all mind blowing quality.
I usually am bopping around just grooving on some incredible music---
people always walk up to me and are asking " what are u listening to?"--they have no idea about serious high quality audio and the pure joy and happiness it brings---

It's great to have this passion and hobby and to be able to get advice from fellow audiophiles--I definitely have been fortunate to read the info on this board and make excellent purchases--
Enjoy your music and equipment!! Glad to HEAR it------

Jul 14, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #15,217 of 18,761
Music is my JOY and passion---I enjoy it sooo much--do not mind spending my hard earned money on it, Ihave a $ 5,000 stereo in my truck--a/d/s amp. McIntosh speakers, subwoofer, ect... killer sound. I actually listen to most of my equipment at the gym working out---most people have their crappy iphones and stock headphones or Beats---hahhaahah
I have my AK 120II into the Mojo listening to my Kaiser Encores--a $ 3,500 set up, or Cain I5/C5 into the Angies, ect...many combos all mind blowing quality.
I usually am bopping around just grooving on some incredible music---
people always walk up to me and are asking " what are u listening to?"--they have no idea about serious high quality audio and the pure joy and happiness it brings---

It's great to have this passion and hobby and to be able to get advice from fellow audiophiles--I definitely have been fortunate to read the info on this board and make excellent purchases--
Enjoy your music and equipment!! Glad to HEAR it------

Hahahahaha, I imagine bumping into someone like you at the weight room - but that would never ever happen. The most costly portable setup I've seen "in the streets" are like dragonfly + sennheiser momentums or something LOL. Gotta feel great with such a portable set up though, I am definitely admiring :D

Jul 14, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #15,218 of 18,761
\most people have their crappy iphones and stock headphones or Beats---hahhaahah
I have my AK 120II into the Mojo listening to my Kaiser Encores--a $ 3,500 set up, or Cain I5/C5 into the Angies, ect...\

WOW! How do you listen to the stack while working out? Personally, I like to get the cord out of the way when working out so I prefer cordless earbud or iem.

Jul 14, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #15,219 of 18,761
WOW! How do you listen to the stack while working out? Personally, I like to get the cord out of the way when working out so I prefer cordless earbud or iem.
Portable stack. Sony dap, amp, tube amp, Hugo.
20170612_171149.jpg

Jul 14, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #15,220 of 18,761
Hahahahaha, I imagine bumping into someone like you at the weight room - but that would never ever happen. The most costly portable setup I've seen "in the streets" are like dragonfly + sennheiser momentums or something LOL. Gotta feel great with such a portable set up though, I am definitely admiring :D

It's kind of funny being such a freak--lol, only you guys on this board can understand. most people have no clue----it's nice to be able to talk with fellow audiophiles.
I would recommend the Cayin I 5 for a portable player--if u are ever looking that is. It has GREAT sound and super high output--do not need an external amp when using with IEM's or really headphones, but I like the extra power--
It really is a great time to be in the music equipment market these days--the technology has come SO far---its mind blowing.
I have had $ 10,000 home systems--and I can honestly say I enjoy my $ 400 Cayin i5 and Audeze Isine 20's-$ 500 just as much!
Wonder what new and mind blowing equipment is around the corner? It never ends and just keep getting better and better---

Jul 14, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #15,222 of 18,761

I guess I have just gotten used to it. I usually listen to my full size headphones at the gym while doing weights and switch to IEM's when doing cardio. for some reason the movement when doing weights make iem listening a pain. I usually spend more time adjusting the earbuds--the seal keeps changing and moving. I usually listen to iem's at home more than full size--but do rotate and am constantly changing and experimenting with different combos.
I guess it just comes down to the pure enjoyment of the music/equipment versus the convenience or ease of use--I am definitely a an audio super freak! lol

Jul 14, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #15,223 of 18,761
Portable stack. Sony dap, amp, tube amp, Hugo.

Yeah I know but it's kinda hard to carry those stack while working out :sweat_smile:

I guess I have just gotten used to it. I usually listen to my full size headphones at the gym while doing weights and switch to IEM's when doing cardio. for some reason the movement when doing weights make iem listening a pain. I usually spend more time adjusting the earbuds--the seal keeps changing and moving. I usually listen to iem's at home more than full size--but do rotate and am constantly changing and experimenting with different combos.
I guess it just comes down to the pure enjoyment of the music/equipment versus the convenience or ease of use--I am definitely a an audio super freak! lol

Good for you :L3000:

I cant even workout with cord all over my body I guess.

Jul 16, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #15,224 of 18,761
Fostex put on a dummy prototype of a TH-XXX open back style. This doesn't work and is merely an exhibit to gauge feedback from attendees of the e-earphone Portable festival this weekend in Tokyo. I didn't have any concerns with the looks but mentioned sound is (naturally) priority. Further, being an open back using outside is probably not a focus - cos with my TH-900 I could at least use it in a coffee shop, but with these it's probably more a home use.

Snapseed.jpg

Jul 16, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #15,225 of 18,761
Fostex put on a dummy prototype of a TH-XXX open back style. This doesn't work and is merely an exhibit to gauge feedback from attendees of the e-earphone Portable festival this weekend in Tokyo. I didn't have any concerns with the looks but mentioned sound is (naturally) priority. Further, being an open back using outside is probably not a focus - cos with my TH-900 I could at least use it in a coffee shop, but with these it's probably more a home use.

that's the most beautiful cup i have ever seen for a retail headphone ,, i which they make it real ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back