Fostex T50RP 50th Anniversary Edition
Dec 19, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #286 of 422
Dec 19, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #288 of 422
uh oh. uh oh. my t60 just got shipped. now I have to deal with import fees. I hope they collect at delivery for easiest route.

also, anybody can verify the t20, t40 and t50 all use the same driver? seriously considering making a custom headphone. I came across the diy alpha dog thread and it is very intriguing. the scariest part though is desoldering driver from wires.

Dec 19, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #289 of 422
uh oh. uh oh. my t60 just got shipped. now I have to deal with import fees. I hope they collect at delivery for easiest route.

also, anybody can verify the t20, t40 and t50 all use the same driver? seriously considering making a custom headphone. I came across the diy alpha dog thread and it is very intriguing. the scariest part though is desoldering driver from wires.
I think all three models use the same driver, and are essentially the same headphone with the exception being that the T20RP is open, the T40RP is closed and the T50RP is semi open.

Dec 20, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #292 of 422
that's what I thought. I may have access to a good deal on T20rp and might have it sent to US and get it later. the t20 can double up for tinkering and spare parts for t60.
Or look for a used T20RP, T40RP or T50RP - even a pair that may need some work. I found a new pair of T50RP's on Ebay a few years back that had a broken left front slider holder. I paid about $60 delivered and epoxied the broken slider holder. Great price for a new pair of T50RP's.

Dec 22, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #294 of 422
So what do we think: would they have upped the driver matching and general QC for this special, limited run?

Dec 22, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #295 of 422
So what do we think: would they have upped the driver matching and general QC for this special, limited run?
Interesting thought but at this price doubtful.

Dec 22, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #296 of 422
I have listened to 3 pairs of T5050 (2 of mine and 1 from a local friend) and all 3 does not behave or imply to have channel imbalance. If there is some they are most likely within tolerance. A perfect 1:1 matched or exact mirror image of both L/R drivers on a finished working headphone is unachievable.

Dec 22, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #298 of 422
geez. I didn't have low or gross expectations but the stock tune is surprisingly good to my ears. my ears hate how hot stock ear pads are though. it's going to be a hot and sweaty honeymoon. lmao. but after swapping equipment a couple times and letting burn while I left a couple times I realized I really like the tonality. I imagine it has to be the wood. still waiting on my cheap chinese pads to see how much the tune and tone change. I imagine to keep the stock tune I'm going to have to find the right pad my ears can tolerate. and so far for gaming the soundstage is adequate or maybe even pretty good, at least as good as the zero reds if not more.

I haven't looked up how to get rid of the squeaky wood yet. anybody have a go to suggestion? I bought some gpl 205 keyboard lube for my 8bitdo ultimate but haven't used it yet. it has a metal syringe. or should I go ahead and take it apart and lube proper?

btw, g5 on high gain is very usable with these if anybody wondering or comes across this thread.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #299 of 422
geez. I didn't have low or gross expectations but the stock tune is surprisingly good to my ears. my ears hate how hot stock ear pads are though. it's going to be a hot and sweaty honeymoon. lmao. but after swapping equipment a couple times and letting burn while I left a couple times I realized I really like the tonality. I imagine it has to be the wood. still waiting on my cheap chinese pads to see how much the tune and tone change. I imagine to keep the stock tune I'm going to have to find the right pad my ears can tolerate. and so far for gaming the soundstage is adequate or maybe even pretty good, at least as good as the zero reds if not more.

I haven't looked up how to get rid of the squeaky wood yet. anybody have a go to suggestion? I bought some gpl 205 keyboard lube for my 8bitdo ultimate but haven't used it yet. it has a metal syringe. or should I go ahead and take it apart and lube proper?

btw, g5 on high gain is very usable with these if anybody wondering or comes across this thread.
IMHO, the Fostex T60RP, T50RP and Hifiman HE4XX offer tremendous performance per dollar for planar magnetic headphones,
while setting the bar regarding the law of diminishing returns. These are really good sounding headphones stock, and a bit of equalization
can tailor them to one's particular listening preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back