Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
Nov 22, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #811 of 2,858
Sometimes I'll also tie the wire in a knot inside the cup, so the knot is larger than the hole. This too will prevent pullout.

Nov 22, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #812 of 2,858
Decided to install mini xlr connectors. They fit pretty well in the corner of the cup, and don't negatively affect the sound to my ears.. Then again, it could and I just had too much time pass since listening to them to tell.. Whatever.. This will help to stabilize that bad soldering (which is miraculously still holding fine). They feel classier, also. Only thing possibly left to do is paint. :)

Nov 23, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #814 of 2,858
  Sometimes I'll also tie the wire in a knot inside the cup, so the knot is larger than the hole. This too will prevent pullout.

also secure that with silicone or something to stop it riding up inside more if possible.

Nov 23, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #815 of 2,858

also secure that with silicone or something to stop it riding up inside more if possible.

Hot glue is my friend...

Nov 23, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #816 of 2,858
Thank you very much nick n for posting the picture of my driver repair...

(in that post i said i used copper wire... it is actually motor or transformer wire)

To answer to BobSaysHi is in my picture of the repair...

You have to very carefully scratch and find the trace and then solder on it carefully...

Secure your wire of choice initially with superglue (instant cyanoacrylic type) and once sure yuor driver is working proceed with hot glue...

I have also palced mini xlr's and and Alpha Pands

If someone (nick n) can help with my pictures it would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Nov 24, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #818 of 2,858
SHURE HPAEC840 Ear pads still pretty much the go-to choice if you are using original cups ?
I had narrowed down my pads to LCD-2 or these. I will have to put a velour strip around the rim contact to the ear only as trying leather or pleather is just too wet for where I live. I'm hoping to get away with the thinnest strip of velour possible so as not to soak up bass too much....
basshead.gif

Nov 24, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #819 of 2,858
Chris1967 I will get those posted as soon as I restart my computer it's not showing anything , probably a glitch here, had other issues also today. Tomorrow will do that up.

Nov 24, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #820 of 2,858
Thank you very much nick! they are the forum embedding codes from imageshack, if you have difficulties, i can send you or post the picture links...

Thanks again

Nov 24, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #821 of 2,858
yeah no luck here if you message me the actual direct links I can take care of it.

Nov 24, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #822 of 2,858
I uploaded two new videos to Google Drive:

1. "Disassembling Fostex T50RP_T40RP mkII_T20RP mkII For Repairs and Driver Modification"

2. "Radical Russian Roulette' Driver Modification"

Warning: They are Long, running ~ 18 minutes, each.

You will find them near the Top of Post #1 in this thread under the heading: 
"
Incremental Mods and Measurements REW .mdat files and Videos stored in Google Docs"

If nothing else, they should work great for those frustrating, sleepless nights.   
wink.gif

Credits:  Here is the LINK to the Russian Modification Site (player.ru) where I found the original post by 'SGS' - See post 211.

Here is the LINK to the Russian to English translation by 'nevod' - See post 4383.

Nov 24, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #823 of 2,858
  I have a very basic doubt.

How do I attach the pads to the Fostex?

Scotch double sided tape?

Any pictures will be helpful.

For easily installing pads, watch the last 90 seconds of Video #1 described, above, and at this LINK.

Nov 25, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #824 of 2,858
^^Thanks bluemonkeyflyer. I was looking to the get the Fa-003 pads. But if they are hellish I'll probably get the Shure 840 or 940pads just for convenience sakes.

Nov 25, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #825 of 2,858
^^Thanks bluemonkeyflyer. I was looking to the get the Fa-003 pads. But if they are hellish I'll probably get the Shure 840 or 940pads just for convenience sakes.

FA-003 pads must be over-stretched to use withT50RP, so much so they tend to rip. I have several on hand from Billy at Noisymotel dot com. Very nice fellow, btw.

I use double side adhesive that comes in a 3 x 3 feet sheet, making custom shapes possible, and tape them on; and easy off. Note that changing the shape and tension of pads changes the sound FR and resonant frequency just as using different density foam, pleather, leather, and velour.

Search the Wow T50RP thread for micmacmo's FA-003 inner tube flap mod. This works great for durability and easy on/off. He has a detailed tutorial showing how to make your own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back