Fostex T60RP
May 20, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #316 of 1,451
If you get no luck with wooden cups then perhaps have a look in to 3d printing?

Maybe give your local carpenter a call and see if they can do it?

Thanks I am looking into 3d also even though this is also kind of rare in
Greece and I am talking with carpenters. The problem with artisans is that
they refuse to attempt something new even if it is a simple variation of their
standard routine. I have been working for months now with a shoe repair/maker
to have him make ZMF clone pads with memory foam and Really Real leather
(not plastic painted to look like leather) for restoring my Denons D2K and D5K
and we have just finished making one pad now we need to do the headband.
He said that will be easier. Lets wait and see.
I just had another terrific idea I will talk about that later when I fully digest it.

May 20, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #317 of 1,451
Fleasbaby would be a good place to start. He does great work and has built fostex cans.
Thanks I really appreciate the help.
I will get in touch with him. However I may not do it immediately
because if he asks me for a model now I won't be able to give him one
as there are quite a few questions I have to answer while I am still experimenting.
On the other hand if I talk to him now he may have some really good ideas
on how to go about it.

My goal is to make a User Mod-able Fostex driven Headphone.
I had to re-solder the drivers 5 times last month and as I am not good with
this kind of think I had to go to various electronics technicians and wait and
pay 20 euros a pop to convince them to spend a few minutes of their "valuable"
time to fix them. I finally replaced the hair thin wires with the green and yellow
thick wires shown on my pictures and I tie them and untie them every time I
open the cups and fool around with the damping materials.

May 22, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #318 of 1,451
Can anyone give any feedback as to how the T60rp compares to say the Audeze LCD2 C or the hifiman Sundara? I'm interested in the planar sound, but so far have been underwhelmed by the sound, to warm overall or lacking in mids for vocals and treble, to my ears.

May 22, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #319 of 1,451
Can anyone give any feedback as to how the T60rp compares to say the Audeze LCD2 C or the hifiman Sundara? I'm interested in the planar sound, but so far have been underwhelmed by the sound, to warm overall or lacking in mids for vocals and treble, to my ears.
I can compare them to the Lcd2 fazor Ed. The T60 have more clear mids and highs and less bass. When I get home tonight I will do a A/B comparison and give more detail.

May 22, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #321 of 1,451
I see... Well, the Brainwavz pads are not only cheaper, but also much easier for me to get in Greece. Still, if the situation permits it, I will elect to go for the ZMF ones, but it's good to have options. Thanks a lot mate!

The original Q1, the flask shaped one. So single-ended. :)
The brainwave sheepskin leather angled fit really good on my fostex t-xos from massdrop just saying a good choice IMO.

May 23, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #322 of 1,451
The brainwave sheepskin leather angled fit really good on my fostex t-xos from massdrop just saying a good choice IMO.
Great! Thanks a lot! Will keep an eye on them if I need to upgrade pads but can't get Dekoni or ZMF!

May 28, 2018 at 5:48 AM Post #323 of 1,451
Great looking headphones, that sound excellent out of my Keces S3

DSC_0398.jpg

May 29, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #324 of 1,451
Receiving mine tomorrow!

Can anyone compare to T50RP mk3 unmodded and/or LCD2-C?

Also is balanced worth it with them? 100€ for that cable I'd like to hear some opinions first. On a sidenote i never listened to anything balanced so far, but i do got an amp for it (Questyle CMA400i)

Cheers!

May 29, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #325 of 1,451
Receiving mine tomorrow!

Also is balanced worth it with them? 100€ for that cable I'd like to hear some opinions first. On a sidenote i never listened to anything balanced so far, but i do got an amp for it (Questyle CMA400i)

Cheers!

With the CMA400i I suggest getting the balanced cable. It outputs quite a bit more power that way which the RP drivers love.

May 30, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #326 of 1,451
Receiving mine tomorrow!

Cheers!
With time the price of the cable which is excessive will drop. Better spent the money on an ifi usb 3.0 (Nano is OK) to clean up the sewer water coming out of your USB source. Your power is not enough anyways (even with balanced) you will later buy a speaker amp. Audeze besides being unreliable and terrible service only sounds louder but unrefined and unfocused with more bass and hard mids and no treble. t50 Mk iii versus t60 is what I can tell you. A few pages back I showed the differences other than cable, pads and wood. They are two a) the thickness of the foam ring that is used in the bass reflex to adjust bass and the slit openings used to open the sound stage at the expense of bass and focus. The T60 with the T50 ring swapped sounds like a refined T50 especially at the extremes (treble, sub bass). One and a half slit open is almost perfect bass and focus with no decrease in soundstage. i have two 10 year old T50 MK II 's they still both sound fine
and the one that is in the enlarged Smeggy wooden chamber (twice as large as the T60 chamber) and wooden baffle outperforms it on all fronts.

Last edited:
May 30, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #327 of 1,451
With time the price of the cable which is excessive will drop. Better spent the money on an ifi usb 3.0 (Nano is OK) to clean up the sewer water coming out of your USB source. Your power is not enough anyways (even with balanced) you will later buy a speaker amp. Audeze besides being unreliable and terrible service only sounds louder but unrefined and unfocused with more bass and hard mids and no treble. t50 Mk iii versus t60 is what I can tell you. A few pages back I showed the differences other than cable, pads and wood. They are two a) the thickness of the foam ring that is used in the bass reflex to adjust bass and the slit openings used to open the sound stage at the expense of bass and focus. The T60 with the T50 ring swapped sounds like a refined T50 especially at the extremes (treble, sub bass). One and a half slit open is almost perfect bass and focus with no decrease in soundstage. i have two 10 year old T50 MK II 's they still both sound fine
and the one that is in the enlarged Smeggy wooden chamber (twice as large as the T60 chamber) and wooden baffle outperforms it on all fronts.
Thanks for your input. Im using optical from my motherboard to the Questyle CMA400i so no need for usb cleaning :p

Are you saying I should switch the T60RP foam ring with the older T50 foam ring? And close all but 1,5 slits (are you meaning the slits outside of the cups or inside the driver chamber-> https://imgur.com/0nt47zn )?

Mine just arrived now and they sound delicious. Really crystal clear, no distortion even at higher volumes and non fatiguing. Love the sound so far!

Last edited:
May 30, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #328 of 1,451
Heya, New on the forum here :)

Couple of question regarding T60RP earpads for those who have experienced them hands on.

Are those stuffed with memory foam? Is the material something "leather" like or leather?
How would these headphones react to thicker (driver further away from ear), still angled and leather pads from Brainwavz for example?

Cheers

May 31, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #329 of 1,451
Thanks for your input. Im using optical from my motherboard to the Questyle CMA400i so no need for usb cleaning :p

Are you saying I should switch the T60RP foam ring with the older T50 foam ring? And close all but 1,5 slits (are you meaning the slits outside of the cups or inside the driver chamber-> https://imgur.com/0nt47zn )?

Mine just arrived now and they sound delicious. Really crystal clear, no distortion even at higher volumes and non fatiguing. Love the sound so far!

Optical is only barely slightly cleaner, I used to do that. Once I installed ifi I finally made my Sony pha-3 sound like a WM1A or ZX300.
You do need the ifi usb 3.0 Nano. Bear in mind that the ifi micro DSD has a built in purifier like all high end DACS but still they all sound like mid-fi at best.

Yes that is what I am saying. The denser and the wider the foam ring used to block the mid and high frequency back wave the more bass and the more liquid the mid and treble because mid to high frequency reflections are filtered out but there is a sweat spot different from person to person as when the treble is reduced the bass may muddy the sound. Same with the slits left open it is a matter of a personal tuning to your taste. Just experiment and pick the configuration you like. Being RP (reference phase) means you can EQ or DSP quite a bit without affecting timbre. The Fostex has an uncanny ability to filter the flows the noise and the artifacts
and let the music through and that is what you hear now but try to compare your source with a Sony Walkman and you will see that what you are listening to is mid -fi then use the ifi USB and thank me later. If you have a speaker amp or receiver with more than 100W RMS/channel into 8 Ohms make an adapter and drive the phones straight out of the speaker terminals. That is take the SE output from your dac/amp to the line-in of your speaker amp/receiver and use the adapter on the pic to drive the phones from the speaker terminals.
adapters.jpg

Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #330 of 1,451
Optical is only barely slightly cleaner, I used to do that. Once I installed ifi I finally made my Sony pha-3 sound like a WM1A or ZX300.
You do need the ifi usb 3.0 Nano. Bear in mind that the ifi micro DSD has a built in purifier like all high end DACS but still they all sound like mid-fi at best.

Yes that is what I am saying. The denser and the wider the foam ring used to block the mid and high frequency back wave the more bass and the more liquid the mid and treble because mid to high frequency reflections are filtered out but there is a sweat spot different from person to person as when the treble is reduced the bass may muddy the sound. Same with the slits left open it is a matter of a personal tuning to your taste. Just experiment and pick the configuration you like. Being RP (reference phase) means you can EQ or DSP quite a bit without affecting timbre. The Fostex has an uncanny ability to filter the flows the noise and the artifacts
and let the music through and that is what you hear now but try to compare your source with a Sony Walkman and you will see that what you are listening to is mid -fi then use the ifi USB and thank me later. If you have a speaker amp or receiver with more than 100W RMS/channel into 8 Ohms make an adapter and drive the phones straight out of the speaker terminals. That is take the SE output from your dac/amp to the line-in of your speaker amp/receiver and use the adapter on the pic to drive the phones from the speaker terminals.

Vintage amps plus planars are matches made in headfi heaven

Users who are viewing this thread

Back