Fostex T60RP
May 14, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #271 of 1,469
After having listened to the T60RP with several headphone amps I found the association with the Fostex HP-V1 to be very good. The fact that the headphones and the amp are from the same brand is totally fortuitous, but yeah it works very well. The "portable" hybrid (tube/solid state) amp from Fostex is surprisingly powerful enough and brings a very spacious, mature and balanced sound to the T60RP. Very happy with this combo :)

May 14, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #272 of 1,469
After having listened to the T60RP with several headphone amps I found the association with the Fostex HP-V1 to be very good. The fact that the headphones and the amp are from the same brand is totally fortuitous, but yeah it works very well. The "portable" hybrid (tube/solid state) amp from Fostex is surprisingly powerful enough and brings a very spacious, mature and balanced sound to the T60RP. Very happy with this combo :)
The key word in your post is "headphone" amps. You have no idea what you are missing.

May 14, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #273 of 1,469
Silly question time!

First off, I wanna say that I'm considering getting a pair of T60rp in the near future, as long as everything goes well (like, if I can repair my MSR7's driver issues somewhat cost effectively). So, here goes!

My first question is, how well would you guys expect a lowly Fiio Q1 to drive these? I don't have the budget to upgrade my amp at the same time, so if I get the T60rp I will have to make do with it for a while. Now, sure, it won't drive them to their full potential, but for a temporary solution I'm ok with, like, 85% of it.

Secondly, how well do these play with aftermarket pads? I mean, I know Fostex FINALLY upgraded their pads and don't use the shallow, crappy pads from the MK3, but still, even HM5 pads will be better comfort wise almost certainly. I only remember @kintsaki suggesting ZMF pads, but that's about it. And with ZMF being some of the, if not THE most expensive pads out there and with me already having a pair of HM5 pleathers, I would like to know if others have any experience on the matter. Again, I'm asking for something temporary until finances get better and I can get a decent pair of pads, like Dekoni or ZMF ones.

Thanks a bunch! :)

May 14, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #275 of 1,469
Silly question time!

First off, I wanna say that I'm considering getting a pair of T60rp in the near future, as long as everything goes well (like, if I can repair my MSR7's driver issues somewhat cost effectively). So, here goes!

My first question is, how well would you guys expect a lowly Fiio Q1 to drive these? I don't have the budget to upgrade my amp at the same time, so if I get the T60rp I will have to make do with it for a while. Now, sure, it won't drive them to their full potential, but for a temporary solution I'm ok with, like, 85% of it.

Secondly, how well do these play with aftermarket pads? I mean, I know Fostex FINALLY upgraded their pads and don't use the shallow, crappy pads from the MK3, but still, even HM5 pads will be better comfort wise almost certainly. I only remember @kintsaki suggesting ZMF pads, but that's about it. And with ZMF being some of the, if not THE most expensive pads out there and with me already having a pair of HM5 pleathers, I would like to know if others have any experience on the matter. Again, I'm asking for something temporary until finances get better and I can get a decent pair of pads, like Dekoni or ZMF ones.

Thanks a bunch! :)

(not a silly question at all)

I haven't heard the T60RP yet. I own (and love) the ZMF Ori/formerly Omni, described by some as the ultimate T50RP MKII mod (I would agree). Anyway, the pads to get for this IMO would be the ZMF Ori pads. Yes, they're expensive--they're also the best angled pads I've ever used.

A physically very similiar pad (steeply angled, very comfy) is the Brainwavz angled sheepskins:
https://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Sh...=8-2-spons&keywords=brainwavz+sheepskin&psc=1

Another Head-Fi'er gave me a pair, and I've used them periodically for pad-rolling. If I didn't know about the Ori pads, I would label these the best angled pads around...differences are really small.

with the T50RPs, thick/angled pads are key to getting the best bass. I suspect it will work about the same w/the T60RPs.

May 14, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #276 of 1,469
What was your source? I use mine with my SS desktop setup or with my tube amp. They do need power... but then, so does the t50rp mk3 which I had until recently ... I don't remember thinking they had a condensed sound.

At the moment that is my ONLY planar.. at one point I had three. I have done a few complicated trades with my husband. I have the day to myself tomorrow. I will try to give them a really good listen tomorrow. I have been wanting to but have been sidetracked by iems and buds recently. I know you already have the T50RP MK3 and the T20RP MK3. Have you tried the Brainwavz Hybrid pads on them? Loved the T50RP MK3 with them.

Sometimes I think I have too many choices. Actually I know I do. What are we DOING? I should just stop reading threads.

BTW, I have listened to the t60rp that my husband has but was distracted by the creakiness of the cups. I have not listened to it since it was exchanged for a non creaky one.

Well, I think you guessed which Head Fi member I was talking about, lol... yes, I recall you writing at some point that it's your only planar and I think I either extrapolated that it was thus your favorite or perhaps I read somewhere you had listened to others.

I figure if I am able to score the TH500RP used (no easy feat, I admit), worst case, I could sell them if they ended up disappointing me, and get the T60RP eventually, but on the other hand, I'm not sure I wouldn't just convince myself to keep the TH500RP based on looks alone. Am I shallow? :p

May 14, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #278 of 1,469
What was your source? I use mine with my SS desktop setup or with my tube amp. They do need power... but then, so does the t50rp mk3 which I had until recently ... I don't remember thinking they had a condensed sound.

At the moment that is my ONLY planar.. at one point I had three. I have done a few complicated trades with my husband. I have the day to myself tomorrow. I will try to give them a really good listen tomorrow. I have been wanting to but have been sidetracked by iems and buds recently. I know you already have the T50RP MK3 and the T20RP MK3. Have you tried the Brainwavz Hybrid pads on them? Loved the T50RP MK3 with them.

Sometimes I think I have too many choices. Actually I know I do. What are we DOING? I should just stop reading threads.

BTW, I have listened to the t60rp that my husband has but was distracted by the creakiness of the cups. I have not listened to it since it was exchanged for a non creaky one.
I tried it with the Modi/Magni stack, and the iFi black Label. I don't know how else to describe it other than it was like it had cotton stuffed into it, muffling the sound. I was surprised because I love all the other Fostex cans I've owned. None of them had the same properties the 500 did. Heck, none of my other open cans sounded as closed as them, and I'm not sure that any of the closed ones did either.

May 14, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #279 of 1,469
I tried it with the Modi/Magni stack, and the iFi black Label. I don't know how else to describe it other than it was like it had cotton stuffed into it, muffling the sound. I was surprised because I love all the other Fostex cans I've owned. None of them had the same properties the 500 did. Heck, none of my other open cans sounded as closed as them, and I'm not sure that any of the closed ones did either.

Those sources should have been good enough. I have not listened to them in awhile. I hope I don't find out that I was mistaken to like them!

May 14, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #281 of 1,469
Those sources should have been good enough. I have not listened to them in awhile. I hope I don't find out that I was mistaken to like them!
Hey, you like what you like! Don't let anyone tell you they're no good. Just because they weren't for me doesn't mean they don't suit the rest of you all just fine. I love my TH900s, and lord know I've read enough negative stuff written about them.

May 14, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #282 of 1,469
sorry for the off topic but I'm glad to read an A800 owner. The A800 was the biggest surprise of all headphones i've ever purchased. The comfort is awful, but the sound these cans deliver is absolutely brillant. I own some much more high end and expensive cans -(HD800, Magister, Pandora VI, LCD-3) but the A800 never sound lower class compared to them. They are quite hard to find but worth the attention, actually they are a mystery, how can they be so good ?

So, two of you saying that the comfort of the Onkyo A800 is awful...wow. I find them very comfortable. Not my MOST comfortable...that would go to the Nighthawk...but comfortable enough. Like you said the sound is amazing. I maintain that this is my endgame for headphones. Endgame in the sense that I will not be buying any more headphones. I will admit that I loved how the t60rp looked on me but my husband would not let me have them...partly because I have the A800. So HE has a gazillion planars.

I have given the A800 pride of place.

10092091.jpg

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #283 of 1,469

The original Q1 or the MKII? And if the MKII, single-ended, or balanced cable?

May 14, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #284 of 1,469

Have you ever owned the T20RP MK3? Because “muffled” is what comes to mind with that set - until my brain adjusts to it again, and then I rather enjoy it.

I’ve not seen anyone who has the TH500RP and also has the T20RP MK3 and I’ve always wondered if those two are similar.

May 14, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #285 of 1,469
(not a silly question at all)

I haven't heard the T60RP yet. I own (and love) the ZMF Ori/formerly Omni, described by some as the ultimate T50RP MKII mod (I would agree). Anyway, the pads to get for this IMO would be the ZMF Ori pads. Yes, they're expensive--they're also the best angled pads I've ever used.

A physically very similiar pad (steeply angled, very comfy) is the Brainwavz angled sheepskins:
https://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Sh...=8-2-spons&keywords=brainwavz+sheepskin&psc=1

Another Head-Fi'er gave me a pair, and I've used them periodically for pad-rolling. If I didn't know about the Ori pads, I would label these the best angled pads around...differences are really small.

with the T50RPs, thick/angled pads are key to getting the best bass. I suspect it will work about the same w/the T60RPs.
I see... Well, the Brainwavz pads are not only cheaper, but also much easier for me to get in Greece. Still, if the situation permits it, I will elect to go for the ZMF ones, but it's good to have options. Thanks a lot mate!

The original Q1 or the MKII? And if the MKII, single-ended, or balanced cable?
The original Q1, the flask shaped one. So single-ended. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back