Fostex T60RP
Feb 14, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #916 of 1,450
What lol.
I tried to listen to your song with my t60rp and I had to lower the volume to 20% on my Lakepeople g93 to get rid of the rattle. Even at 30% I was getting this infamous rattle.

I tried to listen to my Takstar pro82 which are super easy to drive, and I can go up to 40% on my amp on this song. It's super loud but there is no rattle or distortion. I even hear a hiss in the background because I'm on high gain and the pro82s are pretty sensitive.

Even my koss ksc75 can go up to 40% without any issue lmao.

I tried the same song with my he500s and I was able to hit 90% on the volume knob without any distortion or rattle. I didn't expect them to go that high tbh, since it was loud asf. Those headphones are pretty impressive.

And of course Fostex still hasn't responded yet. When I tried to contact Hifiman it only took them a day to respond in comparison lol.
I think I'm gonna contact the guy who sold me the unit so he can take it back. I didn't want to bother him at first but since he sold me something that was defective I don't know why I should be the one dealing with this all this crap. (He even told me that he was listening with the t60rps at a fairly low volume, so that's probably why he never noticed this problem)

Plus seeing how badly you struggled to get it fixed is definitely not encouraging, especially considering the fact that it's still not fixed yet. I hope you will be able to find a solution in the future. At this price range, this is totally unacceptable.

I've had all the same headphones as you at some point aside from the He500s. They also did not have this problem at any volume. Though I didn't like the HE 400is, in my case I didn't have any rattling with those either, so I have had at least one other planar headphone without this issue.

Done with Fostex. I've heard the Mk IIs (not easy to get anymore) didn't have this problem as much, nor the TR-X00s, but I don't care to find out.

Feb 15, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #917 of 1,450
Same here, except that I had the original and older he400 at some point. Never had any issue with it either...

Pretty much done with Fostex as well. Nothing else but frustration, rage and waste of time.

It pisses me off because I wanted to love those headphones so much.
I loved the wood, the pads, the balanced 3.5 imput, the confort, and the fact that it was pretty light unlike most other planars.

Such a disappointment :/

Feb 15, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #918 of 1,450
I am also hesitant on this t60RP

Firstly, i wish it was dual cable.

But the ratting issues are worrisome.

In saying that, those wood cups are worth $300-$400 , such beautiful cups.

This is why th610 is a little more appealing.

Feb 15, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #919 of 1,450
I am also hesitant on this t60RP

Firstly, i wish it was dual cable.

But the ratting issues are worrisome.

In saying that, those wood cups are worth $300-$400 , such beautiful cups.

This is why th610 is a little more appealing.
I'll say this. I had the 610's and now have the t60's If I were to do it all over again I'd go with the 610's. I don't find that the t60's sound any better, and they surely do not fit my head more comfortably. And all of the issues that seem to be coming up about them would turn me off from buying them as well. I can say my t60's don't have any obvious issues. They don't squeak, or rattle. I just don't know if they deserve buying considering how many complaints have come up recently. FWIW, I feel the same way about HifiMan and their quality issues. Had both HE560's and 400i's , never had a problem with either. But I see too many others with problems and a lack of the company wanting to fix them, or even own up to them. I honestly hope Fostex will at least address it sometime in the future.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019 at 6:21 AM Post #920 of 1,450
@mushin1989 and @MetalChameau

I have been around long enough to know that what happened to you and especially @mushin1989 is definitely possible even though highly not probable.

So now the question is how to cut your losses short and to recover as much of the money spent by you on Fostex headphones.

I am sorry to report that my message to Hiroaki has not gone through to him through the LinkedIn channel. Mostly because I am not a premium subscriber as I have dropped it ever since I went into retirement.

So please tell me what are your plans on that so I can see how I may be able to help you.

If I was so fond of the Fostex planars as to wait 8+ weeks to buy another variation such as the Argon after having two T60 DOA's and then get the same problem with the Argon and in addition have Ryan tell me he does not know how to fix them I would be ready to get a weapon and start going after people.

We must take this up to the distributor in France and in the United States.
Zack is in Chicago he may be willing to see the Argon and tell us if he can help,
maybe Dan of Mr.Speakers might willing to help, after all they build their businesses
on the TRP's.

We can also ask Zeos he started with the TRP's and he is a guy that wants to help, he is smart enough to know that just pushing everything and having an end game every week is not going to be enough to keep his business going. He definitely has better access to the proper communications channels in Fostex.

If the distributor in France is not offering help I may take it upon myself to try and work it out with the Greek distributor.

I am really sorry for what happened to the two of you and I am feeling desperate,
this is totally unacceptable we need to find a way to correct it.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #922 of 1,450
I'll say this. I had the 610's and now have the t60's If I were to do it all over again I'd go with the 610's. I don't find that the t60's sound any better, and they surely do not fit my head more comfortably. And all of the issues that seem to be coming up about them would turn me off from buying them as well. I can say my t60's don't have any obvious issues. They don't squeak, or rattle. I just don't know if they deserve buying considering how many complaints have come up recently. FWIW, I feel the same way about HifiMan and their quality issues. Had both HE560's and 400i's , never had a problem with either. But I see too many others with problems and a lack of the company wanting to fix them, or even own up to them. I honestly hope Fostex will at least address it sometime in the future.

Yes I may have to skip on the t60rp for now. I would have got them just for the cups but they are not dual entry but maybe they can be? When i see a dual entry one maybe I will change my mind.
I will look into 610 and see if i like it.
There is a local one for sale, so I am trying to get a demo. Looks nice anyway and dual entry cable, and mod friendly it seems :D

Feb 17, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #924 of 1,450
Both drivers are rattling a lot, especially the left one. My T50-RP mk3 has a bit of rattle only at 30Hz sinewave and for volume higher than 80dBFS (measured with DecibelX in the middle of the driver).

I'll see if I can fix it. I think the rattle seems to be caused by imperfect alignment of both halves containing the magnets, but I'll update the forum when I'll have some results.

Couple of close-up pics, not related to the rattling issues.
WP_20190217_17_37_38_Pro.jpg WP_20190217_21_18_36_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #925 of 1,450
Both drivers are rattling a lot, especially the left one. My T5-RP mk3 has a bit of rattle only at 30Hz sinewave and for volume higher than 80dBFS (measured with DecibelX in the middle of the driver).

I'll see if I can fix it. I think the rattle seems to be caused by imperfect alignment of both halves containing the magnets, but I'll update the forum when I'll have some results.

Couple of close-up pics, not related to the rattling issues.

Can your T50 RP MK 3 that rattles play music at around 85 db flawless?

I just came across the greatest discovery of mine.
I have long been suspecting it and it finally came through.
I know you will not believe it, mainly because you all have been
conditioned to "bark up the wrong tree" by the marketing and
sales people.
The T20 RP MK III will thump and pump genuine base and
kick drum harder than the M1060,
You will feel the air beating down hard both the inner and
outer ear while it will retain the magic and famous vocal focus
of the mids of the Fostex RP and the highs will be utterly
detailed engaging and smooth for endless marathon sessions
and the soundstage will be huge and accurate and all that with
only the ifi micro amp/DAC.
You can try it for 21 days and confirm it free provided you have
a stock T20 with ZMF pads that fit your ears snugly or Alpha
pads that also fit snugly. If you are truly interested and don't
dismiss the idea right off the bat I will let you know.
To keep it if you confirm it will cost you 100$ paid to the
company that just came out with.
I will send you the drivers needed at no cost,
you will need to download an additional freeware
that also just came out.
You will need Jriver but I can send you free
one of my own legal licenses.
it will cost you nothing to confirm it,
but it will cost 100$ to keep it permanently
after the 21 day trial expires.
There will also be an additional benefit,
but that I will explain if you decide to try it
with no bias..

Feb 18, 2019 at 1:27 AM Post #926 of 1,450
The pics above are from my T60RP, and drivers are rattling a lot, for all frequencies lower than 250Hz. Several rattling on most bass-head songs.

The T50RP-mk3 are not an issue, only right driver rattles a bit and only at 30Hz (probably a resonance freq. or something). no rattles during the music.

I will re-read your message later today, for a better understanding. Thank you!

Feb 18, 2019 at 7:49 AM Post #927 of 1,450
The pics above are from my T60RP, and drivers are rattling a lot, for all frequencies lower than 250Hz. Several rattling on most bass-head songs.

The T50RP-mk3 are not an issue, only right driver rattles a bit and only at 30Hz (probably a resonance freq. or something). no rattles during the music.

I will re-read your message later today, for a better understanding. Thank you!

Well, that seriously sucks. I'm sorry for you man...

@mushin1989 and @MetalChameau

I have been around long enough to know that what happened to you and especially @mushin1989 is definitely possible even though highly not probable.

So now the question is how to cut your losses short and to recover as much of the money spent by you on Fostex headphones.

I am sorry to report that my message to Hiroaki has not gone through to him through the LinkedIn channel. Mostly because I am not a premium subscriber as I have dropped it ever since I went into retirement.

So please tell me what are your plans on that so I can see how I may be able to help you.

If I was so fond of the Fostex planars as to wait 8+ weeks to buy another variation such as the Argon after having two T60 DOA's and then get the same problem with the Argon and in addition have Ryan tell me he does not know how to fix them I would be ready to get a weapon and start going after people.

We must take this up to the distributor in France and in the United States.
Zack is in Chicago he may be willing to see the Argon and tell us if he can help,
maybe Dan of Mr.Speakers might willing to help, after all they build their businesses
on the TRP's.

We can also ask Zeos he started with the TRP's and he is a guy that wants to help, he is smart enough to know that just pushing everything and having an end game every week is not going to be enough to keep his business going. He definitely has better access to the proper communications channels in Fostex.

If the distributor in France is not offering help I may take it upon myself to try and work it out with the Greek distributor.

I am really sorry for what happened to the two of you and I am feeling desperate,
this is totally unacceptable we need to find a way to correct it.

Since Fostex isn't responding, I'll try to contact the distributor directly.
When I told this to the guy who sold me the unit (Since my t60rp are already used), he didn't even bother answering back lol.
If I were him I would have taken back the headphones right away to get it fixed by the warranty. I would not feel confortable at all having sold something defective.
I'm starting to think that he knew about this issue, but he just wanted to get rid of the headphones.
I hope that's not the case.
In comparaison another guy sold me a defective amp a couple of weeks ago (I got terrible luck huh), and when I told him that the amp was broken he was willing to refund me right away even though the amp was no longer being covered by the warranty. He was clearly honest, so I told him that it was fine and that I didn't want a refund.

Well, in any way, I'm going to try to reach the distributor, but since I'm not the original owner I don't think I'll be able to do anything. And even if they take care of it, I will probably have to pay for the transportation to send the t60rp... And even then, it's likely that I will get a defective unit again.

Buying this abomination was such a huge mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back