Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
Nov 24, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #2,491 of 2,832
Hi all,

I'm adding in a custom set of connectors to my T50s. What kind of internal wires do you guys suggest that replace the original ones? I don't want to attempt to salvage the original wires, and would rather use a new wire from jack > driver.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Dec 1, 2018 at 1:20 AM Post #2,492 of 2,832
Does anyone have a CNC machine here or have access to one? The reason I asked is because 3dshubs has a CNC machina but MAN OH MAN, prices are through the roof! I not making mine out of wood or alloy, I am making mine outta carbon fibre because of its sonic properties and also its weight.

Dec 1, 2018 at 1:52 AM Post #2,493 of 2,832
Yes, preferably permanently attach to the driver so there arent any gaps. Mine now holds tightly withouth any glue, for now.
The distance between your ear and the driver can change a sound a lot. But you also need to consider which pads are you gonna use as they can make the gap even bigger.
I´m using HM5 Hybrids, but they make the sound really sharp without some front damping. Also I use mk3 driver which reflects more highs.. I am considering different pads now.
Well I think there is an option without changing pads but I do not really recommend doing it. You could try to search for a more porous white felt. The main difference between the mk2 and the mk3 is the back wave driver felt, the felt on the mk3 is less porous then then the mk2 hence reflecting more highs. Oh and you could ask a head fier if you could buy an Alpha pad for like 25-30 bucks.

EDIT: This mod will also increase the 1k area and also the bass would increase so try out multiple materials and densities to find your sweet spot.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #2,494 of 2,832
anyone know where to buy a new driver for the t50rp, on my right side the wire came loose and I tried to solder back on and it sucked all the solder off. now I cant make a connection

Dec 17, 2018 at 5:16 AM Post #2,495 of 2,832
anyone know where to buy a new driver for the t50rp, on my right side the wire came loose and I tried to solder back on and it sucked all the solder off. now I cant make a connection
Contact your local Fostex distributour, they should be able to order the driver difrectly from manifacturer. I bought one last year this way.

Dec 17, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #2,497 of 2,832
I tried all night to solder to this f'n thing. Omg it so frustrating. There is no bare spot to solder too. I only found one place selling the driver and its almost 50 bucks. I would rather save some more money to spend the extra and buy new pair.

Dec 17, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #2,498 of 2,832
Contact your local Fostex distributour, they should be able to order the driver difrectly from manifacturer. I bought one last year this way.
If you dont mind me asking, what did it cost ya?

Dec 17, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #2,499 of 2,832
Dec 23, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #2,501 of 2,832
hi,

i´m a beginner in modding. one question regarding the mk3. i want a comfortable headphone with great soundstage and sweet highs, bass as mids not boosted.
with which mod should i begin with?

after reading a lot and watching Zeos comparsion mk3 vs argon i tought that argon mod should be fine, but i cant find a tutorial to build it by myself.

i´ve read the first post. it´s awesome and overwhelming. may some can get me a shove in the right direction.

cheers,
Reinhold

Dec 23, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #2,502 of 2,832
So after searching and emailing with no responce, i still havent located another driver. Maybe cause of the holidays. So I broke down and bought a new pair of tx0 off ebay. Ill be shipping these out to modhouse when they get here. Screw trying to do it myself again.ill save my old ones and still hunt down a driver.

There is no argon tutorial. Maybe one day when ryan gives up modding he will post it.

Dec 27, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #2,503 of 2,832
hi,

after reading a lot and watching Zeos comparsion mk3 vs argon i tought that argon mod should be fine, but i cant find a tutorial to build it by myself.

i´ve read the first post. it´s awesome and overwhelming. may some can get me a shove in the right direction.

cheers,
Reinhold

I would like to know this as well. If anyone has a link to an explanation of the Argon mod. I have some heavily moded mk3's that need a change up, and a set of open alphas that just arn't what I expected. Also what amp's are people using? I have a Fiio e18k that can do about 350 mW. I feel like it isn't enough to do the mods justice. Almost like they are gasping for more power.

Dec 27, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #2,504 of 2,832
I would like to know this as well. If anyone has a link to an explanation of the Argon mod. I have some heavily moded mk3's that need a change up, and a set of open alphas that just arn't what I expected. Also what amp's are people using? I have a Fiio e18k that can do about 350 mW. I feel like it isn't enough to do the mods justice. Almost like they are gasping for more power.

I don't know what the argon mod is but I'm wondering if it would be malicious to post details about it? Very fine line there.

Would be nice to know how similar to the mayflower mods it is.
Argons are noted to have bigger sound stage and voiced bassy/slightly dark. I have not heard them.

Can't imagine the mods are anything but finely tuned versions or combinations of the mods as shown here. Maybe more professional implementation?
There is a limit to what you can do to these. The pads alone should make quite a difference.

I've done a few mods to my T40RPs.
testing between closed/open/semi. I prefer it closed with no mods. Open with mods (which makes it a little more semi because of cotton).
tape over the bass vents. currently 3 of 4.
Cotton in the cup. have 2 balls per cup.
ZMF oval cowhides
I do a low shelf at 250hz +3dB 15Q and it sounds pretty good to me. No other tweaking needed for my tastes.

I will probably continue to experiment. Long process as I listen for at least 7 days before trying/changing mods.

I use a JDS Atom and Modi3.
The T40RP are the ones I have to turn the volume control up the highest to achieve the same volumes. I'm at around 9 o'clock with HD6xx, He4xx and M1060Cs and closer to 11 o'clock with T40RPs.

I prefer my M1060Cs more than any of the other headphones I have.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #2,505 of 2,832
Do the M1060Cs blow the modded T50RPs out of the water? or just a different sound? That is one can I have really been debating about buying. Though another idea is that a Modi3 might help drive what I have. I don't have any friends that are into cans and I live out in the sticks so I can't just plug into someone else's amp and see what the difference is. So I guess to keep this thread on track here is another question. On T50RP's does having a 1 W amp make a big difference in how the cans sound vs a lower power (say 300 mW) amp? or will it just drive them much louder? I read in another thread that having a more powerful amp pulls out more low end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back