Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
Apr 12, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #2,686 of 2,832
Hey, I have owned a set of T50RPMK3 for a couple years now. They were the first non-budget headphones from when I was first getting into audio, picked them up second hand. I was sort of dimly aware of a buzz in the right driver, which has become more annoying as my ear has become more discerning. I fitted a Mayflower modkit as well, which improved the sound but the buzzing never went away. It now seems pretty clear to me after a bunch of reading that I must have a deformed diaphragm. When I play the "bass shaker" test on audiocheck.net, it's comical how obvious the rattle is.

I have had some really good times with these headphones but I am now at a point where I am constantly listening out for the rattling noise whenever I use them, and they just sit on my shelf. I am considering selling them as faulty but I would rather try to fix them and maybe just make a bit of a project out of modding them some more after seeing all the inspiration in this thread.. but I would really need to do something about the driver first.

So, I'm here to ask what I can do about it.. Is it possible to purchase replacement diaphragms? Or whole drivers even? Or could I somehow fix the deformation in my diaphragm? I am willing to try pretty much anything at this point as I don't really use the headphones and I doubt I would get much money for selling them as faulty.

Thanks!

May 11, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #2,688 of 2,832
@Luke
Hey, I have owned a set of T50RPMK3 for a couple years now. They were the first non-budget headphones from when I was first getting into audio, picked them up second hand. I was sort of dimly aware of a buzz in the right driver, which has become more annoying as my ear has become more discerning. I fitted a Mayflower modkit as well, which improved the sound but the buzzing never went away. It now seems pretty clear to me after a bunch of reading that I must have a deformed diaphragm. When I play the "bass shaker" test on audiocheck.net, it's comical how obvious the rattle is.

I have had some really good times with these headphones but I am now at a point where I am constantly listening out for the rattling noise whenever I use them, and they just sit on my shelf. I am considering selling them as faulty but I would rather try to fix them and maybe just make a bit of a project out of modding them some more after seeing all the inspiration in this thread.. but I would really need to do something about the driver first.

So, I'm here to ask what I can do about it.. Is it possible to purchase replacement diaphragms? Or whole drivers even? Or could I somehow fix the deformation in my diaphragm? I am willing to try pretty much anything at this point as I don't really use the headphones and I doubt I would get much money for selling them as faulty.

Thanks!

Press in the side and see does it clear up. Might be the screw on the side.

May 11, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #2,689 of 2,832
Thanks for the kind review, and I'm glad you're enjoying Earphone!

There is a whole bunch of T50 modders would appreciate those vibrolab files here. :beerchug::k701smile:

Last edited:
May 12, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #2,690 of 2,832
Here my finished "woodies". I reworked the whole headphone. It is based on a T20 v2, so round drivers, and theoretically better sound than the square ones. At least someone told me that, but I'd like to hear from an expert here if this is true.

I corrected the issues I had before, which was the "cuppy" sound and the fit. I added a leather pad under the headband and painted the metal connectors in matte black. I could buy this headphone for 500$+ to be honest!

The headphone sounds quite smooth, detailed and warm at the same time. The bass can dig low if played in isolation, but will not shake your head on hip-hop tracks. I have a vintage amp on my desktop with tone control for bass and if raised by 5db they will get bass-y but with quite some bleed into the midrange. Guitars and voices sound extra sweet, drums are smooth and contribute to a deep soundstage I haven't heard in my other headphones before.

Feel free to ask me anything!

IMG_20200429_202408.jpg

Last edited:
May 12, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #2,691 of 2,832
Here my finished "woodies". I reworked the whole headphone. It is based on a T20 v2, so round drivers, and theoretically better sound than the square ones. At least someone told me that, but I'd like to hear from an expert here if this is true.

I corrected the issues I had before, which was the "cuppy" sound and the fit. I added a leather pad under the headband and painted the metal connectors in matte black. I could buy this headphone for 500$+ to be honest!

The headphone sounds quite smooth, detailed and warm at the same time. The bass can dig low if played in isolation, but will not shake your head on hip-hop tracks. I have a vintage amp on my desktop with tone control for bass and if raised by 5db they will get bass-y but with quite some bleed into the midrange. Guitars and voices sound extra sweet, drums are smooth and contribute to a deep soundstage I haven't heard in my other headphones before.

Feel free to ask me anything!

IMG_20200429_202408.jpg

Gorgeous work. What wood did you use, and did you make baffles as well?

May 13, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #2,693 of 2,832
Gorgeous work. What wood did you use, and did you make baffles as well?
Thanks a lot mate!

This is 3D printed with wood mixed into the filament. Most of the work went into sanding, polishing and applying varnish to it.

The baffles are stock because the driver is pretty much set into them and I was afraid of breaking something. But I modified the way they're mounted to the cups, so that I can install the earpads under them. The stock T20s accept only earpads on top / around but I don't like how it looks.

May 13, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #2,694 of 2,832
Thanks a lot mate!

This is 3D printed with wood mixed into the filament. Most of the work went into sanding, polishing and applying varnish to it.

The baffles are stock because the driver is pretty much set into them and I was afraid of breaking something. But I modified the way they're mounted to the cups, so that I can install the earpads under them. The stock T20s accept only earpads on top / around but I don't like how it looks.

Whoa! That's 3D printing? That's awesome :D

May 15, 2020 at 1:07 AM Post #2,696 of 2,832
I wonder could we find talented people to design a wood cup and 3d printed parts to make a open source design. Something we could take to a local shop and have made with our own wood.

Much in the vein of how Mr.Speakers made the Alpha Dog an open source headphone for the community. This might be doable considering cnc and 3d printers are are the rage and there are many talented designers.

Jul 18, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #2,698 of 2,832
Would a hugo2 have enough power for these headphones?

Jul 18, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #2,700 of 2,832
Definitely enough power
Cool thanks. I notice modhouse website is down these days. What are the essential mods that I can do myself?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back