Fostex T50RP 50th Anniversary Edition
Dec 29, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #316 of 405
^ stock is not for me

^ first impressions of mod1:
- nice tonally (per my tastes and preferred compromises / imo)
- bass roll off not bothersome but noticeable with electronic beats but worth the tradeoffs.
- bass can thump and satisfy despite roll off
- could probably sell this as "Philimon mod" for $400 per

[equipment: jot2, modi mb]
How close would you say the stock T50/50 is to the T50RP MK3?

Dec 29, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #317 of 405
How close would you say the stock T50/50 is to the T50RP MK3?
Very different due to pads. Stock T50RP mk3 uses those standard-issue flat pads which are supraaural with driver resting on ears which will effect tone and soundstage at the least. Stock T50RPmk3 also seems to be prone to quality control issues (glue on driver damping paper) which can effect sound significantly and cause L/R channel imbalance. Other sonic attributes I cant address from old memory, sorry.

Dec 29, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #318 of 405
Sniper came through on round 2 of the T6050 :)

20231228_142242_HDR.jpg

20231228_142349_HDR.jpg

20231228_142529_HDR.jpg

Haven't had a chance to listen much yet, family keeping me busy through the holidays.

Quick comparison with (aged) stock:
20231228_142707_HDR.jpg

Dec 29, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #319 of 405
Very different due to pads. Stock T50RP mk3 uses those standard-issue flat pads which are supraaural with driver resting on ears which will effect tone and soundstage at the least. Stock T50RPmk3 also seems to be prone to quality control issues (glue on driver damping paper) which can effect sound significantly and cause L/R channel imbalance. Other sonic attributes I cant address from old memory, sorry.

I had the glue issue on a pair of Hifiman HE4XX's. The left channel kept cutting out so when I opened the housing for the left speaker I found a tiny piece of paper toweling glued to the input wire. Once I removed the toweling the problem was fixed. I purchased my T50RP MK3's on EBay a few years back with a broken hangar holder, which made them unuseable. I ended up epoxying the broken holder and the headphones work fine now. I paid about $60 for them which was a great value for what was essentially a brand new pair of T50RP MK 3s.
Sniper came through on round 2 of the T6050 :)

Haven't had a chance to listen much yet, family keeping me busy through the holidays.

Quick comparison with (aged) stock:
Very nice! 👍

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #321 of 405
Need!! Did you get it off the resale market?
There is/was(?) a 2nd round of stock up on Amazon.jp announced through Fostex site... I used a service called Remambo that allows you to internationally bid/shop at the major online .jp retailers with their domestic warehouse for reshipping globally with a courier of your choice.

First time using them and it was a bit unnerving trusting them to buy it for me, but they came through like champs :)

Dec 31, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #323 of 405
posted this in t60 thread but this one is more active so hoping for some advice...

welp, after some critical listening last night and making sure the t60s had enough power I have come to the conclusion my right driver rattles. going back to ~feb 2019 in this (T60RP) thread a post mentioned covering the square hole with the white surround made most of the distortion in bass go away and that is the same conclusion I came to. atm, I've only read a couple pages past that looking for resolution but does anybody here currently know what the best route is to fix this issue?

Jan 5, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #324 of 405
I've only read a couple pages past that looking for resolution but does anybody here currently know what the best route is to fix this issue
No idea. If youre more adventurous you could try making sure none of the screws are loose from either not being tightened down enough or perhaps from stripping the wood and now moving freely.

edit: covering any of the driver damping paper holes may effect sound significantly and mods must be done for both channels or imbalance is likely.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #325 of 405
If you dont mind the stock cable being so short then I can recommend this XLR balanced adapter.
IMG_1954.jpeg

Sounds much better from Jot2 balanced output. Not added power necessarily but it sounds tighter (unbalanced from Jot2 sounds relatively warm, too warm for mod1). I still recommend mod1 regardless but ymmv. Ill have comparison to T20RP mod later after returns from loan.

Jan 5, 2024 at 9:12 PM Post #326 of 405
No idea. If youre more adventurous you could try making sure none of the screws are loose from either not being tightened down enough or perhaps from stripping the wood and now moving freely.

edit: covering any of the driver damping paper holes may effect sound significantly and mods must be done for both channels or imbalance is likely.

I was going to update here tonight. So my lubricant came in today and I was able to get some serious listening in today with no anger issues. lol. as of right now, I'm thinking and hoping the distortion is detail none of my other equipment has shown. I'm still trying to find some more audio that reproduces it but doesn't show with my zero reds or blon 03s. I just sold my BD COPs so I have no other over the ear equipment to compare to. as far as finding replacement drivers it appears you have to acquire another pair of hp for replacement drivers. at least this was the case 4 years or so ago. gaming and youtube videos has been flawless so far with no distortion leading me to believe it's detail or artifacts in some recordings.

Jan 14, 2024 at 5:21 PM Post #327 of 405
t60 thread is quiet so going to ask here. I ordered a topping a30 pro hpa. It has XLR, 4.4 and 6.35 outputs, but all are SE. I just want to be sure I can use my 4.4 balanced cable in a SE output. I forgot what situation you're not supposed to do something as it can blow an amp. I saw zeos using a XLR connector with his t60 argons, so I am assuming I will be fine?

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 11:52 AM Post #329 of 405
anybody here have a topping d30 pro for sale? missed some good deals the last 3 weeks. I've checked headfi, hifishark, asr and avexchange on reddit. most for sale from EU.

so my t20s came in today. noticeably smaller. clamping force is tight. day and night difference from the t60 making me wonder if the t60 is even supposed to be that loose. haven't worn long enough to figure out if it's going to be a problem.

oops. had eq for t60 still. flattened it back. the t20s are very mid centric with punchy bass. compressed stage but adequate imaging. hoping stock t60 pads will help it out.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 1:14 PM Post #330 of 405
Hey everyone

Just popping in to post the T50-50 that I just received. Got it to replace my old T50Mk3, it was detereorating and due for a replacement.

All in all, really satisfied with it so far.

Aesthetically, it looks better in person. It's like an amalgamation of each of the best parts from the RP series. Favorite part aesthetically has to be the rubber outer-headband, from the Mk2 right? I hope it lasts a long time.

20240123_173429.jpg

20240123_173644.jpg

20240123_173656.jpg

Only real complaint I have is that the clamping force is too light. Tilt your head a little and it'll fall out of your ears. But nothing else, really.

Three words I'd use to describe it: Clear, bright and vibrant!

One thing I wonder though: if it is true that this is limited to 900 units, how do you know which one you've got? I remember seeing a sticker on the headphones that starts with A, not sure if that's the one.

(Also curious to know if the T60-50th is also limited like this)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back