Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
Nov 13, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #767 of 2,859
  I tried, but I couldn't fit the whole ewe in the cups... 

Guess the word synthetic got lost in the translation.
wink_face.gif

I'm dead serious get over to a dollar store and grab one of those car polishing mits. You can trim this stuff down to tune with. It teases wonderfullyand doesn't rot or compress over time.

Nov 13, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #768 of 2,859
Creatogy has a recent product called pulled felt or wool-felt it's a bug fuzzy carded type of the typical thing craft felt.  lots of coloured feathers there also.

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #769 of 2,859
  Creatogy has a recent product called pulled felt or wool-felt it's a bug fuzzy carded type of the typical thing craft felt.  lots of coloured feathers there also.

That anything like pulled pork?

Nov 13, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #770 of 2,859
Nov 13, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #772 of 2,859
It's a common mistake to put the entire egg in. Separate the yolk and use the whites only as they will stiffen as the sound vibrates air into them. The yolks may be used to improved the dielectric in the wires, but some feel the sound becomes too runny so YMMV. 

Nov 13, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #773 of 2,859
  It's a common mistake to put the entire egg in. Separate the yolk and use the whites only as they will stiffen as the sound vibrates air into them. The yolks may be used to improved the dielectric in the wires, but some feel the sound becomes too runny so YMMV. 

How does one maintain the correct tension on whites?

Nov 13, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #774 of 2,859
The usual method is to run a sine wave as this induces simple harmonic vibration in the driver. The exact frequency and amplitude will vary on the individual driver. Higher frequencies will beat air in faster, and larger amplitudes bring in larger bubbles, but you don't want to overdo it or the whites will destabilize and collapse. 

Nov 14, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #775 of 2,859
  The usual method is to run a sine wave as this induces simple harmonic vibration in the driver. The exact frequency and amplitude will vary on the individual driver. Higher frequencies will beat air in faster, and larger amplitudes bring in larger bubbles, but you don't want to overdo it or the whites will destabilize and collapse. 

Ah but if you overdo that you wind up with a pair of foam pads
eek.gif

Nov 14, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #776 of 2,859
Which... if you're wearing at the time, guarantees a perfect seal around your head to produce better bass response!

Nov 14, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #778 of 2,859
My bad, I forgot to mention that you're supposed to save the eggshells and toss those around for the cat. 

Nov 15, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #779 of 2,859
  Wonderfully detailed post.  I was looking at your profile and musical tastes.  We do share a lot in common regarding that.  I think you might enjoy exploring Música Popular Brasileira (MPB).  I got into Bossa Nova via Stan Getz and Astrud Gilberto.  However, Elis Regina took vocals to a whole other level.  She could sing Bossa Nova with the best of them (Astrud's specialty).  In fact, she did an album with "Tom" Jobim which is considered a definitive Bossa Nova album.  But her voice could soar to the stratosphere in other genres as well.  She often sang Ivan Lin's songs, but she was really very unique.  Called the "little pepper' or "little tornado," she sang with passion.  There are other artists, both male and female, that you can explore.

Another great Brazilian singer and guitarist is Rosa Passos, just recently became aware of her work while researching Ron Carter, the great Jazz bassist. Her soft and seductive style is wonderfully represented on the album "Entre Amigos", with Carter on acoustic bass. It is on the Chesky label and small samplings are available on HD Tracks. Very much in the Bossa Nova genre and similar to the other artists you and BMF have mentioned. Entre Amigos is one of my "go to" albums to evaluate vocals and acoustic music on headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back