Fostex T60RP
May 15, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #287 of 1,464
Silly question time!

First off, I wanna say that I'm considering getting a pair of T60rp in the near future, as long as everything goes well (like, if I can repair my MSR7's driver issues somewhat cost effectively). So, here goes!

My first question is, how well would you guys expect a lowly Fiio Q1 to drive these? I don't have the budget to upgrade my amp at the same time, so if I get the T60rp I will have to make do with it for a while. Now, sure, it won't drive them to their full potential, but for a temporary solution I'm ok with, like, 85% of it.

Secondly, how well do these play with aftermarket pads? I mean, I know Fostex FINALLY upgraded their pads and don't use the shallow, crappy pads from the MK3, but still, even HM5 pads will be better comfort wise almost certainly. I only remember @kintsaki suggesting ZMF pads, but that's about it. And with ZMF being some of the, if not THE most expensive pads out there and with me already having a pair of HM5 pleathers, I would like to know if others have any experience on the matter. Again, I'm asking for something temporary until finances get better and I can get a decent pair of pads, like Dekoni or ZMF ones.

Thanks a bunch! :)
stay with hm5 they are just fine for now

May 15, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #288 of 1,464
enlighten me, sir ?
read my last post one or two pages back and if it is going to make you feel better note that
all the amps (Emotiva, Phase Linear, even the Crown XLS at 300 Watt/channel RMS into 8 ohm
that Zeos used on his jumbo sub-woofer are a far cry from the Crown XTI 2 1002 properly
configured with the Audio Architect software and connected with active or passive adapters
for consumer type devices with -10db level output signal (balanced pro signals are +4db level).
In fact the difference is so vast and immediately noticeable that I run all my orthos again last night
to see if any non Fostex ones are worth keeping and no they are not I am putting them all up
for sale and keeping the T60. T20, ZMF Blackwood and my current flagship the Smeggy Thunderpant
that now after my "Ring" modification that enlarges its size by 50% I call it "BeatTheirPants".
Listening to other rigs and comparing them to mine is like comparing a 2D black and white Auto-cad
drawing to an original Matisse oil painting.

May 15, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #289 of 1,464
read my last post one or two pages back and if it is going to make you feel better note that
all the amps (Emotiva, Phase Linear, even the Crown XLS at 300 Watt/channel RMS into 8 ohm
that Zeos used on his jumbo sub-woofer are a far cry from the Crown XTI 2 1002 properly
configured with the Audio Architect software and connected with active or passive adapters
for consumer type devices with -10db level output signal (balanced pro signals are +4db level).
In fact the difference is so vast and immediately noticeable that I run all my orthos again last night
to see if any non Fostex ones are worth keeping and no they are not I am putting them all up
for sale and keeping the T60. T20, ZMF Blackwood and my current flagship the Smeggy Thunderpant
that now after my "Ring" modification that enlarges its size by 50% I call it "BeatTheirPants".
Listening to other rigs and comparing them to mine is like comparing a 2D black and white Auto-cad
drawing to an original Matisse oil painting.

I'm glad you have found your audio nirvana! :o2smile:
But I have a couple of questions since you have made me curious. You mentioned which headphones you are keeping but which ones are you selling? Also, what does the Crown XTI 2 1002 output into 50 ohms? I saw that it's rated for 275 watts per channel at 8 ohms but I don't know the conversion of what it would be into 50 ohms.

May 15, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #291 of 1,464
Recently picked up a pair of T60rp used on Adorama and definitely better than Fostex's in house modded T50rp, the Dekoni Blue. I prefer a little more bass than what the t60rp has but the Dekoni Blue has such sloppy bass.

Thanks for the impressions, hadn’t seen many (any?) comparisons between the T60RP and Dekoni Blue before yours.

Did you have both at the same time to compare?

May 15, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #293 of 1,464
I'm glad you have found your audio nirvana! :o2smile:
But I have a couple of questions since you have made me curious. You mentioned which headphones you are keeping but which ones are you selling? Also, what does the Crown XTI 2 1002 output into 50 ohms? I saw that it's rated for 275 watts per channel at 8 ohms but I don't know the conversion of what it would be into 50 ohms.

275*8/50= is the calculation however the rating of pro equipment is at 1kz not at 20 to 20kz so the 275 is really 225.
So 225*8/50=1800/50=180/5=36 and it is all used.
It is the ability of the amp to deliver 700 Watts down to 2 ohms that counts (Orthodynamics require constant zero output impedance across the entire frequency spectrum)
along with its better than 500 damping factor that provides outstanding bass and transient response at a very low distortion. (People are using this amp to drive electrostatics, that is high clean it is)

The Volume controls at the chain of amps are as follows.
Sony PHa-3 5 o clock
Ifi Micro DSD turbo mod 2 o clock
XTI 2 1001 16/20 (stepped control)

Hifiman Edition X V2 is the most efficient Orthodynamic (103db to the 93 db for the T60) That means it needs 1/10 the power to produce the same loudness level and can be
easily driven by phones. Hifiman advises not to use it with amps that can deliver more than 2 Watts to it. Well nothing ids further from the truth (about the maximum power) .
I only lower the ifi above to 11 o'clock.

If you look at my profile everything EXCEPT Fostex TH-900, Sony 800EST, Hifiman Edition X V2 and all my Ortho-Fostex'S is up for sale.
Audeze LCD2 is already gone and M1060 was used to perform the "Ring" mode on Smeggy.
That leaves he following
Grado 325s, Alessandro MS-PRO, Denon 2000, Denon 5000, Focal Elear, Hifiman He-6, Mr Speakers Ether C flow.
Here are the pictures of the M1060 wood ring used to increase the size of the Thunderpants and make the BeatTheirPants
I say it again the T50RP has always been the best driver that money can buy put in an enlarged case like the one in the photos stuffed with cotton balls and it will destroy 4k $ phones even when driven by a single 100 Watt speaker amp. It will perform great with the ifi Micro DSD.
You can buy an ifi for 500 and an Argon T50 for 250 (750) and get most of it. Then pay 250 to a headfier that does wood work to make you a "BeaThteirPants" case and see what a live concert sounds at home, finally spent 550 on an XTI 2 and find out how you can get high just listening to music. If you have the money get the T60 instead and perform the ring upgrade. If you are a bass head and wont perform the mode get the Argon. So there you have 50 years experience on how to save money on this expensive hobby. Now let me see If I will ever be able to sell my
headphones in Head-fi.
20180419_070404_HDR.jpg 20180419_070534_HDR.jpg 20180419_071244_HDR.jpg 20180419_071341_HDR.jpg 20180419_071409_HDR.jpg

May 15, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #295 of 1,464
I have them both in my lap right now and comparing them lol. I am comparing the t60rp to my plethora of other t50rp mods.

Excellent, thanks, I’m heavily considering the Dekoni Blue because they have a $50 instant rebate going on right now and are readily available, unlike the T60RP, which are because of that discount, $50 more expensive than the T60RP.

May 15, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #297 of 1,464
Excellent, thanks, I’m heavily considering the Dekoni Blue because they have a $50 instant rebate going on right now and are readily available, unlike the T60RP, which are because of that discount, $50 more expensive than the T60RP.
There is a seller on ebay that has Dekoni Blue for $250 with the Offer option and was able to get them for $230. I got the t60rp used on adorama for $220. I would also check out Cascadia Audio Talos 2 ( http://cascadia-audio.com/talos-2/ ), they are a very good mod and he is selling the first batch for $260. They have vastly superior earpads and better comfort overall (but I have big head and ears).

May 15, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #300 of 1,464
the original is like the LFF bass shy, nothing special compared to the T60 or even the MK III unless you are a treble head.
Sadly I have not had the fortune to listen to a pair of a LFF. How do they compare to the MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs or Alpha Primes?

I don't find the T60 particularly special when compared to the similar priced Cascadia Audio Talos (http://cascadia-audio.com/talos-2/). The Talos 2 have a little more bass the T60 with equally quality highs and mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back