Fostex T50RP 50th Anniversary Edition
Sep 27, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #62 of 401
I couldn't resist one. I saw it a couple of days ago. These are fabulous headphones, so retro and Japanese. Letters are so cool. Today, they came and fit like a glove, so soft and comfortable. At first, I wasn't impressed with the sound, but when I properly amped them..ooo not bad at all...so much fun! I am so glad I saw it coincidently.

They sound good on tubes and SS (perhaps more exciting). But they need a lot of power, a lot more than Sennheiser 300 ohm.

So happy to have them!!!!

Cheers!

Sep 28, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #63 of 401
How's the soundstage on this? I've heard the regular MK3 described as quite small until you mod it - but since this looks like it has a couple of changes from the original, does this have a larger stage at all?

Sep 29, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #64 of 401
so to me imaging is where things are in the mix and staging is how big the entire mix sounds.

a golden standard for me is the 660s from sennheiser. those cans move sound all over my head, far right ear to far left, but then a 3d or holographic imagine inside the head itself. stuff sounds like it's coming from inside a little concert hall (asaf avidan - different pulses) inside my head - 660s are one of the best cans i own for this.

the imaging and staging on the 5050 is like that - everything is like watching an oled tv in a dark room. sounds pop and have detail. the singer is a whole separate unit from the background music. the banjos plucks distance themselves from the piano in the same range (fiest 1234)

cheaper or lesser performing headphones to me are like skydiving - you're falling at 140mph and damn it's exciting. my nicer cans are like being on a race track and in complete control of your vehicle at breakneck speeds - it's still 140 or so mph, it's still exciting. but now there's control... power is nothing without control. yeah i'm looking at you hifiman he-r10d...

Oct 1, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #68 of 401
The fact that Fostex needs an amplifier is a myth for audiophiles(
They don't need an amplifier, but an equalizer. I say this from T60RP experience, I have tried many different amplifier options.
audio is preferential. if you prefer to eq then *you can eq. nothing *needs anything.

you do things the way you want to - and other people do things the way they want to. the only person who cares about your needs is you. just like i'm the only person that cares about my needs.

i don't eq my 5050 and i do amplify them. big honking hybrid tube amp... see here's a secret... i "need" to see the orange tube glow or the sound is kinda flat to me :wink:

Oct 2, 2023 at 7:08 AM Post #69 of 401
You tried many amps and non of them worked? So now you listening them without an amp?
After various tests of amplifiers, I listened without an amplifier. The equalizer compensated for those frequencies where the “T60RP” had gaps.

Then the interconnect cable frayed, with careful use it lasted 1 year.

During the repair process, I realized that the DT770/990 were made better, more intelligently)) I mean the structure of the can - the DT can closes tightly, the space is the same size.
With the T60RP, you can twist the can with different strengths, there is a circuit board inside the right can, air blows from the right can through the connector, the speakers themselves have a clear noticeable imbalance.

I thought about the stage for a long time, the bass sounds wide and large, and other frequencies sound narrower, due to this it seems that the stage is narrow, but first of all, it is not uniform
But the DT770/990, on the contrary, has a wide and uniform stage and velor rather than leatherette. And the weight is 100 grams less..

The advantage of the T50/60/5050 is that they can play loudly, this gives an advantage in bass power, if you add it with an equalizer, there is no booming when the form is open. And that’s all, then there are only compromises and problems.
I sold the T60RP, in my opinion Fostex are controversial headphones.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #70 of 401
Back to stock pads and I love it. I drive it with the Oppo HA-1 currently, still good at 2 or 3 o'clock volume, I think I will switch to a better amp later. The truth is I enjoy the sound of the anniversary rev. as stock, no reason to modify a special one :) Now I only need a nicer cable. Anyone who need a pair of ZMF Ori lambskin can hmu, I could sell it.

Oct 2, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #71 of 401
About cables...
When I had the T60RP, I bought a Chinese cable for $6, in a local store, also 1.5 meters long, it was more flexible and weighed a little less, and most importantly, rustling and knocking could not be heard through it. I was very surprised, but it didn’t affect the sound either)

What I mean is that the original cable is certainly cool, but it is excessive in price and thickness of the material.

Oct 2, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #72 of 401
About cables...
When I had the T60RP, I bought a Chinese cable for $6, in a local store, also 1.5 meters long, it was more flexible and weighed a little less, and most importantly, rustling and knocking could not be heard through it. I was very surprised, but it didn’t affect the sound either)

What I mean is that the original cable is certainly cool, but it is excessive in price and thickness of the material.
It's hard to find an aftermarket cable for it now. Because of the 2.5mm end, L-shape too.

Oct 4, 2023 at 2:51 AM Post #74 of 401
Back to stock pads and I love it. I drive it with the Oppo HA-1 currently, still good at 2 or 3 o'clock volume, I think I will switch to a better amp later. The truth is I enjoy the sound of the anniversary rev. as stock, no reason to modify a special one :) Now I only need a nicer cable. Anyone who need a pair of ZMF Ori lambskin can hmu, I could sell it.
Pad change drastically changes the sound. Give my mod a try, it uses stock pad. I have two t50 anni to compare the differences. The modded kept the sound signature but tames down the sibilance to borderline levels, no veiling effect. Bass has better texture and body.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back