Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jul 18, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #15,241 of 18,761
Andrea, says I need to have an account with them. Like I need to be a company that deals with them?

Jul 18, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #15,242 of 18,761
Guys, do you believe in DAC burn in?

My Hegel HD 12, which is a dacamp from Norway priced at around 1200$ was touted as a very neutral dac, but the guy at the store told me it had 100 hour burn in time. I was kinda like yeah ok sure bro, didn't think too much about it.. But now, almost 2 weeks later and I swear the sound has changed.

This dac from the get go sounded a tad bit more neutral than when I heard the TH 900 through a magni and dragonfly red as a dac. That setup was more V-shaped, with much stronger bass but also harsher highs. The HD 12 right out of the box was certaintly much more neutral, with a lighter bass impact and less piercing highs - but now, 2 weeks later.. It seems the bass is a tad bit less in quantity than before, the highs even slightly less prominent, and mids seems a bit more forward. I have started to hear even more details in some tracks.

Now what I'm wondering is, if DAC burn in is actually a thing, or if this is simply me getting used to the bass, the forward highs and making sense of all the information? The changes are really quite drastic.

it's a matter of opinion and belief. so the answer to your question depends on who you ask. your brain's remarkably adaptable tho. :wink:

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #15,243 of 18,761
Guys, do you believe in DAC burn in?

My Hegel HD 12, which is a dacamp from Norway priced at around 1200$ was touted as a very neutral dac, but the guy at the store told me it had 100 hour burn in time. I was kinda like yeah ok sure bro, didn't think too much about it.. But now, almost 2 weeks later and I swear the sound has changed.

This dac from the get go sounded a tad bit more neutral than when I heard the TH 900 through a magni and dragonfly red as a dac. That setup was more V-shaped, with much stronger bass but also harsher highs. The HD 12 right out of the box was certaintly much more neutral, with a lighter bass impact and less piercing highs - but now, 2 weeks later.. It seems the bass is a tad bit less in quantity than before, the highs even slightly less prominent, and mids seems a bit more forward. I have started to hear even more details in some tracks.

Now what I'm wondering is, if DAC burn in is actually a thing, or if this is simply me getting used to the bass, the forward highs and making sense of all the information? The changes are really quite drastic.
For me : Headphone burn-in>Brain burn-in>Amp burn-in>Worm up>Relaxed mind
this is how i see the most effect on sound from my short humble experience ,,

When i try new headphone i do 100hr burn-in , with my burn-in amp which i use it only for burn-in ,
then i listen to new music i never heard before for few sessions (bandcamp.com) so that i don't prejudge the headphone prematurely
then i use it normally.

Here is a very nice interview with John Franks from chord company explain Brain burn-in a simple way
skip to minute 40:40

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #15,244 of 18,761
Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #15,245 of 18,761
I dont know your dac but the r2r boys,schiit, say they need 250 plus hours.
Chord and us fpga taps guys say meh, no burn in and dont be scared to turn off your dac, so
Im testing susvara this weekend and they are going to burn it in for my tests, so
I guess the answer is it depends
you will test the susvara with GSX MK2 ?
some say it is very bright headphone , maybe it will not be the best pair ?

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #15,246 of 18,761
you will test the susvara with GSX MK2 ?
some say it is very bright headphone , maybe it will not match your amp very well ?

Susvara is actually warm and everything matches well with chord tt and gsx mk2, as long as you have quality source and enjoy transparency. But of course will know more after the week of testing

Jul 18, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #15,247 of 18,761
Susvara is actually warm and everything matches well with chord tt and gsx mk2, as long as you have quality source and enjoy transparency. But of course will know more after the week of testing
hmmm , i got my info from here

i see .. than cant wait for your review ...

thanks

Jul 18, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #15,248 of 18,761
I swapped my TH 900 pads for my Denon AH-D5000 pads just for funsies. Not sure if I notice a difference.. I'd say maybe a bit less aggressive highs, but.. hmm. I really don't like messing with the stock product. Anyone done this, what findings did you have?

EDIT:

swapped them back, and noticed I have torn off some of the outer layer on the stock TH 900 pads. God F"#% damnit, why did I do this stupid $h1t

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #15,249 of 18,761
Contacted Jose at Full Compass......no luck!!!
Contact Andrea. Maybe the part number has changed

Note, when I first contacted jose, he said they were discontinued. I then contacted Andrea and magically jose discovered they were not discontinued. This was March 2017.

I would ask jose to double check, and you were told by fostex the part is not discontinued (lie). See what happens.

If that doesn't work, try fostex support. That is how I got in touch with Andrea and then jose.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 4:54 AM Post #15,250 of 18,761
A collection of bass.
20170719_113457.jpg

Jul 19, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #15,251 of 18,761
I've owned three of those models. By the way, how loose would you say the single swivel screw is on the TH-900's? I can't tighten mine any more but it seems to still have some give.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 5:03 AM Post #15,252 of 18,761
I've owned three of those models. By the way, how loose would you say the single swivel screw is on the TH-900's? I can't tighten mine any more but it seems to still have some give.
ocd? Its suppose to be able to move.

Jul 19, 2017 at 5:16 AM Post #15,254 of 18,761
Not OCD but PTSD from my D2000 falling apart while walking with them in the street.
Im walking 1 hr a day plus 2 hrs on train and buses with the th900 on and no issues. I bought five so I can rotate them cause I sweat buckets everyday. When I get home the pads are soaked.

Jul 19, 2017 at 5:18 AM Post #15,255 of 18,761
I only use my TH-900 mk2 at home. My D7100 is what I use on the go. Still, I remember what a nightmare that screw was on my D2000. Which pads do you prefer for the TH-900 by the way? I see you have a few different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back