Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
Feb 17, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #2,281 of 2,832
This is what the real problem looks like, sorry about the crappy pictures.

http://www.head-fi.org/content/type/61/id/1819021/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
http://www.head-fi.org/content/type/61/id/1819022/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Thank you for the advice, I think ill practise soldering a bit before I try fixing the headphones.

Ah, that's a very easy fix :) Just need to heat the solder that's already on there back up, stick the wire back in and you're golden.

But practice is always a good thing :)

Feb 17, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #2,282 of 2,832
That is great news, I was hoping it wouldn't be too much of a hassle. I think I just need to get used to the soldering iron, before trying on the headphones. Thanks for all the advice, will post back once I have tried soldering the cable back on. I was just starting to get nice results from the mods too, hopefully I'll get it working again.

Feb 17, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #2,283 of 2,832
That is great news, I was hoping it wouldn't be too much of a hassle. I think I just need to get used to the soldering iron, before trying on the headphones. Thanks for all the advice, will post back once I have tried soldering the cable back on. I was just starting to get nice results from the mods too, hopefully I'll get it working again.

The global will generally stick to where it should no problem, so it's very straight forward, but of course always be careful about getting solder on other traces and things like those ones just below it, don't want anything shorting out:)

Feb 17, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #2,284 of 2,832
Wow, this thread is gigantic. Incredible first post! I bow down to the T50 Meister!

I just got my hands on a pair of fresh T50RP Mk3 and I was wondering if the mods are still doable before I void the warranty. Are Shure HPAEC840 still the way to go? After all, this thread is almost 5 years old.

Feb 17, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #2,286 of 2,832
Thanks, I have ordered the alcantara pads (50 €, ouch). Now I'm wondering if the T50rp can handle balanced cables with 4-pin termination. Is that connection type supported or would I have to re-wire the drivers (which I have no experience with)?

Feb 17, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #2,287 of 2,832
Thanks, I have ordered the alcantara pads (50 €, ouch). Now I'm wondering if the T50rp can handle balanced cables with 4-pin termination. Is that connection type supported or would I have to re-wire the drivers (which I have no experience with)?

Well depends on what you define as supported heh.

The drivers are soldered to the connectors that you have, so you will have to resolder them

Feb 18, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #2,288 of 2,832
Well depends on what you define as supported heh.

Some 'phones surprisingly support 4-pin connections by default. Like the Oppo PM-3 so you can just build yourself a balanced headphone cable without even touching the headphones themselves.
I guess some more effort will be needed for the Fostex, then. I am still wondering how I can make this look good.

I also want to replace the headband. I already bought the HD650 cushion pads but they look stupid on the default headband. Is there a recommendation to get? Just one that is compatible with the hinges but is not as broad as the default one.

Feb 18, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #2,289 of 2,832
The global will generally stick to where it should no problem, so it's very straight forward, but of course always be careful about getting solder on other traces and things like those ones just below it, don't want anything shorting out:)

Done soldering now, everything works again! 
dt880smile.png

Throwing in some pics of the few mods I've done so far, still experimenting with different things. I've added some acoustic foam to the back of the cups and in front of the driver on the earside. I also fully opened the vents in the cups which resulted in some pretty huge bass, which I have gotten somewhat under control by experimenting with different amounts of cotton and sealing part of the vents. Added ZMF lambskin pads and some extra headband padding. I must say these headphones are so much fun playing around with, it is just amazing how much some tinkering can affect the sound.

Feb 19, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #2,290 of 2,832
Some 'phones surprisingly support 4-pin connections by default. Like the Oppo PM-3 so you can just build yourself a balanced headphone cable without even touching the headphones themselves.
I guess some more effort will be needed for the Fostex, then. I am still wondering how I can make this look good.

I also want to replace the headband. I already bought the HD650 cushion pads but they look stupid on the default headband. Is there a recommendation to get? Just one that is compatible with the hinges but is not as broad as the default one.

Well there's a positive and negative on each driver, from they the right has the wires routed over the head band to the left cup, where it gets soldered onto the stereo Jack. 3 pole, one positive for each channel, and a common ground. I wouldn't say it "supports" anything, just just resolder how ever you want.

Feb 19, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #2,291 of 2,832
Done soldering now, everything works again! :dt880smile:  

Throwing in some pics of the few mods I've done so far, still experimenting with different things. I've added some acoustic foam to the back of the cups and in front of the driver on the earside. I also fully opened the vents in the cups which resulted in some pretty huge bass, which I have gotten somewhat under control by experimenting with different amounts of cotton and sealing part of the vents. Added ZMF lambskin pads and some extra headband padding. I must say these headphones are so much fun playing around with, it is just amazing how much some tinkering can affect the sound.

Looking good! It even surprised me how the smallest of changes effect sound massively. BMF is famous for saying he uses a rather accurate scale to measure the wait of fill for cotton

Feb 19, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #2,292 of 2,832
Done soldering now, everything works again! :dt880smile:  

Is that a mk3 baffle with a mk2 driver?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back