Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
Dec 11, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #1,441 of 2,832
  Grzegorz stepped up and made it happen! His LCD2 v1 Wave Guides work great.

The Wave Guides were 3D printed by Shapeways.com for $29.00 for a set of 4.

I made measurements of LCD2 v1 Stock, with Rear Side Wave Guides, and with Rear Side + Ear Side Wave Guides.

Listening impressions and measurements will follow in a couple of days.

The Rear Side Wave Guides were a perfect Drop-In and friction mounted with stock thick felt over the wave guides, stock foam over felt, and metal grilles over foam.

The Ear Side Wave Guides had to be rotated 180 degrees, corners snipped to fit, and secured with hot glue.

Next up...Wave Guides for Fostex T50RP by none other than Grzegorz, "The G-Man."

4 Wave Guides by Grzegorz

LCD2 v1 Rear Side with stock thick felt, foam, and grille removed

Rear Side Wave Guide drops in and fits perfectly by friction mounting

Stock thick felt over Wave Guide on the Rear Side

LCD2 v1 with stock foam over stock thick felt over rear 
side Wave Guide

Ear Side of LCD2 v1 with pad removed

Inverted Wave Guide with corners snipped to fit.
Secured in place with a bead of hot glue around the edges.
The pad goes over this mounted with double-sided tape.

No loss in the low-end ? Then I guess the Fazor driver upgrade caused this perceived change in the low-end some report on F model Audeze and not due to the Fazors themselves.
2.1's....deep dark chocolate...yummy.

Dec 12, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #1,442 of 2,832
Hey does anyone have any tips or a process to getting hm5 pads onto the t50rp. I'm having a lot of trouble trying to get it over. I stretched it out for a day and it looks ALMOST big enough but i feel like i'm missing the special technique or something.

Dec 12, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #1,445 of 2,832
  Damn. I heard that vmf or someone uses the hm5 leather pads on theirs so i thought it would be manageable. Should I just get the 840s then...? I tried on my brothers 840's and i didn't enjoy the pads that much

Search the threads for micmacmo and his innertube pad flap mods for HM5 and FA-003 pads. They work great. Easy to put on and take off. Won't rip or tear. Make a perfect pad to cup seal. Add the necessary damping ingredients and enjoy good sound and better comfort than Shure 840s.

Dec 12, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #1,447 of 2,832
Just did my first mods to the T50RP, but the bass has up and gone away. Wondering what happened. Got the Mayflower mod kit and did the following mods:

- filled driver baffles with Newplast.
- Silverstone strips on left/right sides of the cup floor.
- stiff felt on the center strip of the cup floor, left existing felt over bass vents alone.
- stiff felt square over back of driver.
- filled cup cavity with rolled cotton.
- HiFiMAN pleather pads from HE-400.

Treble is strong and bass is recessed. Is there something I missed?

Dec 12, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #1,450 of 2,832
  Can you save me the trouble of looking for the post and link it? :)

The location of the mod has changed since I originally posted it (darn that google).
Here's the location it now resides at...
https://plus.google.com/109082108141353641215/posts/GR5QRgMANZa

Dec 12, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #1,452 of 2,832
You may have put too much resistance (cotton) between the driver and the cup vents, try leaving a gap where the vents are located to see if it helps.

Ok, I'll give that a try. I did try removing all the cotton from on elf the cups, but that made it even worse. I'm wondering if the stiff felt on the back of the driver should be soft felt instead, or removed. Or if I need to take off the felt over the vents and do the card stock square with the bass port. SO many variations.

Dec 13, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #1,453 of 2,832
I don't think the stiff felt is overdamping the driver, it usually takes more than that to kill the bass (unless it is one of the adhesive ones, the glue would suffocate the driver). You can play with similar materials to find what you like (micropore paper, disposable cloth towels, arctic cotton, microfiber cloth, etc), I don't think the actual material matters more than the resistance it imparts on airflow in combination with the absorption materials (cotton, foams, fiberglass, etc). An underdamped driver sounds midbass-y and dark, lacking definition. An overdamped driver sounds compressed, bright, and lacks body.

Dec 13, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #1,455 of 2,832
I cut away the rolled cotton in front of the vents and it helped a little. The felt that comes with the Mayflower kit is indeed the adhesive backed kind, so that was probably suffocating the driver. I just removed the felt for the time being, and the bass came back, although it does seem a bit bloated and sloppy. I don't have different felt, should I punch holes in this adhesive one or just go buy different stuff?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back