Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
Nov 20, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #1,951 of 2,832

Some people do, some people don't.  There's enough debate about it that I'd leave it alone since it's not fully reversible.  Or at least leave it alone until you're sure removing it is going to help the sound you want.

Gotcha. I did notice that the Mad Dogs have it opened up in a video. Speaking of which, has anyone taken one of those things open and checked out the mods? Any pictures or reports of that nature? I haven't seen anything. I know he mentions they have this proprietary stuff, but I imagine it'd be pretty easy to uncover - maybe I'm wrong.

Nov 20, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #1,952 of 2,832
Damnnnn, long ass night of doing all the DBV #3 mods. Made everything but the bass sound great. I'm hoping the Shure 840 pads that are on their way will make a big difference, because it's seriously anemic right now. 

Nov 20, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #1,953 of 2,832
  Damnnnn, long ass night of doing all the DBV #3 mods. Made everything but the bass sound great. I'm hoping the Shure 840 pads that are on their way will make a big difference, because it's seriously anemic right now. 

840 pads will increase bass, also you might reduce ammount of fillings inside cups to your liking

Nov 20, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #1,954 of 2,832

840 pads will increase bass, also you might reduce ammount of fillings inside cups to your liking

I'm going back through everything and checking ways to increase bass, but based on the graphs I'm assuming the 840s are the best for bass levels? Do you know of any other pad that could increase it more? 

Nov 20, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #1,955 of 2,832

I'm going back through everything and checking ways to increase bass, but based on the graphs I'm assuming the 840s are the best for bass levels? Do you know of any other pad that could increase it more? 

mostly fluffy thick ones I guess, it also depends of what foam/filler is inside and if its leather or synthetic or suede etc.
If you are interested in spending about 1 week sewing your own pads then I will be doing tutorials how to do that in few days. I made lot of pictures and I need bit of time to describe each step. It should be easy to follow but it takes time for sewing pads so keep that in mind. Btw. dont worry about the bass you will experience earthquake if you looking for that;D

Nov 20, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #1,956 of 2,832
When I removed the pads, there is a single layer of stock felt over the front of the driver. Is this supposed to be removed? I didn't see it in any of the steps, yet I'm often seeing images similar to this: http://pics.shorty.org/files/1223/Fostex/N82_521-t50rp.jpg

Maybe I missed something, I won't be modifying it for now, but some clarification would be awesome - 

Fostex did this on the mk3s intentionally. It removes a "filter". The RP series has never been known for highs, this helps with that in theory. Check BMFs measurements, I think that as one of them.

It's called "naked driver"

Nov 20, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #1,958 of 2,832
You are mistaken about the 'naked driver' term that BMF used, he was referring to the driver with the white damping paper (inside the cups) removed. Many people remove the front damping paper.

To clarify, I was referring to black felt that is on the outside - the dust cover. I know about the naked driver stuff, and I'm staying away from it. After reading some more I'll be keeping the dust cover as well. Appreciate the help

Dec 1, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #1,959 of 2,832
Guys, I've modded the **** out of this thing and it sounds great. I keep running into this god damn bass rattle (left side) though - I'll crack the thing open, **** with some stuff and it'll go away. Then it'll come back, etc. etc. Any ideas what's causing it? I read about dirt being in the diaphragm, so I'm going to get the vacuum and try something. Damn annoying though.

Edit: No success with the vacuum. This... sucks

Dec 1, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #1,960 of 2,832
  Guys, I've modded the **** out of this thing and it sounds great. I keep running into this god damn bass rattle (left side) though - I'll crack the thing open, **** with some stuff and it'll go away. Then it'll come back, etc. etc. Any ideas what's causing it? I read about dirt being in the diaphragm, so I'm going to get the vacuum and try something. Damn annoying though.

It could be dirt/material in the driver, it could be a wire vibrating against something, or it could be the plastic piece holding the soldering points vibrating against the driver itself. 

Dec 1, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #1,961 of 2,832
  It could be dirt/material in the driver, it could be a wire vibrating against something, or it could be the plastic piece holding the soldering points vibrating against the driver itself. 

Yeah, I realized though because I'm not doing the naked driver there shouldn't be any - I can't imagine how any would get in there. I'm going to keep messing around with it. It's funny because I just landed on a mod I think is about 90% perfect for me, and this crap happens. We'll see -

Dec 1, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #1,962 of 2,832
If you can eliminate the above that PETEREK mentioned and it still persists, and I sure hope you can,
there have been a few cases in the past where it turned out the driver diaphragm itself was warped from the factory for some reason.
I know of two cases at least so far, may be others.
Essentially the faulty diaphragm section that was slightly bowed up contacted the magnets and bottomed out against them at very low bass levels and only at low bass, causing a rattling.
In that case it will need a diaphragm replacement.
Let's hope not.

Dec 1, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #1,963 of 2,832
Good news fellas, rattling is gone for the time being. I did this a few times before but this time did the trick, messing around with the wire inside. Guess I'll just have to remember its position next time. This thing is a bass machine currently, probably why I'm having more issues.

Dec 1, 2015 at 4:06 AM Post #1,964 of 2,832
You could always secure it into a tiny blob of silicone :) if it surfaces again.
 Good news.

Dec 1, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #1,965 of 2,832
I have several question about modding the T40/50's.

1) Has anyone figured out a way to make the sound as neutral as possible but with a boosted sub bass? I'm talking about a fairly flat sound from 100 to 10000hz but with maybe 3-4 db boost going down from 100 to 2hz.  Obviously EQ'ing is one way, but I'm talking about actual physical changes.

2) has anyone tried the Fostex TH900 earpads on the T50? I see they only cost 30 dollars, which is actually cheap compared to other high quality leather pads, half the price of Mr Speakers ones.

3) Are the new drivers in the Mk3 version of these headphones different to the Mk2 or do the mods apply to the Mk3 version as well?

4) And finally,  would angling the driver create similar effects as on regular dynamic drivers? Meaning, better imaging, more forward image and soundstage?  I see that nobody made a custom 3d printed angled baffle, even though who produce these headphones, and wonder if there's an obvious reason for NOT doing it, or did people just not bother with it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back