Fostex T60RP
May 12, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #1,351 of 1,450
You need the T60 they are awesome. I don’t find them hollow at all, but the 50’s are.

Maybe it’s the suede pads. I’m using the perforated accessory house pads and mayflower baffles.

Only mod I did was new pads and baffles and sound completely different and much better.

Last edited:
May 12, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #1,352 of 1,450
You need the T60 they are awesome. I don’t find them hollow at all, but the 50’s are.

Maybe it’s the suede pads. I’m using the perforated accessory house pads and mayflower baffles.

Only mod I did was new pads and baffles and sound completely different and much better.
I put thick pleather pads on mine. Can’t remember the make but they sound great.

May 12, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #1,353 of 1,450
I had the non perforated and too much bass but perforated were perfect.

May 17, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #1,354 of 1,450

After spending time with them I am very satisfied. They complement the Argon Mk3 very well. I am interested in trying the Xenon protein leather pads when they are back in stock.

May 31, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #1,356 of 1,450
How can I make the T60rp balanced? I recently got a balanced amplifier and am wondering if changing cables is all i need or do i need to mod the internal wiring?
The T60RP is already balanced. You just need a balanced cable. The cable type depends on whether you are using XLR, 4.4mm etc. termination to the headphone amplifier output.

May 31, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #1,357 of 1,450
The T60RP is already balanced. You just need a balanced cable. The cable type depends on whether you are using XLR, 4.4mm etc. termination to the headphone amplifier output.
My amp has a 4 pin XLR output so a XLR male on the amp end of the wire, but the end which goes into the t60rp headphones are small. Is this balanced? What size is this? I'm planning to get some good cables so don't want to mess the order. (I had bought these with single ended regular cables)

Last edited:
May 31, 2023 at 1:00 AM Post #1,358 of 1,450
My amp has a 4 pin XLR output so a XLR male on the amp end of the wire, but the end which goes into the t60rp headphones are small. Is this balanced? What size is this? I'm planning to get some good cables so don't want to mess the order. (I had bought these with single ended regular cables)
I believe the fitting going to the input jack on the T60rp is 3.5mm

May 31, 2023 at 6:24 AM Post #1,359 of 1,450
Happy Friday Fostex Friends!

I think I may be in a minority in that I quite like the stock tuning of the T60. My pair are about 4 years old now, I wouldn't say they are a regular in rotation, but whenever I take some time with them I always come back for more. I was struck today how much the wood color has darkened over the years. Below is a then and now picture of them, it's actually even darker in person... I feel like the sound has settle a bit over time as well, although they still creak like they did fresh from the box lol.
Bought my T60RP about a year ago and really enjoy them with some minor EQ adjustments. IMO they're a great headphone for the money.
Glad that you're enjoying yours!

May 31, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #1,360 of 1,450
How can I make the T60rp balanced? I recently got a balanced amplifier and am wondering if changing cables is all i need or do i need to mod the internal wiring?

Modular: https://hartaudiocables.com/products/hc-2-3-5mm-trrs

Non-modular: https://hartaudiocables.com/products/3-5mm-cable-for-fostex-t60rp

Just contact James at support and he will verify just what you need. They have great cables and fast shipping.

I got the modular cable by accident but wound up loving it for flexibility.

Last edited:
May 31, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #1,361 of 1,450
Jun 18, 2023 at 12:46 AM Post #1,362 of 1,450
Yeah, they need more power than my Beyer DT880 (600 Ohms)!:scream:
How do the t60's compare to the DT880 600 ohm?
I've seen someone say that the t60 is very similar to the 880, with slightly more bass. I've seen someone else say that the t60 is good for Metal music, but that the 880 is too bright, which makes them sound more like dissimilar headphones. Could you offer a third opinion?

Jun 18, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #1,363 of 1,450
How do the t60's compare to the DT880 600 ohm?
I've seen someone say that the t60 is very similar to the 880, with slightly more bass. I've seen someone else say that the t60 is good for Metal music, but that the 880 is too bright, which makes them sound more like dissimilar headphones. Could you offer a third opinion?
I liked the T60RP much more. It had bass and it was fun. Of course I had to go over the top and get them Argonized. I think a T60RP, especially on sale, is a lot of fun.

Whenever someone would ask me about the DT880 600 Ohm, my main response was always that it was a Huge value. While that's true, it shouldn't be the defining feature for a headphone. For me, it was kind of like my trip through HD600's, HD6XX's and HD660S's. Nice sounding headphones, but never really grabbed me.

I have actually thought about re-grabbing the T60RP's on sale or used. Good bit of bass, great price and they take bass boost like a champ. Pretty attractive too.

Jun 18, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #1,364 of 1,450
I liked the T60RP much more. It had bass and it was fun. Of course I had to go over the top and get them Argonized. I think a T60RP, especially on sale, is a lot of fun.

Whenever someone would ask me about the DT880 600 Ohm, my main response was always that it was a Huge value. While that's true, it shouldn't be the defining feature for a headphone. For me, it was kind of like my trip through HD600's, HD6XX's and HD660S's. Nice sounding headphones, but never really grabbed me.

I have actually thought about re-grabbing the T60RP's on sale or used. Good bit of bass, great price and they take bass boost like a champ. Pretty attractive too.
Aha, thank you. The chain I have my 880 in helps to keep it from sounding boring, and I'm treating it as my 'endgame' for detail. But I want something a touch more engaging, that can separate busy music a little better. The T60rp seems ideal, but I just wanted to make sure I'm not going to double up on too-similar sound signatures.

Jun 18, 2023 at 10:36 PM Post #1,365 of 1,450
Aha, thank you. The chain I have my 880 in helps to keep it from sounding boring, and I'm treating it as my 'endgame' for detail. But I want something a touch more engaging, that can separate busy music a little better. The T60rp seems ideal, but I just wanted to make sure I'm not going to double up on too-similar sound signatures.
They will not be similar. You do need a good strong amp though. While they are described as bassy, I found they really needed bass boost or EQ.
I Really liked them with my iFi Pro iCAN.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back