Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
May 18, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #2,161 of 2,832
@bluemonkeyflyer

If only @smeggy were here to see me trying to work UHMWC on my lathe.

I saw notes here and there that he had used it for baffles, so got some, and tried to turn it this morning. Schiit is like silly string flying everywhere as soon as you touch a blade to it...LMAO. Not giving up though. Will get back at it tomorrow again.

Making some more T50rp woodies. Will post pics when I am done if I remember to :).

May 18, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #2,162 of 2,832
  I've been looking around for some nice headphones that were cheap and sounded good. Was looking at some Audio Technica M50X but then I came across the T50rp and found out that they can be modded to sound like $500 headphones so I found some on Ebay for $70+sh. Listen to them for about a week and loved them now i modded them with the BMF 1.33 version (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgccbW6BXJY used this video) and I love them even more. lol. Just wanted to say thanks to BMF for doing this.

Not to sound like a snob but I think just about anything can be made to sound better than the M50x... there's a reason why people always say "They're better than Beats...." :)

May 18, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #2,164 of 2,832
  My brother ended up getting a pair so when he gets his i'll try those out for a little bit to see how i like those. I don't understand why the add beats to the convo? lol

I've heard several people compare them to Beats, coincidentally. Might just be the people I have around me. Just something I noticed. :)

May 18, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #2,166 of 2,832
I have a pair of the T50RP-MK3 (home) and T40RP-MK3 (work) and I went with the following mods:

Newplast on back of baffles
Dynamat Superlite at the bottom of the cups (leaving the vent area uncovered/unmodified)
More Dynamat over the top of the Newplast on the rear of the baffle
2mm closed cell foam over the Dynamat (cups and rear baffle)
On the ear side of the baffle, I used the stock foam as a template to cut some additional Dynamat Superlite.
No closed call foam used on the ear side of the baffle but put stock foam back in place before refitting earpads.
No wadding/cotton wool/anything else

After experimenting with various pads, I like the Alpha Dog pads best on the T40RP-MK3 and the Shure 1840 velours
on the T50RP-MK3.

I have tried the angled Brainwavz pleather on both but prefer the options above. I also have some 1540 alcantara pads on order which should hopefully arrive early June.

Both seem pretty balanced to my ears with no treble spikes and tight plentiful bass.

Thanks

Gavin

May 25, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #2,169 of 2,832
Maybe Zach @ ZMF.

I think all of the ZMFs maintain the stock baffle, the cups are replaced on the Vibro and Omni but not sure about the baffle.  

Mr. Speakers would have a bunch of Mk. 2 baffles but he never switched over to the Mk3 T50.  Might not hurt to ask though as he may have some from testing or something.  

May 25, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #2,170 of 2,832
  I think all of the ZMFs maintain the stock baffle, the cups are replaced on the Vibro and Omni but not sure about the baffle.  

Mr. Speakers would have a bunch of Mk. 2 baffles but he never switched over to the Mk3 T50.  Might not hurt to ask though as he may have some from testing or something.  

I specifically don't want the MK 2 baffle because of the lack of a cup lip. 

May 25, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #2,171 of 2,832
I'm pretty sure I've got extra parts lying around. If anyone in Canada needs anything, just drop me a line and I'll send them out for the cost of shipping.

edit: mk2, not mk3

May 27, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #2,174 of 2,832
Hi All,

Just finished some Wenge cups and baffles, and thought I would share process pictures in the interests of community knowledge. This stuff was done in my extremely messy garage with a benchtop lathe and an assortment of other tools (nothing crazy...chisels, drill press, Skil-Saw mounted on a little worktable that acts as a table-saw, sandpaper, and light cursing).

My next pair will have baffles made with UHMWC.

May 27, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #2,175 of 2,832
  Hi All,

Just finished some Wenge cups and baffles, and thought I would share process pictures in the interests of community knowledge. This stuff was done in my extremely messy garage with a benchtop lathe and an assortment of other tools (nothing crazy...chisels, drill press, Skil-Saw mounted on a little worktable that acts as a table-saw, sandpaper, and light cursing).

My next pair will have baffles made with UHMWC.

T

These are for me right Bruce??   ♫

Users who are viewing this thread

Back