Fostex T60RP
May 15, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #301 of 1,468
Excellent, thanks, I’m heavily considering the Dekoni Blue because they have a $50 instant rebate going on right now and are readily available, unlike the T60RP, which are because of that discount, $50 more expensive than the T60RP.
I have the Dekoni Blue and I really like them a lot. I don’t have a T60RP to compare it to though, so I can’t say anything about that one. I like the bass on the Dekoni and with the right source, I think it is very decent, but yes elevated. Also, you get two pair of really nice pads. The angled Elite hybrid and some thick velours. That in itself is a pretty great thing.

May 16, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #302 of 1,468
May 16, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #303 of 1,468
Got those new babies.
Out of the box were a bit bass shy to my taste (the sub roll off has to be compensate a bit). Knowing well previous models, I removed the pads in order to shut two opposite vents with adhesive. Easy, no screw. Those inside vents are very effective to change the bass level. I small change goes a long way.
After that bass are good for me . Actually the fostex rp's doesn't have much subs (they do have a bit tho), but the bass is great. Layered, sustained, defined. Mids/trele are better than the t50 mk3 I have. More defined.
Then I tried balanced. First with my audio-gd he-9. Everything gets more precise, top to bottom. Then from my kann and same story: more precise, more punch. I often noticed that balanced amp goes well with planars, as if the softness of the planar let you enjoy more precision without being fatiguing.
With the kann I'm really happy, I was looking for a good outside alternative to my Audeze that doesn't make me cry. And I have to say I have a very good portable rig now. The balanced give me a bit of headroom which can be useful on some old tracks or in a noisy environment.
I would say it's fine out the box, but personally it still needs a bit of mods in order to really shine. After the inside vents tune think it needs lesting for more controlled sub and a bit acoustic absorbant inside the cup for tempering the cup resonance.
Confort wise it's better than before but the strap is still hard, so it can hurt a bit after few hours.
Hey, may be a bit late to the party, but would you mind posting a few pics of the mod you did? The one with the vents. It sounds like a more newbie friendly thing to do than build another set of cups from scratch. I, and maybe others too, would appreciate it. :)

May 17, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #304 of 1,468
Finally got a pair of these in for review :D

At the moment only listening out of a Topping A30, but they sound great from first listen, not quite a dry as the regular T50rp from memory. A bit more weight to the sound with excellent detail, the midrange is lovely. I have the 4-pin balanced cable to try them with my Keces S3 and also hook them up to my Marantz PM5005.

May 17, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #306 of 1,468
20180419_065255_HDR.jpg 20180419_055727_HDR.jpg 20180419_063208_HDR.jpg 20180419_065144_HDR.jpg 20180419_060257_HDR.jpg 20180419_060348_HDR.jpg 10101294.jpg
Sadly I have not had the fortune to listen to a pair of a LFF. How do they compare to the MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs or Alpha Primes?

I don't find the T60 particularly special when compared to the similar priced Cascadia Audio Talos (http://cascadia-audio.com/talos-2/). The Talos 2 have a little more bass the T60 with equally quality highs and mids.
I have not heard the Dogs the Alphas or the Talos. However after a month of experimenting with damping materials, methods and even modifying the pads inside the ear cavity I can tell you that you can tune/tailor the sound to your own personal taste. That is why there are so many moders (professional and amateurs) and so many mods. But none of the modes makes a monstrous difference like the size increase. With the size increase instruments and voices acquire body and real life size. The sound stage extends 2 feet in all directions but because instruments are real life size you think you are listening to speakers in fact better because unless you have gigantic speakers instruments are still smaller than real. Loudness is crystal clear to concert level with 120 db peaks. Bass and sub bass is thunderous and mids and highs are so liquid and so present it is unbelievable.
Mr Speakers Ether C flows, LCD2's and Edition X V2 are just for plain laughs. Minuscule instruments and voices, stringent mids and highs, lean bass except LCD2 and Ether C flow. You would never want to ever listen to them again.here are more photos I have taken during the last month while experimenting Baffle remains the same (plastic not wood not good in my opinion) with smaller foam on the T60 for the bass reflex. the wholes some close are shown closing all you go from bass-reflex to acoustic suspension (tighter faster but less fat bass). The blue semi transparent cover for the three slot openings is removable as you can see in the pictures. Only part of the back wave (1/9) see picture is allowed to travel trough the vents and the foam to enhance bass. I will not show pics of the insides of the ZMF Blackwood because Zach wants to keep it a secret but I will tell you that while all Fostex are empty as you can see in the pics the ZMF is full of various different materials unlike Smeggy Thunderpants he is also using a plastic baffle (big mistake in my opinion). I hope you enjoy the pictures You now have enough to build your own killer TxyzRP.

Last edited:
May 19, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #307 of 1,468

I have not heard the Dogs the Alphas or the Talos. However after a month of experimenting with damping materials, methods and even modifying the pads inside the ear cavity I can tell you that you can tune/tailor the sound to your own personal taste. That is why there are so many moders (professional and amateurs) and so many mods. But none of the modes makes a monstrous difference like the size increase. With the size increase instruments and voices acquire body and real life size. The sound stage extends 2 feet in all directions but because instruments are real life size you think you are listening to speakers in fact better because unless you have gigantic speakers instruments are still smaller than real. Loudness is crystal clear to concert level with 120 db peaks. Bass and sub bass is thunderous and mids and highs are so liquid and so present it is unbelievable.
Mr Speakers Ether C flows, LCD2's and Edition X V2 are just for plain laughs. Minuscule instruments and voices, stringent mids and highs, lean bass except LCD2 and Ether C flow. You would never want to ever listen to them again.here are more photos I have taken during the last month while experimenting Baffle remains the same (plastic not wood not good in my opinion) with smaller foam on the T60 for the bass reflex. the wholes some close are shown closing all you go from bass-reflex to acoustic suspension (tighter faster but less fat bass). The blue semi transparent cover for the three slot openings is removable as you can see in the pictures. Only part of the back wave (1/9) see picture is allowed to travel trough the vents and the foam to enhance bass. I will not show pics of the insides of the ZMF Blackwood because Zach wants to keep it a secret but I will tell you that while all Fostex are empty as you can see in the pics the ZMF is full of various different materials unlike Smeggy Thunderpants he is also using a plastic baffle (big mistake in my opinion). I hope you enjoy the pictures You now have enough to build your own killer TxyzRP.
I'm assuming you mean the holes in the back of the cup, right? The 3 slits that you can see from the outside too? If so, I guess closing all 3 makes the cans closed, opening all 3 makes them open. Am I correct or way off the point?

May 19, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #308 of 1,468
I'm assuming you mean the holes in the back of the cup, right? The 3 slits that you can see from the outside too? If so, I guess closing all 3 makes the cans closed, opening all 3 makes them open. Am I correct or way off the point?
You are right that was the point of showing these pictures. I removed the semi open cover and placed it on the blue magnet leaving the phones completely open. You can easily place it back it sticks back on.
This is not possible with the Mk III's you have to destroy it to yank it out.

May 19, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #309 of 1,468
You are right that was the point of showing these pictures. I removed the semi open cover and placed it on the blue magnet leaving the phones completely open. You can easily place it back it sticks back on.
This is not possible with the Mk III's you have to destroy it to yank it out.
Nice! So what changes apart from bass when going fully open? And talking about bass, you said that closing makes it tighter and faster, but going open makes it fatter. Which sounds better for you on the bass department? Fully open, closed or semi-open?

Thanks a bunch for your work!

May 20, 2018 at 3:14 AM Post #311 of 1,468
Nice! So what changes apart from bass when going fully open? And talking about bass, you said that closing makes it tighter and faster, but going open makes it fatter. Which sounds better for you on the bass department? Fully open, closed or semi-open?

Thanks a bunch for your work!
the differences and enhancements associated with the increase in the size of the driver enclosure are so dramatic and substantial that it will
be a very long time before I ever go back to investigate minor variations associated with damping and opening and closing air wholes. I am
really sorry I am not helping with the things you guys can easily play with but the sooner you apply the ring or equivalent mod the sooner you will
experience Revelation. It was an accidental discovery I was trying to increase bass and loudness level and I got this amazing thing.
You now that anybody can distinguish live from canned music 100% of the time within seconds. Well this is so 100% immediately recognizable by everyone
that once you experience it you will never want to go back. So now i must try to modify the Smeggy baffle (drill wholes) to add transmission line pipes
and then after that I will install 2 sets of drivers back to back to experiment with the Isobaric configuration. Ironically some of those speaker old techniques were
invented by Fostex yet not tried by them or the thousands of Fostex moders and I am wondering why. Only Smeggy tried the 4th Order pass band variation -fortunately- not because it was effective but because it inspired Hiroaki to go back and try the Fostex configuration on the phones and voila the MK III was born. Hiroaki lend the Smeggy Thunderpants to Headfonia but never sold it to them he kept for Fostex research and 5 years later the MK III was born (see article and story here https://www.headfonia.com/standing-ovation-smeggys-thunderpants/)
Pictures follow to illustrate the concepts and the way I intend to try to implement the transmission line configuration with flexible pipe in helix form. The Mk II is the 1st configuration (Also properly called Acoustic Suspension and first used successfully by Acoustic Research a Henry Kloss founded company) 3rd configuration is MK III, 4th Configuration is Smeggy Thunderpants. Kintsaki "BeatTheirpants" is still 1st configuration with oversized chamber and some form of 4th order pass-band built into the deep cavity of the ZMF pads.

.reflex.png Isobaric.png double.png final.jpg Empty-4-inch-full-range-spea.jpg image_2926.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170625_204816.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 20, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #312 of 1,468
@kintsaki - Your info and work on these can's are a breathe of fresh air, I feel you're on to something great here.

Keep it going!

May 20, 2018 at 3:58 AM Post #313 of 1,468
@kintsaki - Your info and work on these can's are a breathe of fresh air, I feel you're on to something great here.

Keep it going!
Thanks!
Is there anybody doing wood work that would be interested to build wooden caps and baffles?
I have trouble finding a shop to do the work here in Greece.
I remember there was somebody he wrote in his profile that he does some work on his spare time.

May 20, 2018 at 4:26 AM Post #314 of 1,468
If you get no luck with wooden cups then perhaps have a look in to 3d printing?

Maybe give your local carpenter a call and see if they can do it?

May 20, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #315 of 1,468
Thanks!
Is there anybody doing wood work that would be interested to build wooden caps and baffles?
I have trouble finding a shop to do the work here in Greece.
I remember there was somebody he wrote in his profile that he does some work on his spare time.

Fleasbaby would be a good place to start. He does great work and has built fostex cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back