Fostex T50RP 50th Anniversary Edition
Sep 11, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #46 of 443
Number A0081 arrived today. Need a day or two to make time to listen.

BTW, the DJ44AR (from ddHiFi) is a nice piece of kit.

9/12: Initial Impressions:
Had an opportunity for a quick listen last eve when home from the Gabriel concert (in Toronto).
- A little heavier in weight than my Senn. Momentums 1'st gen. on-ear, but much lighter than my B&W BT PX8's
- Ear pads are ok, no need for me to rush and change them out
- Sounds great through the Fii0 K7 (need the extension cord ordered from Ali so that I can move around while listening)
- The DJ44AR plays just fine with the SONY ZX-500, nice!
- I'm very much ok with the tone of the 5050's, having the Fostex PMO 4.0 self-powered speakers as my mains (smaller is better for me)
- I'm certainly not disappointed with the purchase. Are they $2,000 head-gear? No, and not expected to be, but happy to have them in my possession.

Enjoy, for those taking the plunge!

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #47 of 443
A0380 checking in. unboxed about an hour ago - currently about 15 songs in.

first blush - detailed and it's not ashamed to let you know it. my keep or don't keep with headphones is usually do they have a trick my other cans can't do.

the trick here is instrument separation and detail retrieval. imagine you're in an art gallery and there is a stark white marble bowl with fruit in it and that whole works is sitting on a black velvet blanket with a stupid bright light on it. yeah, all that detail is not just there but is presented in contrast with itself. in those 15 songs i haven't heard a single second of anything approaching muddyness. these things are fast.

going to keep putting these through the paces! curious as to why these have made zero noise aside from literally this thread. especially with how good these sound compared to my other $200ish offerings.

Sep 12, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #48 of 443

first blush - detailed and it's not ashamed to let you know it. my keep or don't keep with headphones is usually do they have a trick my other cans can't do.

the trick here is instrument separation and detail retrieval. imagine you're in an art gallery and there is a stark white marble bowl with fruit in it and that whole works is sitting on a black velvet blanket with a stupid bright light on it. yeah, all that detail is not just there but is presented in contrast with itself. in those 15 songs i haven't heard a single second of anything approaching muddyness. these things are fast.

going to keep putting these through the paces! curious as to why these have made zero noise aside from literally this thread. especially with how good these sound compared to my other $200ish offerings.
They are really that good. Though mine is modded now but still using the stock headphone. They are modded in a way that they stay true and keep their sonic traits while taking some of the sibilance down and added a very musical and dynamic bass. They are energetic and satisfyingly good that I decided to get another pair for good measures and don't have to keep taking it with me to work. They even are getting more head time now than my NDH 30.

Sep 12, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #49 of 443

I can't agree more with you, the separation and contrast. This one is worth more than $200 for sure.

Sep 12, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #50 of 443
Was going to get another pair but it looks like B&H ran out and is waiting for a restock which might not happen. Would have gone with Audio64 as they are expecting stock tomorrow 9/8 but a quick search on Amazon yield result, seller AltoMusic, and went ahead to order a pair.

FWIW to anyone else viewing, these are in-stock right now at Reverb

Sep 12, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #52 of 443
double dragon
IMG_4578.jpeg

Sep 13, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #53 of 443
Well, I've enjoyed dipping my toe into the world of Fostex/planars and have been slightly beguiled by these for the last week or so. But ultimately they are not for me in the long term so if anyone in the UK is looking to try a pair, mine are up on classified :)

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #55 of 443
the cable having 2x2.5mm ends that "lock" is where i'm going to get my replacement cables from. going to snip that cable and connect the ends to a length of cable terminated with a rean neutrik mini xlr

i got my inspiration from browsing around the hart audio cable boutique section.

i personally don't have any soldering equipment but my mates do.... some of that quadstar mic cable and some paracord and boom! bobs, your pa's brother and he's got a fancy set of cans as well!

Sep 14, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #56 of 443
Hi All, Any suggestions for replacement balanced cables?
the cable having 2x2.5mm ends that "lock" is where i'm going to get my replacement cables from. going to snip that cable and connect the ends to a length of cable terminated with a rean neutrik mini xlr

i got my inspiration from browsing around the hart audio cable boutique section.

i personally don't have any soldering equipment but my mates do.... some of that quadstar mic cable and some paracord and boom! bobs, your pa's brother and he's got a fancy set of cans as well!
Check Fog City too.

Sep 18, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #59 of 443
I almost bought a new Fostex.
Then I tied 2 tablespoons weighing 97 grams to my headphones and it became the same weight as my old T60RP.))
You tilt your head forward and realize that you have 380 grams on your head)) To be honest, even 340 grams on your head is no longer comfortable. And I, in short, changed my mind... There is no information about them, but there are some benefits - at least this is the weight and location of the cable connection. I really like the ear pads on the T60RP, they have good sound and fit my ears well, even the material is pleasant.
I sold the T60RP because of channel imbalance, this problem is also frightening, there are many complaints on the Internet about all fostex headphones (That is, the percentage of such defects is significant. The manufacturer says that this does not exist and the Internet is lying. They do not select speakers according to the frequency response, but they cost their headphones are not 3 kopecks.
It's a pity that this is so, I'm interested in the sound of Fostex, but the quality control is poor.
I wonder if air flows through the connector as freely as in the 60th version?
It’s not so easy to make/select your own cable; in the 60s I picked up a simple cable, but without a microphone effect and not made of oak.

Sep 20, 2023 at 6:20 AM Post #60 of 443
Received two 2.5mm TRRS 15ft extensions so not limited to being next to the amp.
The ddHiFi TC44Pro (via iPhone) drives the 5050s using the ddHiFi DJ44AR 2.5 to 4.4 adapter without any issue. My iPhone never sounded so good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back