Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
Feb 9, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #2,072 of 2,832
Hey guys, just wanted to share this article from Inner Fidelity. It really takes apart the mk3 and gets down to the details of the differences between the mk2 and mk3s. Pictures, response graphs, and all

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/diyers-delight-fostex-t50rp-mk3#ABReI04P3w7tcyGi.97

The baffle is very different. Very cool

Feb 10, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #2,075 of 2,832
  Measurement Kits

For anyone interested in measuring their headphone FR, distortion, CSD, etc, I have available 3 measurement kits I built, tested, and never used. They are the "Frans (solderdude) Improved Phantom Power Supply" (Dual Stereo version but works in Mono mode) installed inside Altoid tins. They are described at the top of Post 1 in this thread. I'll include a genuine "unobtainium" Panasonic WM-61A microphone with Etymotic IEM triflange tip and soldered 3.5 mm TRS plug.  You must have either a PC or Mac with 3.5 mm mic and 3.5 mm headphone out jacks OR a suitable audio interface.

Gear Chain:
WM-61A plugged into your ear > WM-61A 3.5 mm TRS > Phantom Power Mic IN >  Phantom Power 3.5 mm TRS Line OUT > PC or Mac 3.5 mm TRS Mic IN > PC or Mac 3.5 mm Headphone OUT > Headphones on your head

These measurement kits work with REW and ARTA.

Available for actual cost plus shipping. International OK.  PM if interested.

~ BMF

Update: All 3 measurement kits have been spoken for :)

This is sold!!

If anyone is looking for a measurement kit, I am looking to sell mine that BMF built.  With a kid on the way and work going crazy I don't see any time to tinker on this in the foreseeable future, I would rather have someone using it than it sitting in my drawer.  I got it calibrated and made some measurements and its is really helpful to get an objective look at what your mods are doing.  Shoot me a PM if your interested.  

@bluemonkeyflyer  if you know anyone who was looking for one when you made the original post, let me know.  

US shipping locations only please!

This is sold!!

Feb 17, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #2,076 of 2,832
Have there been any mods that open up the soundstage? I was thinking about drastically modifying some enclosures to give them a more open headphone sound. My only concern is that it will make the bass misbehave. Any thoughts?

Feb 17, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #2,077 of 2,832

If anyone is looking for a measurement kit, I am looking to sell mine that BMF built.  With a kid on the way and work going crazy I don't see any time to tinker on this in the foreseeable future, I would rather have someone using it than it sitting in my drawer.  I got it calibrated and made some measurements and its is really helpful to get an objective look at what your mods are doing.  Shoot me a PM if your interested.  

@bluemonkeyflyer  if you know anyone who was looking for one when you made the original post, let me know.  

US shipping locations only please!

PM me price info

Feb 17, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #2,078 of 2,832
Have there been any mods that open up the soundstage? I was thinking about drastically modifying some enclosures to give them a more open headphone sound. My only concern is that it will make the bass misbehave. Any thoughts?

Mine have a wide, 'open' soundstage, I'm using the hm5 velours modded a la stratopad (do a search for it), no need to modify the enclosure. The FR looks like this:

Warm sound.

Feb 18, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #2,079 of 2,832
Feb 18, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #2,084 of 2,832
nick n just linked to the thread where Stratocaster described his 'stratopads'. In short, sew socks in place of the pleather flaps that secure the pads to the headphone, this way the pressure is reduced and the @ ~100 Hz bass bloom is lessened. Stratocaster tuned this pressure release using a number felt discs between the baffles and the pad donuts, in my case I tuned this with internal damping. The mk3 makes this easier with its 'leaky' baffle, you can control the bloom by blocking or filtering the release of pressure in the baffle ports.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back