Fostex T60RP
Jun 18, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #1,366 of 1,463
They will not be similar. You do need a good strong amp though. While they are described as bassy, I found they really needed bass boost or EQ.
I Really liked them with my iFi Pro iCAN.
My amp is beefy :D and the back end is something that really should be feeding a speaker setup lol
I'm definitely getting 400mw @ 600 ohms, Class A, and the 880 just purrrrrs like a big muscle car. To be honest, that's part of what's pulling me to the t60... seeing how it sounds with all the voltage and current it can take there on tap.

Anyway, you've convinced me. And it'll be cheaper, and probably better performing than the alternatives I was looking at.

Jun 19, 2023 at 12:16 AM Post #1,367 of 1,463
Aha, thank you. The chain I have my 880 in helps to keep it from sounding boring, and I'm treating it as my 'endgame' for detail. But I want something a touch more engaging, that can separate busy music a little better. The T60rp seems ideal, but I just wanted to make sure I'm not going to double up on too-similar sound signatures.

I like the T60RP very much and IMO it's a bargain for what it offers. The wood cups are nice too. For what it is worth, one of my best experiences with inexpensive planars has been with the Hifiman HE4XX which are selling for under $100 new. Aside from some minor quality control issues the HE4XX has worked well for the past two years. I also find that with minor EQing I really do like its sound signature.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2023 at 12:31 AM Post #1,368 of 1,463
I like the T60RP very much and IMO it's a bargain for what it offers. The wood cups are nice too. For what it is worth, one of my best experiences with inexpensive planars has been with the Hifiman HE4XX which are selling for under $100 new. Aside from some minor quality control issues the HE4XX has worked well for the past two years. I also find that with minor EQing I really do like it's sound signature.
With Hifiman... I don't trust my luck. I understand that QC issues aren't universal... but mine would have em. That's what experience has taught me. I have to school myself not to be utterly cynical towards the entire audio industry, from manufacturers to shopfronts. I'll be glad when my setup is complete and I can rest easy for a while.

The only Hifiman I've considered is the HE-R9 JM OCD Extreme Spectacular Magnificent Ultra Camouflage Invisible Stealth Super Edition. Because then the cans will be driver matched and looked over by someone who cares.

Jun 19, 2023 at 8:05 AM Post #1,369 of 1,463
With Hifiman... I don't trust my luck. I understand that QC issues aren't universal... but mine would have em. That's what experience has taught me. I have to school myself not to be utterly cynical towards the entire audio industry, from manufacturers to shopfronts. I'll be glad when my setup is complete and I can rest easy for a while.

The only Hifiman I've considered is the HE-R9 JM OCD Extreme Spectacular Magnificent Ultra Camouflage Invisible Stealth Super Edition. Because then the cans will be driver matched and looked over by someone who cares.

These would indeed be the "Holy Grail" of headphones! 😊

Jun 20, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #1,370 of 1,463
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 12, 2023 at 5:10 AM Post #1,371 of 1,463
Just out of curiosity, I've tried a lot of different ear pads on my T60RP lately.
I came to the conclusion that native ear pads give the best sound.
I also concluded that leather is better for sound than velor. At least on these headphones, for sure.
And plenty of room for ears.
In general, t60rp are cool headphones.

Aug 12, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #1,372 of 1,463
The original ear pads suck. Thin clinical sound. Boost HF.

Aug 29, 2023 at 8:40 PM Post #1,373 of 1,463
Original ear pads are always better, even if you need an EQ.

The fact is that when developing ear cushions, the manufacturer takes into account that different users with different sound material will listen to the headphones. For example, a lot of bass, a lot of highs, a lot of mids, so the ear pads are made for specific headphones.

Any third-party ear pads are always a lottery.

Aug 29, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #1,374 of 1,463

The fact is that when developing ear cushions, the manufacturer takes into account that different users with different sound material will listen to the headphones. For example, a lot of bass, a lot of highs, a lot of mids, so the ear pads are made for specific headphones.

IME the T60RP is a very nice sounding headphone stock, that responds quite well to equalization. When I think about the prices of
some custom made wooden headphones that can run into thousands of dollars, the T60RP should be considered an incredible value.
I also agree that using the stock pads is a good idea if you are going to use EQ on the T60RP. It can be part of an end game system.

I also own a pair of T50RP MK3's that I like very much, but the T60RP sounds more refined and is clearly better constructed. IMO,
the T60RP is easily worth the difference in price over the T50RP MK3.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #1,375 of 1,463
1. Will the t50 pads fit? Looking at dekoni, they say a 110mm pad (circle shape) will fit a T50. But on brainwavz, the T50 composite pads is more like an oval (110mm x 90mm)

2. The connector at the headphone side, is it 4.4mm or 2.5mm?

Thanks

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #1,378 of 1,463
Last edited:
Oct 27, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #1,379 of 1,463

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #1,380 of 1,463

EQ is a no no. Sorry.

That is true (stock pads) for most headphones, but I don’t agree when it comes to the Fostex. They are poorly constructed and shaped. They use flat and thinly constructed pads that press your ears too close to the driver. When I got the T60 I was shocked how thin and treble boosted they sounded for a wood cup headphone.

As soon as I replaced them with a perforated thicker pad it really opened them up and refined the sound. The warmth came out of the wood cups and the treble was tamed. As well as the bass showing its presence.

I disagree, the stock pads are just awful unless you like tons of overblown detail and treble.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back