Fostex T60RP
Feb 18, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #931 of 1,450
Nearly a year ago, I sent the first pair back as the creak from the left hinge was terrible. Bought from Amazon UK

Feb 18, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #932 of 1,450
Buying used cans always have risk. I just buy used locally and pay after test.

But now the problem is, T60 definitely have problem on recent stock, new or replacement too. Warranty becomes not a solution just another suffering......

Well yeah, there is always a risk sadly.
Still, I'm going to pretend that the guy who sold me the t60rp didn't know about the issue since he has a pretty good feedback.

And I just contacted the distributor, hopefuly they will do something.

Feb 18, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #933 of 1,450
Nearly a year ago, I sent the first pair back as the creak from the left hinge was terrible. Bought from Amazon UK
Yes the same stock period I got my T60, and the date I joined this thread.
At that moment there was none rattling reported, but lots of creak. Obviously rattling is a problem on new stock only.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #935 of 1,450
Well, that seriously sucks. I'm sorry for you man...

Since Fostex isn't responding, I'll try to contact the distributor directly.
When I told this to the guy who sold me the unit (Since my t60rp are already used), he didn't even bother answering back lol.
If I were him I would have taken back the headphones right away to get it fixed by the warranty. I would not feel confortable at all having sold something defective.
I'm starting to think that he knew about this issue, but he just wanted to get rid of the headphones.
I hope that's not the case.
In comparaison another guy sold me a defective amp a couple of weeks ago (I got terrible luck huh), and when I told him that the amp was broken he was willing to refund me right away even though the amp was no longer being covered by the warranty. He was clearly honest, so I told him that it was fine and that I didn't want a refund.

Well, in any way, I'm going to try to reach the distributor, but since I'm not the original owner I don't think I'll be able to do anything. And even if they take care of it, I will probably have to pay for the transportation to send the t60rp... And even then, it's likely that I will get a defective unit again.

Buying this abomination was such a huge mistake.

I am very sorry...
You were really very unfortunate...
Don't give up and any help you need don't be afraid to ask me or send me a PM
The guy that was willing to take back the broken amp and you despite your loss letting him go
show us that humans are good in nature (with some notable exceptions like the guy that sold you the phones) and we must not give up.
Keep us informed.
Ask your distributor for a contact in Fostex Japan. I am sure we will all (from this thread) will chime in to your problem.
I will also talk to my distributor.
Ask Zack if he can help you, you never know.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #936 of 1,450
I also got mine a year ago from Amazon, it was not available in Greece.
Could it be they fixed the creek and introduced the rattle?
Why did they have to change the one screw to the 3 screw attachment on to the cup? (beats me)

Feb 18, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #938 of 1,450
I had 2 from Amazon Japan, and returned both, as they were both creaking and rattling. Unacceptable in my view, hence decided to give them up.

Feb 19, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #940 of 1,450
Both drivers are rattling a lot, especially the left one. My T50-RP mk3 has a bit of rattle only at 30Hz sinewave and for volume higher than 80dBFS (measured with DecibelX in the middle of the driver).

I'll see if I can fix it. I think the rattle seems to be caused by imperfect alignment of both halves containing the magnets, but I'll update the forum when I'll have some results.

Couple of close-up pics, not related to the rattling issues.
I'm definitely going to be keeping a close eye on what you can come up with.

In terms of my own efforts in the past, I've opened them up and tried to tighten the screws. This *can* help. In one case, it nearly eliminated the rattling in one ear. When I say tighten though, I mean *tighten*. Like, get a small screwdriver, unscrew them a bit, then retigthen as well as you can.

The trouble is this is not an issue you can just tolerate in *any* amount. If it happens reliably with any of your favorite applications (music/games/movies), then it's garbage.

Aside from three very small black screws there is *nothing* securing the driver, and when you release it you'll find it just plops into the wood cup with nothing else in particular to even indicate its orientation. You have to wonder whether the unit simply rattles against itself all the time in the sense that wires, screws, or other bits of plastic vibrate against one another. If that were the case, some kind of putty or other removable adhesive could work, but I don't have anything to try out. This idea about the magnets seems plausible, however, since the rattling is so pervasive.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019 at 12:32 AM Post #941 of 1,450
Thank you @mushin1989, this is exactly what I did, to use the screwdriver and try to realign the two plastic pieces that keep the driver in place, by tightening/loosing the 8 screws. Not any luck yet, so I tried to do two shims from paper toilet and insert those between the driver and the plastic, on both sides, just to be sure the driver is well kept in place and dumped. This was resolving the rattle for sure, but the SPL decrease a lot...almost 10dB on the bass, so I reverted to the original, by removing the toilet paper shims.

Now I'm still trying to figure out a way to fix this somehow. I realized that dumping the backside helps a bit, but I really don't want to overdump my cups just to resolve the rattle, because the bass will loos in impact and quality.

Feb 20, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #942 of 1,450
For a replacement cable, does the headphone-insert end need to be 4-pole (TRRS)?

I can't stand the stock cable as it's really noisy when rubbing against my shoulder or arm. I've searched the thread for replacement cables but I've mostly just found discussion of balanced cables.

I'm running these to a Neve RNHP, so balanced isn't what I need. I just need to know if A) TRRS is required for the 3.5mm headphone insert, and B) if anyone has a suggestion for a 5ft or longer cable with way better (less) microphonics.

So far liking the stock sound a lot for the money. Might look into more comfortable pads later, but for now any help is appreciated regarding the cable.

Feb 21, 2019 at 6:16 AM Post #943 of 1,450
Back to the rattling issue, I've got my T60rp from Amazon UK a few weeks ago and noticed the rattling yesterday, later confirmed via the tone generator posted previously.

This is very sad, as I really liked the headphones (both look and sound).

I contacted the UK distributor which should also deal with tech support, I can report here what they end up saying/doing if anyone is interested.

Feb 21, 2019 at 6:39 AM Post #945 of 1,450
This is the exact link I purchased my T60RP as well: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0787KF3MP?ref_=pe_3187911_313716451_E_304_dt_1. Same rattling, both drivers. I don not intend to return them, I'm going to minimize money loss and try another way to to fix that.

If you bought it less than 30 days ago, you can just return them to Amazon as defective, no money loss. Otherwise if you really like the headphones and want to try keeping them, send an email to https://www.scvdistribution.co.uk/, which should be the official UK retailer and tech support provider. If you want to minimize money loss, I would not try to fix them myself as that would probably break the warranty, but that's up to you of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back