Fostex T50RP(LFF's Paradox) or Hifiman HE-400
Aug 10, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #18 of 51

The HE400 are better technically.  Faster with less resonance issues and less distortion in the bass.  Smoother treble by far, and smoother response in general, more natural sounding.  I'd go with the HE400 myself.

Is that what Rhythmdevil said?

Anyway, both the HE-400s and the LFF Paradox T50RPs are regarded as one of the top value/performance ratio cans out there today. I'm also very interested in how these two cans compare. Could someone step up to the plate, please? 
regular_smile .gif

Aug 10, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #19 of 51
Quote:

Is that what Rhythmdevil said?

Yeah, you can find it here (post #31 of 42):
http://www.head-fi.org/t/620343/beyerdynamic-t70p-vs-hifiman-he-400/30#post_8574555

Anyway, both the HE-400s and the LFF Paradox T50RPs are regarded as one of the top value/performance ratio cans out there today. I'm also very interested in how these two cans compare. Could someone step up to the plate, please? 
regular_smile%20.gif

I also found this one helpful too:

wje idea (http://www.head-fi.org/t/613576/mad-dog-by-mrspeakers-modified-fostex-t50rp-review/630)(post #632 of 639):
Quote:
Out of all the various Fostex T50 "mods" that I have heard, none have been more powerful than the HE-400.  The Fostex headphones, when modified properly - e.g. - flavors by Mad Dog, LFF, etc. feature different modification methods, yet I don't think one accels by a large margin over the next.  But, do keep in mind, they are pleasant headphones to listen to for extended periods.  The whole spectrum has to be taken into consideration.  For true bass heads, one should look elsewhere at other models.  Then again, I don't think that headphones that are designed for certain genres of music to be bass heavy are or should even be considered in the league of audiophiles.

Aug 11, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #20 of 51
It seems there is no one who have heard both of them and bumping does not help to get some more ideas. So I will go for HE-400.

Thanks to everyone who helped me with their replies.

Aug 11, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #21 of 51
Quote:
It seems there is no one who have heard both of them and bumping does not help to get some more ideas. So I will go for HE-400.

Thanks to everyone who helped me with their replies.

That is not fully correct.  I own the HE-400s and at a headphone event a few weeks ago, I heard the LFF Paradox, too.  Both headphones were listened to on my gear, my DAC / Amp, my music, etc.  I've posted observations.  Also, bumping a thread doesn't always work.  Consider that many are away on vacation.  During the summer time, this place does slow down a bit.

If you do opt for the HE-400, I think you're making a solid decision.  And, I say that with no disrespect to the Paradox, either.

Best of luck.

Edit: I even see that you quoted me from another thread, where I posted essentially the same information.  My opinion is still the same.  The Fostex TP50 modified headphones are not bass heavy headphones.  But, they are headphones that have a great frequency response and respond well to most genres of music.  If someone wants a true bass heavy phone, buy one of the Pioneer XBS series.  If you want audiophile-like sound, opt for the Fostex, or if you desire a bit more bass, go for the HE-400 by HifiMAN.

Aug 11, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #22 of 51
Quote:

That is not fully correct.  I own the HE-400s and at a headphone event a few weeks ago, I heard the LFF Paradox, too.  Both headphones were listened to on my gear, my DAC / Amp, my music, etc.  I've posted observations.  Also, bumping a thread doesn't always work.  Consider that many are away on vacation.  During the summer time, this place does slow down a bit.

If you do opt for the HE-400, I think you're making a solid decision.  And, I say that with no disrespect to the Paradox, either.

Best of luck.

Edit: I even see that you quoted me from another thread, where I posted essentially the same information.  My opinion is still the same.  The Fostex TP50 modified headphones are not bass heavy headphones.  But, they are headphones that have a great frequency response and respond well to most genres of music.  If someone wants a true bass heavy phone, buy one of the Pioneer XBS series.  If you want audiophile-like sound, opt for the Fostex, or if you desire a bit more bass, go for the HE-400 by HifiMAN.

Thank you for your reply.

But you made me worry about HE-400's bass response. I've heard it has an even response across the frequency range and it is slightly U shaped, but from your words I got a bad feeling that it is a bass heavy can. If it is bass heavy, it's not for me. I didn't like D2000 because of it's bass. But I don't like K701 bass too, it's quality is great but it doesn't have that amount of bass that I think is essential for a natural-sounding can. I want something with K701 bass quality, and a little bit more impact. Do you think HE-400 is right choice or not?

and also T50RP soundstage depth and width is better than HE-400 or not?

Thanks

Aug 11, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #23 of 51
Quote:

+1 this ^

Both the Paradox, HE-400 and Mad Dogs are extreme values. They perform much better than their counterparts. It comes down to your preferences. Neither choice is a bad one.

I preferred the 1. Mad Dog 2. Paradox. 3. HE-400. 

Aug 11, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #24 of 51
Quote:
Thank you for your reply.

But you made me worry about HE-400's bass response. I've heard it has an even response across the frequency range and it is slightly U shaped, but from your words I got a bad feeling that it is a bass heavy can. If it is bass heavy, it's not for me. I didn't like D2000 because of it's bass. But I don't like K701 bass too, it's quality is great but it doesn't have that amount of bass that I think is essential for a natural-sounding can. I want something with K701 bass quality, and a little bit more impact. Do you think HE-400 is right choice or not?

and also T50RP soundstage depth and width is better than HE-400 or not?

Thanks

See for yourself, note the bass FR (between 20 and 300 Hz) in each of these measurements:

LFF paradox:http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexT50RPDIYModifiedLFFParadox.pdf
MrSpeakers mad dog:http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/MrSpeakersMadDogA.pdf
AKG K701:http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK701.pdf
HFM HE400:http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE400.pdf

Aug 11, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #25 of 51
Quote:

Note that those Mad Dog measurements are for older bass lacking version as told by MrSpeakers himself.

Anyway, so it all boils down to bass? X has too little, Y has too much? How about just looking at the bigger picture and use little EQ on the bass as needed? But what would be the fun in that..

Aug 11, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #27 of 51
Quote:

I have the HE400s, and had the HE300s for about a week before giving it as a gift for my dad. Honestly there is a TREMENDOUS difference in audio fidelity going from HE300s to 400s. If I were to hear these cans in a blind test, I'd easily say the 400s are headphones that are worth double if not triple the price of the 300s (not to say the 300s are bad, if they are I would not have bought em for my dad, they just aren't nearly up to par to the 400s).

In relative terms:

300 bass is more bloated, with significantly less texture/growl, and extends less well
300's mids are rougher, with less mids detail, and worse timbre
300's imaging are much much worse (in separation and in 3D positioning), there's a huge discrepency here between the two headphone driver techs
300's treble is wildly less smooth and extends much much less than the 400's, also there's a mid-treble peak that is utterly absent in the 400's

On its own I quite like the 300's signature and voicing, it is probably one of the best $250 headphones you can get; but it is just so not close to how the HE400s perform man. Note that both are with velour pads when I compare tested them, the 300's had silver cable while the 400's had black canare cable (though swapping them made 0 difference).

This purchase and comparison made me realize just how much of a steal the 400's are.

Couldn't have said it better

Aug 11, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #28 of 51
Please note that I no longer use socks...lol...

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexT50RPDIYModifiedLFFnosocks.pdf

Aug 11, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #29 of 51
Quote:
Please note that I no longer use socks...lol...

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexT50RPDIYModifiedLFFnosocks.pdf

I was wondering what his graphs meant, exactly. Are they referring to the sock you used to help attach the ear pads to the headphone or something else?

Aug 11, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #30 of 51
Quote:

I was wondering what his graphs meant, exactly. Are they referring to the sock you used to help attach the ear pads to the headphone or something else?

He actually named it "the sock mod" before conjuring up the clever ring of the "paradox".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back