Mar 5, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #436 of 3,438
Quote:
Sexy setup!! Yowza!!! 
size]

Quote:

That is one beautiful setup!

Holy!!!
Agree!
I think this is definitely one of the best looking tube amps I've seen (minimalist and from what I've read, it does the job well!)

Mar 5, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #438 of 3,438
Quote:
BTW, just when I thought the TH-600 couldn't get any better. Tell ya what, this amp isn't even really warmed up yet and it's making me think I need to re-evaluate my impressions of the TH-600!!

Wow, every time I see this amp.. I get that itch. I love Jack's products, the quality is always top notch.. and don't even get me started about the sound. Impressions of this combo have me very intrigued. I have the TH-900, but I'm looking for an alternative to the LG and WA2, for a home office rig.

Mar 5, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #439 of 3,438
How do the Fostex compare to the Denon D2000?

Sorry. Don't know. Don't have access to any of the old Denons. But if you look back a page or two, MuppetFace gave a brief comparison against her Denon D7000.

Wow, every time I see this amp.. I get that itch. I love Jack's products, the quality is always top notch.. and don't even get me started about the sound. Impressions of this combo have me very intrigued. I have the TH-900, but I'm looking for an alternative to the LG and WA2, for a home office rig.

This evening I feel I've never really heard my Fostex to its best. I've only had the Benchmark DAC1 Pre, the Accuphase E-407, & the HP-A8 as the default (which was afterall designed together with the TH-900).

Even my TH-600 review was done with the HP-A8.

Now after this WA7, I'm opening my options more seriously. My wife who knows little about audio except to help me test actually suggested me to buy this WA7 & sell my old DAC/Amp! That's a first ever she's encouraged me on "upgrading" my audio components!!

I honestly feel I need to revisit my TH-600 review with this WA7 instead.

Mar 5, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #440 of 3,438
Quote:
Sorry. Don't know. Don't have access to any of the old Denons. But if you look back a page or two, MuppetFace gave a brief comparison against her Denon D7000.
This evening I feel I've never really heard my Fostex to its best. I've only had the Benchmark DAC1 Pre, the Accuphase E-407, & the HP-A8 as the default (which was afterall designed together with the TH-900).

Even my TH-600 review was done with the HP-A8.

Now after this WA7, I'm opening my options more seriously. My wife who knows little about audio except to help me test actually suggested me to buy this WA7 & sell my old DAC/Amp! That's a first ever she's encouraged me on "upgrading" my audio components!!

I honestly feel I need to revisit my TH-600 review with this WA7 instead.

Awesome, I will be patiently awaiting your impressions!

Mar 6, 2013 at 5:42 AM Post #442 of 3,438
Quote:
Funny, I was planning on getting the WA7 to use specifically with CIEMs, and I thought to myself a few days ago "the black one would look great next to the TH600." Then I started wondering about that as an office pair.

AnakChan and I must be on the same wavelength.

:D. I read your dream of the MH335DW and mine should really be complete this weekend so I could do the WA7 & MH335DW comparison later. However, V0 actually has the MH335DW an WA7 now (but is probably not reading this thread).

The WA7 is truly a dream and has really showed what the TH-600 & TH-900 are capable of. I don't know if it's the WA7 specifically or if good tube amps in general but it has reminded me of your recommendation of the Zana Deux. I'm now thinking of moving on from my HP-A8 to "some tube amp" for my Fostex headphone.

Mar 6, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #443 of 3,438
Quote:

The WA7 is truly a dream and has really showed what the TH-600 & TH-900 are capable of. I don't know if it's the WA7 specifically or if good tube amps in general but it has reminded me of your recommendation of the Zana Deux. I'm now thinking of moving on from my HP-A8 to "some tube amp" for my Fostex headphone.

Haven't try the WA7 with my TH900, but I found that the Yamamoto HA-02 work very well with the TH900 maybe you should try that.
As for solid state amp the Violectric V200 also work very well, much better than the HP-A8 which I found to be rather muddy.

Mar 6, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #444 of 3,438
Quote:

From what I've read about the WA7 (and know of Woo's house sound), I'm guessing it's warmer and more traditionally tubey than the ZDSE. Craig's amps tend to be extremely transparent, though the ZDSE is probably the most luxurious of the lot. That being said, in general I find the primary benefit of tubes to be the sense of immersion and depth they add. A good tube amp has a more convincing sense of "being there" rather than having two little speakers piping music into either ear. Of course, some solid state amps can do this too, but it tends to be more easily achievable among tube designs in my experience.

Mar 6, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #445 of 3,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[Nice picture goes here]

BTW, just when I thought the TH-600 couldn't get any better. Tell ya what, this amp isn't even really warmed up yet and it's making me think I need to re-evaluate my impressions of the TH-600!!

Did you use it with the built-in DAC?

Mar 6, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #446 of 3,438
Quote:

Sorry...live raw notes.

Headphone DAC/Amp: Fostex HP-A8
iTunes via Audirvana+ 1.4.6: integer mode 2
Both Headphones using 1/4" jacks

Spanish Harlem - Rebecca Pidgeon (16/44.1 FLAC)
TH-600 seems to sound wider, whilst SigDJ seems more closed but deeper imaging, & taller sound stage.
SigDJ vocals has a more intimate whilst the TH-600 seems more set-back. By this I mean positioning from the listener (not talking about mid forwardness/recess-ness).
The SigDJ's S-Logic makes some instruments sound to come from behind the listener, whilst the TH-600, it feels more like sitting on row 5.
TH-600 has more distinct instrument separation

Through The Eyes Of Love - Sarah Morgann (16/44.1 FLAC)
Again, with the SigDJ's S-Logic, I feel I'm on the stage with artist and pianist performing, whilst with the TH-600 it's more taking from an audience's position.
The SigDJ's more closed proximity to the performance makes it easier to hear the detail, but with the TH-600 it feels more natural and laid back.

Climax - Usher (16/44.1 FLAC)
SigDJ's bass...wow. Trebles are also more forward and airy but not sibilant. More engaging on the SigDJ. The TH-600 feels too refined for whilst the SigDJ feels more engaging with its all S-Logic imaging. Usher feels more "hip" with SigDJ. The TH-600 has more of attending a sophisticated black tie concert but no one's allowed to jump up 'n down to dance.

Want U Back - Cher Lloyd
SigDJ's closed but "all around you" soundstage actually feels more engaging again in comparison to the TH-600. Same Usher's Climax, the TH-600 feels a little too refined for this kind of fast fun genre.

Star Wars Main Theme - John Williams (16/44.1 FLAC)
The tables have turned again. The TH-600 feels rich, spacious with a large orchestra to breath. The instrument separation helps here. The SigDJ feels too closed for this kind of presentation.

Don't Stop Believin' - Journey (DSD DSF 2.8MHz)
The TH-600's larger soundstage again seems to let this kind of rock to breath more nicely. The SigDJ actually felt more 2D-ish which surprised me. I did reseat the headphones on my ears properly for the S-Logic positioning but no improvement.

This is what I've got so far. Apologies for the brief notes.

Thanks for the great comparison. Your reviews are always so helpful! 
So I know this is a tricky question but if you had to choose the superior headphone which would it be?? DJ or th600?

Mar 6, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #447 of 3,438
Quote:
Agreed, that's pretty impressive, thanks AnakChan. I only have a problem with the Signature DJ's color scheme, and would prefer the matte black like the Sig Pro's.

Exactly my thoughts - wish the DJ's were black. The pro's looked fantastic imo whilst the white DJ's leaves a bit to be desired. Still, I bet in person they're just as nice as the pro's where.

Mar 6, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #448 of 3,438
Quote:
Thanks for the great comparison. Your reviews are always so helpful! 
So I know this is a tricky question but if you had to choose the superior headphone which would it be?? DJ or th600?

Oh wow. Is this for home use? If so I think I'd still pick the TH-600...that's cos I listen to a lot of vocal jazz, some classical, orchestral soundtracks, etc.  For the kind of stuff I listen to I like the wide soundstage and big sound. As much as I'd like to think I'm young again, I'm not really the Usher, Big Sean, Katy Perry or Taylor Swift type. I do listen to them occasionally but all that's really more for my wife.

I'm more the Best Audiophile Voices, Michael Buble, Diana Krall, Anne Murray, Adele, Lana Del Rey, Bill Evans Trio, Dave Brubeck, Paul Desmond, Ennio Morricone (my fav!), John Barry, Vivaldi, etc. kinda person.

Having said that I did buy the SigDJ yesterday for outdoor use. And I already have the TH-900s/SR-009 for home use.

Mar 6, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #449 of 3,438
Quote:

Did you use it with the built-in DAC?

Yes I did for that brief test. And today I tried feeding my HP-A8 as the DAC and the WA7 as amp-only mode. This amp actually makes the TH-600 sound closer to the TH-900. With the HP-A8, the difference between the two sounded greater (which to me puts the TH-600 priced accordingly). But with the WA7 amp, I feel it's got great synergy with the TH-600 that it makes that headphone extremely great value for money.

I don't know what MuppetFace was driving her TH-600's with but if it was with an amp that's great synergy (with the headphones), I can see why she said that the TH-600 sound close to the TH-900s.

Mar 6, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #450 of 3,438
Quote:
Exactly my thoughts - wish the DJ's were black. The pro's looked fantastic imo whilst the white DJ's leaves a bit to be desired. Still, I bet in person they're just as nice as the pro's where.

I haven't seen the Pros but I had the DJs up until recently.  I loved the sound but didn't like the appearance at all.  It felt and looked cheap in comparison to what I paid for it.  I know that will stir up a few people but just being honest with my opinion. :) 

The sound was excellent though.  I may yet get a pair of Pros and see if I prefer them in black vs the white...to me the white seemed to make them look cheaper.  I get the whole, "well it's so people are less likely to steal them." and while that may be true, you're still paying around $1k for them and if it looks cheap, it looks cheap.  Some may be OK with that, but I wasn't... not for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back