Fostex T60RP
Feb 21, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #947 of 1,465
Amazon gave up, manufacturer's number from the internal database was unavailable anymore. :frowning2: Instead, they can swap or fully refund me. I'll make up my mind these days what is going to be.

Also, I had an email sent to info_sales@fostex.jp, maybe others could email them as well and hare their own experience.

Feb 21, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #948 of 1,465
For a replacement cable, does the headphone-insert end need to be 4-pole (TRRS)?

I can't stand the stock cable as it's really noisy when rubbing against my shoulder or arm. I've searched the thread for replacement cables but I've mostly just found discussion of balanced cables.

I'm running these to a Neve RNHP, so balanced isn't what I need. I just need to know if A) TRRS is required for the 3.5mm headphone insert, and B) if anyone has a suggestion for a 5ft or longer cable with way better (less) microphonics.

So far liking the stock sound a lot for the money. Might look into more comfortable pads later, but for now any help is appreciated regarding the cable.
If you just use single end, a standard 3.5 TRS to TRS cable should be works.
T60 stock cable used a TRRS (L+/R+/L-/R-) to TRS(L+/R+/G) order. A standard TRS should short the L-/R- to common ground internally.

Feb 21, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #949 of 1,465
Amazon gave up, manufacturer's number from the internal database was unavailable anymore. :frowning2: Instead, they can swap or fully refund me. I'll make up my mind these days what is going to be.
Also, I had an email sent to info_sales@fostex.jp, maybe others could email them as well and hare their own experience.

Glad to hear Amazon will eventually refund/swap even past the 30 days return period.

I'm on the fence about it as well: I'm thinking to swap with a new pair but I'm afraid the majority is affected by this issue, as this thread is literally full of people complaining about it.

Feb 21, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #950 of 1,465
Glad to hear Amazon will eventually refund/swap even past the 30 days return period.
I'm on the fence about it as well: I'm thinking to swap with a new pair but I'm afraid the majority is affected by this issue, as this thread is literally full of people complaining about it.

Related, it would be great if people reading these posts could run a quick test with the Bass Shaker track here (using a decent amp and volume): https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

Feb 21, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #951 of 1,465
I was initially listening to basshead songs, I realized that there's rattling on boths cans, so after I ran the audiocheck tests. Now I wonder what will happen if some Head-Fiers, not being aware of the rattling issues, after running the audiocheck tests will find out their cans are defective as well. :)

BTW, no reply from FOSTEX yet. What about you?

Feb 21, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #952 of 1,465
I was initially listening to basshead songs, I realized that there's rattling on boths cans, so after I ran the audiocheck tests. Now I wonder what will happen if some Head-Fiers, not being aware of the rattling issues, after running the audiocheck tests will find out their cans are defective as well. :)
BTW, no reply from FOSTEX yet. What about you?

It would be interesting to know, so far based on this thread it seems like _everyone_ who tried that test had rattling.

I did only write to the UK distributor and they opened a support case and offered to swap with a new pair which they would manually test; the thing is, as I said, I'm seriously afraid all pairs do suffer from this issue.

Feb 21, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #953 of 1,465
I asked Amazon.co.uk and Thomann.de to test a pair for me, but they politely refused. Funny thing, Thomann.de had one open-box item available, but still refused to test'em for me.

So, this is your item: https://www.scvdistribution.co.uk/node/15587? Is this distributor really able to test a pari for you with 30 to 60Hz sinewaves? Not the best price ever, but if they can actually test a pair for me, I might really be interested in getting a pair too. Please keep us posted, thank you!

Feb 21, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #955 of 1,465
I asked Amazon.co.uk and Thomann.de to test a pair for me, but they politely refused. Funny thing, Thomann.de had one open-box item available, but still refused to test'em for me.
So, this is your item: https://www.scvdistribution.co.uk/node/15587? Is this distributor really able to test a pari for you with 30 to 60Hz sinewaves? Not the best price ever, but if they can actually test a pair for me, I might really be interested in getting a pair too. Please keep us posted, thank you!

Yes, that is the distributor. They said they will test both pairs, though they didn't say how.

Feb 21, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #957 of 1,465
For a replacement cable, does the headphone-insert end need to be 4-pole (TRRS)?

I can't stand the stock cable as it's really noisy when rubbing against my shoulder or arm. I've searched the thread for replacement cables but I've mostly just found discussion of balanced cables.

I'm running these to a Neve RNHP, so balanced isn't what I need. I just need to know if A) TRRS is required for the 3.5mm headphone insert, and B) if anyone has a suggestion for a 5ft or longer cable with way better (less) microphonics.

So far liking the stock sound a lot for the money. Might look into more comfortable pads later, but for now any help is appreciated regarding the cable.

As Artyouth said, any regular 3.5mm non-balanced cable will fit in the Fostex.
Just watch out for the size of the connector itself. Some won't fit.

https://i.gyazo.com/2ffa676bcd9f6377554e5b28632cf80a.jpg
For instance in my case the connectors that you see to the left fit perfectly, and it doesn't matter if they are balanced or not.
However those to the right won't fit.

If you're looking for something cheap and decent you can go with this : https://www.amazon.com/KabelDirekt-...d=1550773516&sr=8-8&keywords=kabeldirekt&th=1
It has a good ammount of flexibility and it's pretty cheap. It's also one of my favourite cable to work with when I make my cables.
I am very sorry...
You were really very unfortunate...
Don't give up and any help you need don't be afraid to ask me or send me a PM
The guy that was willing to take back the broken amp and you despite your loss letting him go
show us that humans are good in nature (with some notable exceptions like the guy that sold you the phones) and we must not give up.
Keep us informed.
Ask your distributor for a contact in Fostex Japan. I am sure we will all (from this thread) will chime in to your problem.
I will also talk to my distributor.
Ask Zack if he can help you, you never know.

Thanks man !
I contacted my distributor, and they asked me to describe the issue, so I told them everything that I've said here.
I also told them that many people seemed to have a similar issue according to this topic. Now I'm waiting for an answer. They were pretty fast to respond, and they seemed nice, so it looks good so far.

Pretty bad experience so far lol.
I tried to contact Fostex on this email 11 days ago.
Here is what I sent them : https://i.gyazo.com/7f32194d3fbc10c13facf2341d567d50.png

And... They didn't reply.

Feb 21, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #959 of 1,465
Thanks for giving it a try! Just to be sure, did you use a decent amp and upped the volume a bit?
Sure did I was using the Fostex HPA4-BL louder than I usually listen

Feb 21, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #960 of 1,465
As Artyouth said, any regular 3.5mm non-balanced cable will fit in the Fostex.
Just watch out for the size of the connector itself. Some won't fit.

https://i.gyazo.com/2ffa676bcd9f6377554e5b28632cf80a.jpg
For instance in my case the connectors that you see to the left fit perfectly, and it doesn't matter if they are balanced or not.
However those to the right won't fit.
8mm will be fine. We discussed the jack size here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fostex-t60rp.857690/page-35#post-14363418

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back