Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jul 11, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #15,196 of 18,761
Hi, I need help choosing a second pair of headphones.
I own a pair of TH900MKII and they sound amazing.
I need to purchase a second pair that sound like them (well, close to them, you know what I mean)
Something cheap, around $300, maybe a little more or less to bring to work.
Could be earphones or on ear.
I tried B&W but they sound too dark for me.
Shure in ear also sound very flat to me.
I like how much high and bass the Fostex give me.
Is there anything around that price I could get?
In the past I had Grados Rs1e and 325s but they kind of bright to me.

I prefer wired and closed.

Thanks.

Used Denon D2000 or as noted a used TH600..............

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #15,197 of 18,761
Thx for the replies as far as music genres goes.. I've had my TH 900 with a good dacamp for many days now.. Its hard to fault them really, I am sure I am in the "honeymoon phase" right now, but after being initially unimpressed I feel they really do every genre fantastic. Interestingly enough, while they do EDM, dubstep and bass music really REALLY well, I'd say I am more "mind blown" in other genres, like classical, opera, rock, ambient, metal etc etc.. Just really seems like incredibly natural and fun headphones. I tried using my D5Ks again yesterday and while its bass impact might be preferable for certain tracks where its bleeding bass might be more satisfying for true bassheads, the TH 900 always does things perfectly to my ears. Never too much, never too little.

Jul 11, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #15,198 of 18,761
there is something "organic" and lively about the th900's presentation to my ears. it also has exceptional clarity and doesn't sound damped or closed-in, like other closed-back cans that i've tried.

Jul 11, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #15,199 of 18,761
there is something "organic" and lively about the th900's presentation to my ears. it also has exceptional clarity and doesn't sound damped or closed-in, like other closed-back cans that i've tried.
So true.

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #15,200 of 18,761

One of the things I noticed, and I am sure the pads have somethng to do with this as well.. The TH 900 really sounds like a window into another dimention in that its wide soundstage and impactful bass makes it feel as if you are really there. Like especially kick drums and percussion is just incredible.

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #15,201 of 18,761
TH900s
20170712_105108.jpg
20170712_105134.jpg

Jul 12, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #15,202 of 18,761
One of the things I noticed, and I am sure the pads have somethng to do with this as well.. The TH 900 really sounds like a window into another dimention in that its wide soundstage and impactful bass makes it feel as if you are really there. Like especially kick drums and percussion is just incredible.

agreed. drums, percussion and acoustic bass sound fantastic out of the th900 imo. :)

Jul 13, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #15,204 of 18,761
Jul 14, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #15,205 of 18,761
Just got my Fostex TH 900 back from Moon Audio with the Black Dragon upgrade cord--WOW, what a HUGE difference. The bass is tighter and punchier, mids fuller and more present, the high end is smoothed out and not as piercing and annoying.
I am completely blown away---incredible difference---so happy with this modification--a serious upgrade!

Jul 14, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #15,206 of 18,761
Just got my Fostex TH 900 back from Moon Audio with the Black Dragon upgrade cord--WOW, what a HUGE difference. The bass is tighter and punchier, mids fuller and more present, the high end is smoothed out and not as piercing and annoying.
I am completely blown away---incredible difference---so happy with this modification--a serious upgrade!
Nice, I have the Silver Dragon and now plan to get my other th900 the black dragon mod.

Jul 14, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #15,207 of 18,761

Congratulations man! :D

I felt the same kind of change when upgrading my amp + dac - I think the potential is there for TH 900 to be a *perfect* reference can - it is almost there for me right now, however there are still some coloration (which I enjoy, personally).

Jul 14, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #15,208 of 18,761
I was sort of hesitant to do the cord change as I have no experience in this area, but really did not like the piercing high end and just decided to do it. The bass is definitely tighter and more defined--I am happy so far--just unboxed them an hour ago.
I was told the Black Dragon was a better fit for me as I really wanted the high end tamped down. I am curious about the Silver Dragon--
If you do the Black Dragon cord--would love to hear your impressions of the Black versus Silver cords on the TH 900.
That's cool you have 2 sets to be able to compare.
I also have the TH 610--which I like very much but the 900 is a few steps up in sound quality---I love these headphones!

Jul 14, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #15,209 of 18,761
I like the TH 900 best of all my headphones, more than ever with the upgrade cord. I also own the TH 610, AKG K812, Shure 1540==
IEM's--Noble Encore, Audeze I 20, AK-J Harvey Angie.....waiting for T8iE MkII.
The Fostex TH 900 are my very favorites---such a full rich sound--love them.

Jul 14, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #15,210 of 18,761
I like the TH 900 best of all my headphones, more than ever with the upgrade cord. I also own the TH 610, AKG K812, Shure 1540==
IEM's--Noble Encore, Audeze I 20, AK-J Harvey Angie.....waiting for T8iE MkII.
The Fostex TH 900 are my very favorites---such a full rich sound--love them.

Yep.. I went for the TH 900 as my TOTL cans, coming from Fidelio X2 and Denon AH-D5000. Interestingly enough, I didn't know exactly what I expected.. But I was disappointed at first listen. After a couple of days of burn in (or brain burn in?) and an upgrade in clean amplification with a high level DAC, I realized that these headphones are essentially perfect. I want to purchase one pair of headphones just for forward mids - but I could definitely live happily ever after with the TH 900. My biggest worries was the highs, and while they are somewhat bright / intense, they don't bother me (no listening fatigue) any more, and I simply view it as a character of the headphone.

What surprised me the most about the TH 900 was the bass. Everyone called it a bass monster, but I didn't understand just exactly how refined it was. I thought it was very colored, but its speed, slam and tightness makes them incredibly balanced imo. Some intelligent user told me earlier in this thread that the TH 900 reacts ot small changes in setups, and that has definitely been my experience. Neutral, clean amping give you a reference level headphone - worse pairings give you a great can but much more coloration IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back