Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
Dec 13, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #1,456 of 2,832
Interesting. Did you polish them or just a straight print? Also, where can I download the file?
The LCD2 crowd will be very interested in these. :)
Grzegorz stepped up and made it happen! His LCD2 v1 Wave Guides work great.

The Wave Guides were 3D printed by Shapeways.com for $29.00 for a set of 4.

I made measurements of LCD2 v1 Stock, with Rear Side Wave Guides, and with Rear Side + Ear Side Wave Guides.

Listening impressions and measurements will follow in a couple of days.

The Rear Side Wave Guides were a perfect Drop-In and friction mounted with stock thick felt over the wave guides, stock foam over felt, and metal grilles over foam.

The Ear Side Wave Guides had to be rotated 180 degrees, corners snipped to fit, and secured with hot glue.

Next up...Wave Guides for Fostex T50RP by none other than Grzegorz, "The G-Man."

4 Wave Guides by Grzegorz

LCD2 v1 Rear Side with stock thick felt, foam, and grille removed

Rear Side Wave Guide drops in and fits perfectly by friction mounting

Stock thick felt over Wave Guide on the Rear Side

LCD2 v1 with stock foam over stock thick felt over rear 
side Wave Guide

Ear Side of LCD2 v1 with pad removed

Inverted Wave Guide with corners snipped to fit.
Secured in place with a bead of hot glue around the edges.
The pad goes over this mounted with double-sided tape.

Dec 13, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #1,457 of 2,832
Interesting. Did you polish them or just a straight print? Also, where can I download the file?
The LCD2 crowd will be very interested in these.
smily_headphones1.gif

Here,

https://sketchfab.com/models/2ad2680119914de69ab8fb7dfeaedd28#share

Dec 13, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #1,458 of 2,832
I don't have different felt, should I punch holes in this adhesive one or just go buy different stuff?

I'd use something else, holes would force the air to flow with a certain, unintended pattern which could cause distortion. I think that adhesive felt was meant to line the walls or something, try removing the glue with acetone if you want to put it on the back.

Dec 13, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #1,459 of 2,832
I'd use something else, holes would force the air to flow with a certain, unintended pattern which could cause distortion. I think that adhesive felt was meant to line the walls or something, try removing the glue with acetone if you want to put it on the back.

Ok, thank you. I guess the Mayflower mods don't include damping the back of the driver, because they included moth soft and firm felt, both with adhesive backs, but market the kit as complete for doing the popular mods.

Dec 13, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #1,460 of 2,832
The LCD2 crowd will be very interested in these.
smily_headphones1.gif

Here,

https://sketchfab.com/models/2ad2680119914de69ab8fb7dfeaedd28#share

ZGLISZCZ/Grzegorz was generous with his time and efforts prototyping Wave Guides for my Audeze LCD2 v1. The only change needed for the wave guides to fit as perfectly on the Ear Side as on the Rear Side would be to make 2 notches for the screws at the top and 1 notch for the screw at the bottom. They still work with minor alterations as shown in the pictures I uploaded.

In addition to the .OBJ file in the link, above, you can use the link, below, that will take you shapeways <.> com for finished wave guides. Shapeways offerred the fastest service and best price = $7.30 X 4 = $28.90 for a set of 4 when I ordered. Prices may fluctuate over time. You can try other 3D companies by downloading the sketchfab .OBJ file and uploading it to various companies, such as sculpteo <.> com, to compare prices.

Grzegorz's LCD2 v1 Wave Guides from Shapeways came "rough." I did not pay for the optional polishing service but they arrived quite smooth. I very lightly sanded them with ultra fine grit sandpaper.

Here is the link for buying the finished LCD2 v1 Wave Guides I ordered: 
shapeways <.> com where you can order the finished wave guides for LCD2 v1.  

*** If you buy from another company, Make sure to check the dimensions before you place your order. The dimensions should be: 77 mm x 3.8 mm x 56 mm.***

For those of you with access to a 3D printer, you can download the .OBJ file and make your own for almost nothing. Anyone with access to a 3D printer, please contact me about getting another set. :)

Note:
1. You will need to trim the Ear Side Wave Guide corners as shown in the pictures I uploaded, above.
2. I secured the Ear Side Wave Guides with a bead of hot glue all the way around.
3. I don't know for sure but suspect they will work with LCD2 v2.
4. LCD2 v2 owners should measure their headphones and compare to the measurements of my LCD2 v1 posted in this thread, Before ordering.

What about the sound? The Wave Guides improved the sound quality of my LCD2 v1 by providing better imaging and offerring more micro details. The midrange retains its wonderful lushness and clairity. Their benchmark bass impact, extension, texture and speed remain unchanged. Each person must try it and judge for themself. It's an inexpensive experiment even if you order them from a 3D printing service. 

I look forward to trying ZGLISZCZ's T50RP wave guides.

Kudos and Many Thanks to Grzegorz!

~ BMF

Dec 13, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #1,461 of 2,832
Hi Keith,
Its really nice to read that. Guys give me one moment and I will trim 3d file so there wont be need to cut corners for ear side. And I will reupload it. Keith you didn't glue them on rear side? Aren't they vibrate? 

Dec 13, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #1,462 of 2,832
Ok, thank you. I guess the Mayflower mods don't include damping the back of the driver, because they included moth soft and firm felt, both with adhesive backs, but market the kit as complete for doing the popular mods.

That would be very surprising, as the stock driver needs some damping to flatten the mids. Many materials will work, just be systematic and avoid changing many things at once.

Dec 13, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #1,463 of 2,832
  Hi Keith,
Its really nice to read that. Guys give me one moment and I will trim 3d file so there wont be need to cut corners for ear side. And I will reupload it. Keith you didn't glue them on rear side? Aren't they vibrate? 

Grzegorz,

Yes, your Wave Guides changed the graphs and the sound in a favorable way, IMO. Congrats!

If you modify the Ear Side Wave Guides, you basically have to reverse the screw notches.

No, I did not have to glue the Rear Side Wave Guides in place. They simply dropped in and there was enough friction to hold them in place. Also, the stock felt and foam added a bit of pressure so there is no vibration.

K

Dec 13, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #1,465 of 2,832
Very nice, and thanks!

Dec 13, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #1,466 of 2,832
Looking forward to the T50RP version! Simple cheap reversible mod could have a profound change. Im assuming it would be more noticeable on the Fostex then on the near perfection of the LCD 2s. (Hopefully)

EDIT: Isn't the "RP" tech on the T50Rps mean regulated phase? Is that similar to the tech in Audeze phaser tech? Although I may be mixing up my lingo.....

Dec 14, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #1,467 of 2,832
... It would be helpful to see some of your measurements of stock headphones to better appreciate this graph...
Thanks!

Here are some comparative measurements based on a purchased Mayflower T50RPs.
Graphs are those of stock T50RP,  Sennheiser HD600, Mayflower T50RP (came with (p)leather HM5 pads) and that of the Mayflower set using my own pads (StratoPads), which are modded HM5 velour pads.

These graphs (aligned at 1kHz) compare my Open T50RP StratoPad set with the closed Mayflower StratoPad version and the HD600.

Dec 14, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #1,468 of 2,832
EDIT: Isn't the "RP" tech on the T50Rps mean regulated phase? Is that similar to the tech in Audeze phaser tech? Although I may be mixing up my lingo.....

-Regulated Phase is another name for orthodynamic, which in turn is sort of a Yamaha term for isodynamic in general. Isodynamic essentially= Regulated Phase.  Someone correct me if that's in error.
 Might have had something to do with copyrighted terminology for the same basic design at the time. Linear Drive was another name some companies used also.

-Interesting stuff thanks for those graphs :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back